Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

banco55

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

Now if the US military follows the Muslims lead they'll go and kidnap some washingon post staffers.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

O/T: May I ask if you are actually Natasha Stott Despoja, or are you just impersonating her?

Salima

HSC

davin said:
my thing with Europe was more in reference to that this has drawn the focus of extreme Islamic groups to Europe as a target.

firstly, the nature of the drawings don't MATTER. freedom of speech is for everything. and what do you mean the nature of them? several of them are really nothing other than a drawing of mohommad, the only offensive part being that they exist.

second, i've not seen such a reaction to anything about any leader of a group recently, to the point that there is a demand for economic sanctions, cutting diplomatic ties, etc.
The fact that the prophet is drawn is offensive yes. You wouldn't draw jesus or thepope having sex with the disciples or bishops or jesus' mother mary as a whore. That is offensive and would cause uprage in the cahtollic and chiristian world..and also muslim people would find it offensive because he is a prophet too. It is plain offensive.

If it was a leader of some sort hten it would be less offensive, but this is a prophet you're talking about it is therefore different. YOu know?! Of course...Maybe some people who are perhaps athiest won't feel empathy becuase they don't have that osrt of following..you know? Religious beliefs of that sort...

I don't see why people jsut can't ascpet that it is highly offensive or wrong...freedom of speech has nothing to do with it and everyone knows that!

It's all about Bush:mad1: , and spurring on his war on terrorism...a piece propaganda.:eek: It's just like when America and hte rest of the world attack anybody else they hate trying to demonise them...and this is the only way they think is possible...like how america made russians babarians who ate peoples babies and have no mercy and are drunken fools...much like they did to the germans during the war in cartoons. It's the same thing..but it doesn't make it anymore less offensive than it is.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Actually people do draw Jesus. All the time. They even draw him in an offensive manner, and the church barely raises an eyebrow. Muslims need to lighten up.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC

withoutaface said:
Actually people do draw Jesus. All the time. They even draw him in an offensive manner, and the church barely raises an eyebrow. Muslims need to lighten up.
But the difference is the fact that Christians themselves draw Jesus (peace be upon him), the issue here is more the fact that they "drew" the Prophet (peace be upon him) moreso than the way he was depicted. Even if the pictures were to be very decent and perhaps even portraying the Prophet and Islam in a good way, Muslims would still feel offended by the very fact that he was "drawn".

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

physician said:
Even if the pictures were to be very decent and perhaps even portraying the Prophet and Islam in a good way, Muslims would still feel offended by the very fact that he was "drawn".
Why?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

he already explained why earlier

my rough translation of it was: because muslims are easily influenced fools, so it is important if one is in a position of power to make increasingly rediculous rules and see who is blind enough to follow them.

the justification for such a rule being made was because they didnt want muhamed to be drawn as a particular race or tribe, just so that others relate in appearances and converts more to islam, they wanted people to follow based on his word alone.

Still doesnt explain why it is an insult or an offence for non-muslims, or those living in non-muslim countried to be forced to comply with this rule, sure do whatever you want in your own wacky, fucked up religion and your own fucked up countries, but dont impose your laws and rules on us

Serius said:
he already explained why earlier

my rough translation of it was: because muslims are easily influenced fools, so it is important if one is in a position of power to make increasingly rediculous rules and see who is blind enough to follow them.

the justification for such a rule being made was because they didnt want muhamed to be drawn as a particular race or tribe, just so that others relate in appearances and converts more to islam, they wanted people to follow based on his word alone.

Still doesnt explain why it is an insult or an offence for non-muslims, or those living in non-muslim countried to be forced to comply with this rule, sure do whatever you want in your own wacky, fucked up religion and your own fucked up countries, but dont impose your laws and rules on us
imagine if an muslim country did an offensive cartoon about Jesus. Christians would be really pissed. But this cartoon went beyond that and mocked the entire religion. "One showed him wearing a turban shaped as a bomb."
not only mocking mohammad, its labelling all muslims as terrorists, its obviously more than just they dont want an image published. I dont think there trying to impose laws and rules on us, people also have the right to disagree and be offended with wats published. Y couldnt they simply sue the newspaper.

when was this published anyway, how comes its being hyped now?

Blissed

HSC
N/A

codereder said:
imagine if an muslim country did an offensive cartoon about Jesus. Christians would be really pissed. But this cartoon went beyond that and mocked the entire religion. "One showed him wearing a turban shaped as a bomb."
not only mocking mohammad, its labelling all muslims as terrorists, its obviously more than just they dont want an image published. I dont think there trying to impose laws and rules on us, people also have the right to disagree and be offended with wats published. Y couldnt they simply sue the newspaper.

when was this published anyway, how comes its being hyped now?
True. I guess it's okay for anyone to make illustrations of anything so long as the law supports it. It's just a shame such a repuatable newspaper (voted one of the best in the EU) to publish something this offensive. All the illustrations were offensive in a way, and Muslims have the right to speak their minds and protest against it.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

physician said:
But the difference is the fact that Christians themselves draw Jesus (peace be upon him), the issue here is more the fact that they "drew" the Prophet (peace be upon him) moreso than the way he was depicted. Even if the pictures were to be very decent and perhaps even portraying the Prophet and Islam in a good way, Muslims would still feel offended by the very fact that he was "drawn".[/QUOTE]

umm muhammad has been drawn in a decent way before.

davin

HSC
N/A

Salima said:
The fact that the prophet is drawn is offensive yes. You wouldn't draw jesus or thepope having sex with the disciples or bishops or jesus' mother mary as a whore. That is offensive and would cause uprage in the cahtollic and chiristian world..and also muslim people would find it offensive because he is a prophet too. It is plain offensive.
well, if its just that its unfair, waht about the cartoons that attack Jews taht tend to show up, such as IN the islamic world? why don't those gov'ts feel irresonsible for allowing those to be printed?

Salima said:
If it was a leader of some sort hten it would be less offensive, but this is a prophet you're talking about it is therefore different. YOu know?! Of course...Maybe some people who are perhaps athiest won't feel empathy becuase they don't have that osrt of following..you know? Religious beliefs of that sort...
i don't think we can apply religious terms in a generally secular world

Salima said:
I don't see why people jsut can't ascpet that it is highly offensive or wrong...freedom of speech has nothing to do with it and everyone knows that!
Freedom of speech has EVERYTHING to do with it. first, now, there is the apparent issue that drawing mohommad is offensive as an act, but beyond that its split about which ones seem to be actually containing offensive content and which ones do not.
Offensive material DOES count as freedom of speech. What about your attack against the U.S.? Don't you think that painting america with such a harsh attitude and all americans with such broad strokes would be viewed as offensive by some people as well?
Its alright to say something is offensive, that you disagree, that you think it was in bad taste. The difference is trying to say that the gov't should have laws against 'bad taste' or when a country is punished for allowing free speech.

Salima said:
It's all about Bush:mad1: , and spurring on his war on terrorism...a piece propaganda.:eek: It's just like when America and hte rest of the world attack anybody else they hate trying to demonise them...and this is the only way they think is possible...like how america made russians babarians who ate peoples babies and have no mercy and are drunken fools...much like they did to the germans during the war in cartoons. It's the same thing..but it doesn't make it anymore less offensive than it is.
If you want to link this to Bush, shouldn't you also note that the U.S. State Dept has actually taken a position against the cartoons having been published? This entirely a European issue...America isn't involved, and certainly not responsible. This came about not from the war on terror america is involved in, but the culture clash that europe is facing.

Blissed said:
Sashatheman, does it say anywhere here http://www.petitiononline.com/danmark/petition.html that the images were offensive because of the way they are portraying the prophet (i.e. as a terrorist for example)?
Related note, in many islamic countries, there were additional cartoons also claimed to have been printed, but weren't, they didn't feel they had to clarify that. Second, if you are signing the petition, one would hope that you knew the content of the cartoons, if you were of such a view that content would make a difference. Three, also, only some have offensive content.

And I think its interesting that the general reaction to the cartoons, which were drawn to go with an article about how a book was having trouble finding an author because Islamic extremists would threaten them for drawing Mohommad has drawn out such amounts of violence, or threats of, from what we are told is by nature a peaceful religion. It seems contradictory, to me, that those practicing a peaceful religion would, say, make an anouncement that any Danes, Norweigians, or French found in Gaza will be killed.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Blissed said:
Sashatheman, does it say anywhere here http://www.petitiononline.com/danmark/petition.html that the images were offensive because of the way they are portraying the prophet (i.e. as a terrorist for example)?
its common knowledge that muslims think its offensive, but thats not the purpose of the petition , it exists because they find it offensive, and want free speech removed, and are creating boycotts of the whole country, threatening terrorist attacks, and will kill any people from denmark or france if they set foot into muslim country.

well considering that islam produces an enormous amount of terrorists, and since muhammad was the one who started islam , the satire in the cartoon obviously has a good reason to exist.

that being offensive to you or not, is not the issue of the petition, rather that those images can exist without muslims having hissy fits, and trying to scare europe into following their faith, and forgetting freedom of speech.

oh and the picture of muhammd with a bomb, is the most contaversial, the other ones have even less reason for muslims to get so angry.

davin

HSC
N/A

heck, i can see why some of them would be offensive based on content. but i don't care. thats the premise of free speech, that you can say anything, without it depending on how many people it offends.

volition

arr.
HSC

I can understand if they're upset, but I can't understand why they think this gives them the right to try and take away free speech or go and start threatening people with bombings.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Blissed said:
Can't you see it doesn't matter WHAT is portrayed, the whole thing was done in an exercise to test the waters in how the Muslim world wants to censor democratic rights such as free speech (we should be able to make humour out of anything without physical violence). The pictures are pure SATIRE which is sending up the association between Islam and terrorism in the same way Bill Clinton was constantly cartooned with semen on his pants and is sending up the link.

The cartoon can be interpreted in many ways as a stereotypical view of a Muslim or is critiquing the oppressiveness the religion has on free speech and encourages people to not feel oppressed towards criticising ANY religion which anyone should be able to do freely as any ideology such as Communism, Nazism, Zionism and other -isms including jism which shows the association with Bill Clinton.

davin

HSC
N/A

yeah, definitly. its very worrisome, since i don't see compromise coming, as its western views of freedom vs islamic views of....well.... "don't do something we don't like", basicly

HSC

Yeah, I don't see the European States giving any ground over this issue. This is going to make the muslims angrier which could lead to direct or indirect conflict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)