MQ General chatter thread (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I know the new course sucks..I don't get it at all. I want to stick with BMedia
I don't really care that they've altered the course for future classes... but the fact they're fucking with the degree we're CURRENTLY enrolled in is really pissing me off. they've abolished all their 'print media' subjects even though they've kept radio production, screen production..... print media is the entire reason i chose this course. i also can't find anything on the site that lists the compulsory subjects for BMedia, which i know DID exist a month or so ago....... ugh. pissed.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't really care that they've altered the course for future classes... but the fact they're fucking with the degree we're CURRENTLY enrolled in is really pissing me off. they've abolished all their 'print media' subjects even though they've kept radio production, screen production..... print media is the entire reason i chose this course. i also can't find anything on the site that lists the compulsory subjects for BMedia, which i know DID exist a month or so ago....... ugh. pissed.
Program of Study - 2009 Course Handbook - Macquarie University

Follow the 2009 copy, I suggest you print it out for safe keeping, never know what could happen.

And as for Print, I doubt it'd be abolished, they just changed all the names/unit codes:

MAS210 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
MAS211 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
MAS215 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
MAS310 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
MAS311 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
MAS314 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University

*rUsTy*

HSC
Would it be safe to assume that they won't be sending out the enrolment packs until after the main round offers? I already got an offer and accepted last week but am eager to find out about enrolment stuff.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Cool thanks. I was there today lodging CPS forms and the girl I spoke to said they don't send out packs and that all the info should be on the site. I since checked the site and it said that all subjects including your personal offers should all have information about enrolment on the 16th.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Re-enrolment in units / class registration is now open again ( a little early) on eStudent, in case anyone was interested.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Is anyone else not able to add units???

i want to add accg200 and bba350. i can't do it :(

*rUsTy*

HSC
Grr, the lecture for one of my units in Semester 2 is full. Yep, the one and only lecture. People at enrolment today said just to keep it and go to it regardless and just to register for the tute... is that allowed?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Grr, the lecture for one of my units in Semester 2 is full. Yep, the one and only lecture. People at enrolment today said just to keep it and go to it regardless and just to register for the tute... is that allowed?
Yup, e-student is just shit that's all.

tinfoilhat

HSC
essentially it doesn't matter as maycat said... but you can email the convenor explaining that you're unable to register for the lecture and they're able to increase the number of places

vds700

HSC
That should be fine, though there could be a problem if that subject has class tests held during lecture time, then it might fill up on those occasions.

Normally, no lecture is ever so full that you can't get a seat.

Neon Bible

HSC
Quick question; if a unit is listed as d1 or d2 or whatever, is it expected that it would stay like that next year or do they change around?

X

xeuyrawp

Quick question; if a unit is listed as d1 or d2 or whatever, is it expected that it would stay like that next year or do they change around?
Generally units stay the same offering. Occasionally first-year arts units will swap, but generally they stay the same. It depends on the area of study though, really.

Neon Bible

HSC
Cool beans.

Another quick question;

ive enrolled in a english unit but all the classes are full, i was told to not really worry about lectures but what about seminars? cause theyre all full. (ive phoned the dept and left a msg)

thanks.

williamc

HSC
seminars are similar to lectures, but they are different in structure, just attend whatever one fits your timetable.

In my experience, seminar attendance has never been monitored (so you can go to anyone)

antiloli

HSC
Bear with me. I'm a first year 2010 and due to a number of ridiiiiculous mistakes on the part of the university (long story), I wasn't able to enrol in units up until 2 days ago (awesome), as a result I've had to mess with my timetable/units constantly in order to get anything remotely close to what I wanted.

My main problem at the moment is that I enrolled in MKTG 101 for second semester and while there are tonnes of tutes left to pick from only one lecture out of 3 remains which happens to be from 7pm till 9pm on a Friday night, gross. According to estudent there are 469 places available in this lecture which I guess means that more or less no one is registered for it. Even worse I live on the central coast and it takes an hour and a half to get home which means even if I left mac at 9 (ha) I'd get home at 10:30 (ew).
What I'm trying to say is

a) What the shit were the people who created that timeslot thinking?

and

b) As the other two lectures have 0 vacancies, what options do I have?

Any help would be appreciated (Y)

Tabris

HSC
If the lecture has no room to enrol in then just leave it as it is. No one marks the roll in the lecture and no one will check if you really belong to that lecture or not.

Just rock up to your preferred lecture time and take a seat. After a couple of weeks you will start to see more empty seats as people starting bludging and just listen to the ilectures.

As for the timetabling system. Macquarians at least have a choice, people at USYD get their timetables selected for them and the results can be very ugly.

I use to travel 1:30hr each way but I tried to use that time as productive as possible by doing my readings on the trains.

antiloli

HSC
Awesome, thankyou!

Another question:

what happens if you enrol in a unit that has 2 lectures and a tutorial and you get automatically registered into the lectures but all the tutes are full?

Tabris

HSC
if the tutes are full, just rock up early anyway and take a seat.

When the tutor asks why you are not on the role, just say that you were enrolled late and all the tutes were full.

Theres usually room for an extra person or two (sometimes a student goes next door and grabs an extra seat). Just give the teacher your name and number and he/she will add you on.

I have never in my 5 years at Macq wheere tutor kicked someone out because he wasnt on the roll (unless there was absolutely no room and there is a safety/fire OHS issue)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)