• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie grading policy changed. I've from some friends who reckon we now only get a a grade e.g HD,D,C,P or F with no mark. Not sure if this true. Anyone shed some light on this?

http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/grading/policy.html

I've only heard that assessment policy has changed and the grading policy still looks the same?
That means that individuals are awarded a seperate (50% or more) individual mark in group work, and that in some subjects you can repeat hurdles etc.

http://teche.ltc.mq.edu.au/assessment-policy-3-changes-need-know/#more-11766

So I highly doubt we'd not get a mark on our transcripts.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/grading/policy.html
I've only heard that assessment policy has changed and the grading policy still looks the same?
I agree to this. All my classes so far have discussed and emphasised the changes to the assessment policy, but none have mentioned changes to the grading policy.

Based on the fact we haven't been told to the contrary, I'd say the policy hasn't changed.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I agree to this. All my classes so far have discussed and emphasised the changes to the assessment policy, but none have mentioned changes to the grading policy.

Based on the fact we haven't been told to the contrary, I'd say the policy hasn't changed.
Yeah its confusing cause they are only talking about the changes to the assessment policy but not the grading policy changes. I spoke to my lecturer this morning and he has said that we no longer get a mark.

Pisses me of so much much as now if you get a 64 or 63 you wont see that on your transcript youll just see a pass and have the same grade as someone who got a 50, same if you get a 73 same as someone who got 65. Hopefully my lecturer is just confused and is wrong

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
The current grading policy - In effect from Semester 2, 2016
http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/assessment/schedule_1.html

"2.2 The attainment (or otherwise) of learning outcomes for units of study are reported:

(i) by grade and mark: the mark and grade must correspond as indicated in the Schedule below; or

(ii) by grade only: the grade should be either Satisfactory or Fail."

There is nothing in the current policy that states you only receive a letter final grade. You should receive a numerical value as well. Your lecturer is definitely confused.

It is possible you have a pass/fail unit, in which case you don't receive a mark, just "satisfactory" or "fail"

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Additonally:
GPA calculation for students who commence at Macquarie University from 1 January 2017 and onwards
For students who commence at Macquarie University from 1 January 2017, their GPA will be calculated on a 7-point scale as detailed below:

http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/assessment/schedule_1.html

From 2017, MQ will be using a 7 point scale for GPA for new students.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Thanks for that. Now I don't know what to believe lol, cause it definitely reads like we get a mark and a grade.

They have removed this paragraph which was on the old grading policy:
STANDARDISED NUMERICAL GRADE (SNG)
The number assigned to a grade, known as the Standardised Numerical Grade (SNG) reflects the extent to which student attainment matches the descriptors. For example, an SNG of 65 demonstrates performance that shows the achievement of the minimum set of attributes that satisfy the credit standard; an SNG of 70 demonstrates the achievement of a credit standard above the minimum but below the level of the distinction standard; an SNG of 75 is a performance that shows the achievement of the minimum set of attributes that satisfy the distinction standard.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to be certain, make a submission through ask.mq.edu.au and/or email the unit coordinator.

Obviously there is confusion and rumours and students may not understand they policy changes.

The only thing I just noticed join re reading the policy again is 2.3 Grades for all individual assessment tasks will be released to students; it is not essential to also release the mark.

This seems to imply that an individual assessment merely needs a HD/D/P etc grade, and a numerical value doesn't not need to be released. Grade specifically refers to the alphabetical value, and range/mark are numerical.

It clearly states final grades are Grade AND Mark, or Grade (Satisfactory/Fail) . Individual assessments can just have a grade, but on your transcript, you will get a number aligning to your result.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Also an update, I called the Faculty of Business and Economics and the lady said its become some grey area, where now some lecturers will only give a grade others may give a mark and some may give both but she said she wasn't 100% sure as it happened recently and will get back to me. She also said there is a push for the faculty to keep it consistent and will speak to the convenors on this soon who will update the students shortly.

Please let me know if you hear anything from your lecturers next week.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
If you want to be certain, make a submission through ask.mq.edu.au and/or email the unit coordinator.

Obviously there is confusion and rumours and students may not understand they policy changes.

The only thing I just noticed join re reading the policy again is 2.3 Grades for all individual assessment tasks will be released to students; it is not essential to also release the mark.

This seems to imply that an individual assessment merely needs a HD/D/P etc grade, and a numerical value doesn't not need to be released. Grade specifically refers to the alphabetical value, and range/mark are numerical.

It clearly states final grades are Grade AND Mark, or Grade (Satisfactory/Fail) . Individual assessments can just have a grade, but on your transcript, you will get a number aligning to your result.
I think you just hit the nail on the head. We get a mark and grade at the end of the semester but may not necessarily get both for individual assessments.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I swear none of my lecturers have really mentioned any of the changes :/

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I swear none of my lecturers have really mentioned any of the changes :/
They put it at the bottom of the unit guides in the Policies and procedures section.

I think that's what originally caused me to panic because the unit guides state "Grading Policy prior to Session 2 2016 http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/grading/policy.html" implying there was a new grading policy this semester.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Both my classes today I had my lecturer/uc as my tutor.

Goodbye, anonymity!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh my god. I got the same awful accg224 tutor as last semester.

Sent an email to change classes, thankfully they moved me.

He even came up to me at the end of class and said "Maybe you should request a different tutor for a new learning experience". He knows I hate him. (Do you think the death staring or the sarcasm tipped him off?)

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
hahaha you need to improve those death staring skills to make it more subtle

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh my god. I got the same awful accg224 tutor as last semester.

Sent an email to change classes, thankfully they moved me.

He even came up to me at the end of class and said "Maybe you should request a different tutor for a new learning experience". He knows I hate him. (Do you think the death staring or the sarcasm tipped him off?)
Well let's hope that you don't end up getting someone worse!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I ended up messaging my friends from our class last semester.
Turns out one of them failed also (I know of about 7 people who failed, which is really odd because I know nobody) and he's in the tutorial I've moved too. Hes had that tutor before and says they aren't bad.

I hope he's right! To be fair, you really can't get much worse than the guy I had.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Looks like conception day is back...

Well an event with the word conception is anyway

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know how long we get to answer the online Business Law quizzes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)