Minor details to look out for during Ps test (1 Viewer)

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
So yeah... Im going for my Ps soon and would like to know the minor details they look for such as blind spot checks and that.
Also, for three point turns, can you use a driveway?

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad
Umm, get yourself an instructor, they know everything your asking for. GL

deviouswatch

HSC
Ok for a 3pt turn, you will be performing it in up to 5 maneuvres(changes of direction)
however you should do it in 3. You are not to use a driveway as that is leaving the road surface and you will fail your test. You have to pull over as if you are doing a kerbside stop, ie do the head checks & indicators. Stop, indicate right, turn the wheel then move off. After moving the car across the road, you haver to do all your head checks again, reverse, stop, do more head checks then go.

In general, the testing officer is assessing you every 300m. So in that, 300m, he will be looking for a vision check, a possible hazard, vehiocle control and all that mumbo jumbo.
As a result, to get all your marks, keep an eye on the following:
- Head checks whenever you change lanes, and an extra head check when you cross a bike lane
- Indicate out of all roundabouts, ie change to left blinker when crossing the exit before your intended exit.
- Check all ways when entering an intersection & crossing one
- Always stop at an orange light. ALWAYS.

also do yourself a favor and get an instructor, and make sure all your brake lights & indcators are working.

I'd be happy to elaborate more.
-D

deviouswatch

HSC
not if have to slam the brakes

also make it very clear that you are doing head checks
While I do agree with you, the Testing officers don't.
Mates of mine have failed because they just went through the start of an orange light.
The law states you have to stop unless doing so would cause an accident. ( car hard up your bum). Even then, they should be far enough back from you to stop safely.(should, most never are so kind to LPlaters.)
After asking my testing officer (because I stepped hard on the brakes for an orange during my test) if I would have failed if I entered, he said yes.

But yeah, on top of that I have said, also check your mirrors and blind spots when there's nothing better do do, ie cruising on a general road. It shows awareness.
And as Kaz has said, make sure you clearly TURN YOUR HEAD for a head check.

Last edited:

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically drive like you're paranoid :p
And thanks for the tips

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
make sure you drop a mad skid; the instructors foam from the mouth when they see a good skid...

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Make sure your boot is shut properly

That how i failed my test

R U Serious?

Last edited:

williamdaft

HSC
relax and breathe.

exaggerate your head motion a lot when turning your entire head almost 180 degrees when merging or kerb side stop.

indicate left when exiting roundabouts.

count 5 Mississippis before leaving the kerb.

park less than 500mm from the kerb when doing a reverse parallel.

control the steering wheel smoothly with BOTH hands.

control the accelerator and breaks smoothly, so don't break suddenly or accelerate exponentially.. I lose points for this one.. lame.

stop behind a car at a reasonable length (a car's length or a bit less) when there's red lights.

always drive about 3-5km under the limit.. I lost points for driving 8-10km under the limit... super lame. Don't drive 1km under the limit, you lose points for being too marginal.

make a lot of observation checks in the rear mirrors.

good luck mate

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^ Turning your head 180 degrees is dangerous :haha:

I think 120 degrees would do. No more than 140.

And btw, this thread is old lol.

williamdaft

HSC
^ LOL didn't realise how old this thread was.

and yeah, I was exaggerating. But seriously, 90 degrees won't suffice.. they're mean :haha:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My tester was fine.

I mean my head checks are so fast (back then and now) that you can miss them in an eye blink.

Though the instructor knew I was a good driver from the get go. There is a big difference between comfortable good drivers and poor ones.

Either the person functions the car smoothly with their foot and hand operations (that is has absolute control over the car), can buffer on the road properly and can watch out for hazards and other problems which they prevent the need for the prevention of danger in the first place.

Many people don't realise that accidents are caused as the actions 10-20 seconds before played a major part in causing the accident.

Sup3rDry

HSC
Ok for a 3pt turn, you will be performing it in up to 5 maneuvres(changes of direction)
however you should do it in 3. You are not to use a driveway as that is leaving the road surface and you will fail your test. You have to pull over as if you are doing a kerbside stop, ie do the head checks & indicators. Stop, indicate right, turn the wheel then move off. After moving the car across the road, you haver to do all your head checks again, reverse, stop, do more head checks then go.

In general, the testing officer is assessing you every 300m. So in that, 300m, he will be looking for a vision check, a possible hazard, vehiocle control and all that mumbo jumbo.
As a result, to get all your marks, keep an eye on the following:
- Head checks whenever you change lanes, and an extra head check when you cross a bike lane
- Indicate out of all roundabouts, ie change to left blinker when crossing the exit before your intended exit.
- Check all ways when entering an intersection & crossing one
- Always stop at an orange light. ALWAYS.

also do yourself a favor and get an instructor, and make sure all your brake lights & indcators are working.

I'd be happy to elaborate more.
-D
Not sure about this. I don't think people even do this?

DLMisme

HSC
Well you are supposed to, though most people I see don't. If you can't safely indicate when leaving the roundabout, it's ok but I would definitely try to be doing it every time during the driving test.

williamdaft

HSC
Well you are supposed to, though most people I see don't. If you can't safely indicate when leaving the roundabout, it's ok but I would definitely try to be doing it every time during the driving test.
yeah true, I have reasons why the rule is actually dangerous. There's no really any point in indicating after leaving a roundabout, it's important indicating when entering so other people know which direction you're going. Secondly, indicating left when exiting a roundabout while you are turning the steering wheel is actually dangerous as you have only one hand turning the wheel.. and especially in a small roundabout, there is limited time to indicate left or that your turn might be a bit off.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Only on multi-laned roundabouts.

yeah true, I have reasons why the rule is actually dangerous. There's no really any point in indicating after leaving a roundabout, it's important indicating when entering so other people know which direction you're going. Secondly, indicating left when exiting a roundabout while you are turning the steering wheel is actually dangerous as you have only one hand turning the wheel.. and especially in a small roundabout, there is limited time to indicate left or that your turn might be a bit off.
It is very dangerous to do it on single-laned roundabouts for this reason:

Some idiots on a single-laned roundabout indicate left from entering the roundabout but are stupid enough to go straight through and almost cause accidents because they don't turn left.

I never indicated left coming out of single lane roundabouts in the test and I did perfectly fine because it is absolutely unnecessary. Though it is sometimes helpful for you if the next driver is supremely drunk and stupid enough to not give way to a car turning.

But on multilaned roundabouts it is very necessary to indicate left out as it lets other drivers behind you (or sometimes in front) that they must give way to you.

D94

HSC
N/A
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rr2008104/s118.html

The law states you must indicate left when you leave a roundabout, if practicable. Generally, on smaller roundabouts, it is not practicable because you would be already out of the roundabout before you even have the chance to indicate. But that doesn't mean it's impossible - also depends how fast you are going.

On multi lane roundabouts, it is very much practicable, and you should definitely indicate on your test. You should also do a blindspot check as your leave a multi lane roundabout. Many multi lane roundabouts merge into single lanes at the exit, so you must also do another blindspot check.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Makes sense actually. I'm never near any big roundabouts when driving so I can't really do it. But will keep it in mind now. Yeah that's true about multi-laned roundabouts they usually do merge into one lane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)