med or dead....? (1 Viewer)

Revelrous

HSC
im being realistic

unsw open day lecture '09
they say theres only spaces for 200 people for med

you can do a special thing where you go medical science then transfer in without losing any time but its a bit ehhhh

plus unless you're top 100 or so you have to go into rural areas and help do abortions for hybrid sheep/human babies

emmcyclopedia

HSC
adv: 1/40........93
hx1: 1/11........100
ee2: 2/6..........95
mod: 2/30.......93
art: 3/11.........95
ee1: 4/8...........89
jap: 20/120 (OHS).........85~
ipt: 91 (2008 HSC) (i could have worked harder for this.)

school rank in 40s.
nice subjects....but no science or maths, and you want to do med? that struck me as odd... any reason you chose humanitarian subjects instead?

good luck with med btw, i'm in the same boat =)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
It's a shame you didn't choose better scaling subjects, but I'd say you'll hit 97ish, which means you can still get into med with a good UMAT.

@ Revelrous: They only have 15 spaces for transfers from med science to med per year. And considering more than half of the people in med science are going for the transfer, good luck lol.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
@ revelrous probability-wise, yes i will probably fail that. but i have confidence in my communication skills.

@emmcyclopedia yeah, i didn't know i even wanted to do this until april this year...and i'm terrible at maths. if i get in i should do a bridging course in chem. good luck to you too :)

Revelrous

HSC
@ Revelrous: They only have 15 spaces for transfers from med science to med per year. And considering more than half of the people in med science are going for the transfer, good luck lol.
do they let the top 15 in each year regardless of their skills?
even if theyre completely shit they still get in?

whats the diff between med science and regular med anyway?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
nice subjects....but no science or maths, and you want to do med? that struck me as odd... any reason you chose humanitarian subjects instead?

good luck with med btw, i'm in the same boat =)
humanitarian? that has a much different meaning to humanities subjects.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
humanitarian? that has a much different meaning to humanities subjects.
haha, yeah i see your point - at 1AM, a sciences student should not try and discuss "humanities" as she will most certainly mince her words! but in my defence, i must say the term "humanitarian" does in an abstract sense denote a concern for human values and social reforms both in the present and the past, something of which is undoubtedly covered in histext/modern, no?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
haha, yeah i see your point - at 1AM, a sciences student should not try and discuss "humanities" as she will most certainly mince her words! but in my defence, i must say the term "humanitarian" does in an abstract sense denote a concern for human values and social reforms both in the present and the past, something of which is undoubtedly covered in histext/modern, no?
haha. well, i guess, i'll take that =].

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
how about we split them into non-essay subjects (maths), essays with facts (eco etc.) and essays with bullshit (history, english)?

astroe

HSC
This kind of goes for most subjects, but since Medicine is more emperical...
Like you'd learn the necessary skills to become a proficient doctor any university you go, wouldn't you?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Yeah, all medical schools are essentially equal (but can differ in lecture/discussion type lessons) because they're nationally regulated? (I think).

zvyx

HSC
always try as hard as possible in the hsc, its the easiest and quickest way to get into whatever you want. the pathway into med via medsci is extraordinarily difficult academic-wise, because med sci is essentially medicine without the clinical side, and you've got a ton of super-keen ppl aiming to get into that first-year med sci at unsw pathway.

and yes, all med courses nationally accredited, and some have differing structures, but that's another thing altogether.

ps, op: i like that adv eng ranking of yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)