Med or Combined Law more difficult to get into? (1 Viewer)

HSC
UMAT was the hardest test I ever did in my whole life, including my 4unit trial.
I agree about the 3rd section in UMAT, but besides that the first section isn't TOO bad, and the second section is a lot simpler if you have a broad vocabulary.

Med is harder, wait till you actually experience UMAT and interview.
I actually went through the process and I think it's really overrated. I can't even begin to tell you how often I'd hear complaints of how hard/impossible it was....

I was offered an interview at UWS, but didn't go as I was in mood that I was going to get an ATAR of less than 90 (so I don't have the interview experience). Stupid, but I think things turned out for the better.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree about the 3rd section in UMAT, but besides that the first section isn't TOO bad, and the second section is a lot simpler if you have a broad vocabulary.
I guess it depends person to person, when it comes to UMAT I think you either have it or you don't, you can't really work on it.

danal353

HSC
I imagine that most people would want to do either one or the other. I doubt there are many who would be torn between chosing so it doesn't really matter which one is harder to get into...

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I imagine that most people would want to do either one or the other. I doubt there are many who would be torn between chosing so it doesn't really matter which one is harder to get into...
what u have described there does not include the two groups of people we call asians and curries. these curious creatures decide degrees based on which one is the harder to get into to show off how good they are academically without needing to state what ATAR they got.

call me racist but the truth is that 99% of asians/curries who get the high scores go into law or medicine. i.e. i know non-azn/curries with 99.95 UAIs who go on to do arts or science. if an asian/curry did this, they would be dis-owned.

HSC
what u have described there does not include the two groups of people we call asians and curries. these curious creatures decide degrees based on which one is the harder to get into to show off how good they are academically without needing to state what ATAR they got.
LOL! That is 100% true.

This 20 second video best encapsulates how most Asian/Indian families operates:

YouTube - You Doctor Yet?

All laughs aside however, the truth is, that such families will not even consider the thought of 'doing what you want' - it's like arranged marriages, you're parents know what YOU want, and what's best for you.

As Doctors/Lawyers are the two most high status professions, parents of these parents want these jobs for their children. Can you blame them? They don't know about the 10 or so years or study that doctors need to do, or the law hours they have to work etc, all they see is high status.

What's worse is that most asian families will only offer two choices to their kids in terms of universities:

You either go to USYD or UNSW. That's it. The other institution, in their eyes are either not worthy, or do not exist. Why? Because such parents hear talks from friends, and see how difficult the ATAR cutoff is to get into these two unis, and hence assume they're the best. Combined with the fact that they know nothing about obscure unis like Charles Sturt etc, it's not hard to see their viewpoint.

So in asian families do you get a choice of what you like? Of course you do. But unfortunately the pool of selection isn't that big - it's limited to two things - do you prefer being a doctor, or a lawyer? Trust me, the values will be instilled so hevaily into the kids of these families that they will always choose one of the two....

John555

HSC

call me racist but the truth is that 99% of asians/curries who get the high scores go into law or medicine. i.e. i know non-azn/curries with 99.95 UAIs who go on to do arts or science. if an asian/curry did this, they would be dis-owned.
True. Most asians care about either status (showing off) or money (also for showing off). Thats why the commerce/business courses are flooded with asians doing finance/banking/actuarial.

danal353

HSC
But these are generalisations - I personally would never consider med, no matter how much prestige was attached. I'd rather be a cashier for the rest of my life...

Misyndo

HSC
OP is nothing but a troll.

Also,
True. Most asians care about either status (showing off) or money (also for showing off). Thats why the commerce/business courses are flooded with asians doing finance/banking/actuarial.
And what is wrong with showing off if you actually have status and/or the money to do so? Is it going to affect you personally? Will your life be changed if an Asian has more status/money then you?

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Combined law isn't that hard to get into if you didn't get in through high school, a lot of people end up getting it after doing 1 year of anotehr degree so I'd say Med.

John555

HSC
A good friend of mine at UWA did commerce/economics combined degree in 2008, studied for 1 year, got a D average and transferred to combined degree commerce/law.

So I would also say law is easier.

rx34

HSC
I think the same can be said for all races. When one has money, the natural tendency is to to show off. This can be said for black people who like to buy bling and fancy cars to elevate their social status.

HSC
OP is nothing but a troll.
I have no idea what a 'troll' even was until I looked it up on wikipedia....

Besides, I don't see how this is off topic or inflammatory at all. If you've read the post, a lot of it is quite productive

And what is wrong with showing off if you actually have status and/or the money to do so? Is it going to affect you personally? Will your life be changed if an Asian has more status/money then you?
John555 was just stating that its a tendency for asians to do that - it wasn't that he had an actual problem with it.

Read the post before you start pointing fingers and making wild accusations. If the wikipedia definition is right, I think you're the troll :D

I think the same can be said for all races. When one has money, the natural tendency is to to show off. This can be said for black people who like to buy bling and fancy cars to elevate their social status.
I actually thought most Asian students were in that field because of their talents in Mathematics.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
majority of asians/curries who do commerce/finance/accounting/engineering are either international students or the ones that either didnt make it into med or combined law (at a prestigious uni).

Misyndo

HSC
John555 was just stating that its a tendency for asians to do that - it wasn't that he had an actual problem with it.

Read the post before you start pointing fingers and making wild accusations. If the wikipedia definition is right, I think you're the troll :D
Then i'm just stating that you're a troll. Not that I have an actual problem with it.

Read my post before you start pointing fingers and making wild accusations. If I am right (which I am), then I think you're the troll :D

bubbrubb

HSC
Med is harder imo.

I say this not because It's my choice of career but because of alot of reasons...

Ok, first of all there are just so much more processes to even get to the offer stage. Take the fact that you need to apply for UMAT fairly early in the year and then the individual uni application processes which will ask you questions that often require a genuine reason for pursuing medicine that, trust me, is harder than it sounds (stopping any students who decide to do medicine at a whim).

Let's not forget that the interview is a difficult situation that requires alot more preparation and knowledge of yourself and your wants than you would think. It's a big deal and you utilises skills that, like UMAT and unlike the HSC, are difficult to simply practice.

To be competitive you need a high UMAT and a high ATAR. Though you can get into interviews for med with an ATAR less than Combined Law for places like UWS, Newcastle and Monash as they focus very very heavily on UMAT, achieving a high UMAT is, imo, much much harder than attaining a high ATAR. Why? because you have to think the way they want you to think and be naturally gifted. This is unlike your subjects for HSC where you can take almost anyone with half a brain and train them to get 99+ so long as they have determination.

At uni's like UNSW you want to have an ATAR of at least 99+ to be competitive and for UQ you need 99+ to be eligible for provisional med entry.

As for Combined Law, anyone can simply decide at the end of the year to enrol in it because they got a high ATAR (i think i've made it clear that i think a high ATAR is no where near as problematic as trying to achieve a very solid ATAR, a solid UMAT and a solid Interview) and I have seen this first hand with some people who have exhibited no interest in law or commerce in their entire schooling careers whatsoever but then decide to do Comm Law simply because they get a good ATAR and decide to not "waste" their marks... you couldn't pass a med interview with an attitude like that.

Anyways, if you can't get into Comm Law first time round, just do commerce for a year (need only ~95) and achieve a good average (i think 70+ for a uni?) and transfer into Comm Law. This is VERY easy compared to transferring into medicine after a year as you need not only a good average but also need a good umat and good interview. So if we take the alternate pathway criteria for entering Combined Law/Medicine, Medicine is clearly the much much harder course to get into.

That being said, I'm sure there are some people out there that could breeze through UMAT and interview while have trouble achieving a high ATAR simply because of poor work ethic or less fortunate situation with tuition/schooling as others.

There are probably many other points to consider both ways but that is how I see it.

itszen

HSC
But GAMSAT plays a huge role.

OP fails at research. Med is generally harder to get into than Law (although it does vary from person to person)

Wow you're an idiot. You put Combined Law as a preference after Med? No wonder you didn't get an interview...
To be literal, whats wrong with that? Why didnt he get an interview because he placed combined law as a preference after Medicine. Im curious.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Who cares? Just do what you enjoy. Noone's gonna look down on you just because you chose Med over Law or vice versa

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Who cares? Just do what you enjoy. Noone's gonna look down on you just because you chose Med over Law or vice versa
once again, this doesnt include asian parents. in their eyes, med is 1st choice followed by law/actuarial studies. hence by this logic, it must be harder to get into.

</thread>

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
once again, this doesnt include asian parents. in their eyes, med is 1st choice followed by law/actuarial studies. hence by this logic, it must be harder to get into.

</thread>

Were you forced to do Med or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)