Maths in Focus (1 Viewer)

What is your opinion of the Maths in Focus textbook series?

• I love it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay, I don't mind it.

• I don't like it.

• The series is a joke.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schoey93

HSC
Tbh MIF has very few strong points, I recommend using Cambridge and/or Fitzpatrick and revise using past papers.
Thank you for your advice. I'm going to (hopefully successfully) attempt to borrow New Senior Mathematics 3 Unit Course from the library tomorrow. I would like to see what the kids in the extension class have been doing and judge how difficult it (their first topic) is. If I can't find it hopefully the 2 Unit textbook is available.

Maths 2u, I used to do 3u with Maths in Focus. Pretty much turned off maths thanks to it.
Oh dear, that's tragic.

mioumiou

HSC
Thank you for your advice. I'm going to (hopefully successfully) attempt to borrow New Senior Mathematics 3 Unit Course from the library tomorrow. I would like to see what the kids in the extension class have been doing and judge how difficult it (their first topic) is. If I can't find it hopefully the 2 Unit textbook is available.
But I think for New Senior Maths, you have to do the 2 unit book (the yellow one) first and move on to the 3 unit book, because they've combined the Year 11 and Year 12 courses together. So technically, the students in extension one would be doing stuff like Algebra, equations and some basic stuff that you've learnt during the past at the moment. =(

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
and she now teaches at TAFE somewhere in sydney.
Bankstown TAFE I believe.

My teacher knows Margaret Grove personally.

As for the book... I think the questions are alright for curve sketching and for what Trebla said. But it's theory isn't very good (in my opinion) and doesn't cover every aspect of the 2U/3U courses in great detail. This is where you need a good teacher to supplement your knowledge.

My school used it though. Although I used Coroneos myself most of the times.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
You have to use another book to complement it.

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
i don't bother doing a whole exercise as my teacher would set for homework.

A few questions until I understand a certain concept then move on to either fitzpatrick or cambridge :)

mioumiou

HSC

A few questions until I understand a certain concept then move on to either fitzpatrick or cambridge :)
that's what I do too!! :spin:

Villa94

HSC
My teacher said that those books are harder than the ones the school used to use. He also said theyre harder than the ones some selective schools use too.

Personally i think theyre good as they explain everything well.

forward

HSC
I used Maths In Focus last year for all my school 2U and 3U work. It's not terrible but definately should be backed up by a harder textbook such as Fitz.

I reckon it explains a lot of the concepts really well, in relatively simple language that is pretty easy to understand. However the exercises are shithouse because a lot of the time they're the same thing over and over.

ilikebeeef

HSC
I voted "a joke" because I literally lol'ed when I looked through the 2U Maths in Focus textbook.

It's shit if your aiming for band 6.
Lol yeah +1.

Maths 2u, I used to do 3u with Maths in Focus. Pretty much turned off maths thanks to it.
You should use a textbook other than Maths in Focus.

Lol my school's 4U classes don't even use Maths in Focus. But yeah, in Year 11 I didn't do the Maths in Focus homework. :p

Last edited:

darshil

Replicant
HSC
No doubt it is a good book. Very well set out, great examples and less intimidating than the Fitzpatrick which just has text, text and more text.

But it is true that for this reason it is quite basic and the exercises are nowhere near as challenging as Fitzpatrick. I would use this book to tackle challenging concepts or to make notes but Fitzpatrick to test your knowledge and build your problem solving skills.

Just use both!

ilikebeeef

HSC
No doubt it is a good book. Very well set out, great examples and less intimidating than the Fitzpatrick which just has text, text and more text.

But it is true that for this reason it is quite basic and the exercises are nowhere near as challenging as Fitzpatrick. I would use this book to tackle challenging concepts or to make notes but Fitzpatrick to test your knowledge and build your problem solving skills.

Just use both!
That's because you do 2 Unit maths. Not that there's anything wrong with it though.

Schoey93

HSC
That's because you do 2 Unit maths. Not that there's anything wrong with it though.
I do Mathematics (2 Unit) too. You do MX2, don't you? Should I bother going beyond the course? Will it help me to do well? I'm beginning to enjoy maths, but I can't do the extension course unless I drop what is shaping up to be one of my favourite subjects (hospitality). Go ahead, laugh. Only two of my subjects were capped in 2009 (hospitality and studies of religion I). Biology wasn't capped as 98% became 99.8% scaled.

Anyway, is there any non-fiction (e.g. textbooks) that you would recommend for learning beyond the scope of the 2 Unit course?

ilikebeeef

HSC
I do Mathematics (2 Unit) too. You do MX2, don't you? Should I bother going beyond the course? Will it help me to do well? I'm beginning to enjoy maths, but I can't do the extension course unless I drop what is shaping up to be one of my favourite subjects (hospitality).
Yes, I do MX2. No you should not bother going beyond the 2 unit course if you're going to stick to 2 unit, as anything outside 2 unit won't be assessed in the 2 unit exam.

Go ahead, laugh. Only two of my subjects were capped in 2009 (hospitality and studies of religion I). Biology wasn't capped as 98% became 99.8% scaled.
Dude, calm down, it's okay lol. I have nothing against people doing subjects they love.

Anyway, is there any non-fiction (e.g. textbooks) that you would recommend for learning beyond the scope of the 2 Unit course?
Once again I don't really recommend learning 3 Unit if you're going to stick to 2U, as the specifically 3 unit topics (eg Permutations and Combinations) really won't help you that much. If you really love maths that much then drop something to take up 3U, and go along with what the class is doing for Prelims. If you don't want to do that, then you shouldn't bother.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Usually 3U students dominate the 2U cohort. It's because they're exposed to harder things and have many tricks and trades up their sleeve.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's ok for those really struggling with maths but aside from that it's way too easy for my tastes.

Schoey93

HSC
Yes, I do MX2. No you should not bother going beyond the 2 unit course if you're going to stick to 2 unit, as anything outside 2 unit won't be assessed in the 2 unit exam.

Dude, calm down, it's okay lol. I have nothing against people doing subjects they love.

Once again I don't really recommend learning 3 Unit if you're going to stick to 2U, as the specifically 3 unit topics (eg Permutations and Combinations) really won't help you that much. If you really love maths that much then drop something to take up 3U, and go along with what the class is doing for Prelims. If you don't want to do that, then you shouldn't bother.
I would like to rank first in the 2011 HSC mathematics cohort. I know that this is probably unrealistic. My goal for Year 11 is to rank in the top ten.

I'm sorry. My school's principal and my mum have questioned why I do hospitality. Now I'm quick to defend it.

I do like maths and I do enjoy a challenge, but if you make me choose between 104 min of solving and discussing mathematical problems and 3.5 hours of cooking/learning about the hospitality industry, I will choose cooking/hospitality. The theory is straightforward and interesting (we're learning about OH & S legislation which legal studies complements).

I can do maths at home and enjoy it alone, but how often do HSC MX1 students get the chance to walk around the kitchen cooking together? Lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)