Maths Formulae (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
how does everyone remember all of the maths formulaes?
I'm having some trouble remembering the formulae in maths especially in trig and i was just interested in how everyone else remembers them like ASTC All Stations To Central (for the trig circle where All are positive, Sine only is positive etc.)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
how does everyone remember all of the maths formulaes?
I'm having some trouble remembering the formulae in maths especially in trig and i was just interested in how everyone else remembers them like ASTC All Stations To Central (for the trig circle where All are positive, Sine only is positive etc.)
For me, i kind of just use them so much that i remember them.

Sometimes its kind of like a song, but without a beat ;P

Other times, giving the letters a meaning (what ever its called), you know, ASTC (except i remember that by A Silly Trigonometric Concept).

I dont really know how it works other times, im just lucky it does :)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
you should be able to mentally picture the deriving of each formula, otherwise you'll never understand what it is you are doing..

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
trig identities......

by a man plus a tan is sexy.

a man plus a coat is cosy.

or just by dividing
by or

if she's just doing mathematics, it's more rote learning than having to be able to derive. many people just do it because it's better than general, or because it's assumed knowledge for their uni degree.

HSC
ASTC

All Stations To China

In A (0-90) All- Sine, Cos, Tan are +

In S (90-180) only Sine is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember cause S for Sine.

In T (180-270) only Tan is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember because T is for Tan.

In C (270-360) only Cos is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember because C is for Cos.
:pirate:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
ASTC

All Stations To China

In A (0-90) All- Sine, Cos, Tan are +

In S (90-180) only Sine is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember cause S for Sine.

In T (180-270) only Tan is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember because T is for Tan.

In C (270-360) only Cos is +, everything else is negative-- Easy to Remember because C is for Cos.
:pirate:
not meaning to be rude, but the op stated that she knew that one already..........

jet

Banned
HSC
We were given this amazing formula sheet that we were sworn not to show anyone...

But, in the weeks after the trias (assuming that youve learnt all your stuff) you should use them so many times that they are always in your head.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
With the formulae, you should be more concerned with understanding how the formulae are derived and what relationships they are describing

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
trig identities......

or just by dividing
by or

if she's just doing mathematics, it's more rote learning than having to be able to derive. many people just do it because it's better than general, or because it's assumed knowledge for their uni degree.
That is actually a pretty genius way of remembering it. =P

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
That is actually a pretty genius way of remembering it. =P
Despite its cleverness, I wouldn't be able to memorise ANY formula using that kind of method...too hard for me. :cold:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I had a little formula book that I wrote them in (with exampels) and carried with me everywhere. When I had spare moments, it came out to be absorbed.

And if there are related formulae, only learn the basics and then what you can do to it to get the other formulae (like someone else said).

jet

Banned
HSC
I had a little formula book that I wrote them in (with exampels) and carried with me everywhere. When I had spare moments, it came out to be absorbed.

And if there are related formulae, only learn the basics and then what you can do to it to get the other formulae (like someone else said).
Thats a really really good way of doing it. I carry a notebook for general purposes these days and anytime i think of something or remember something i write it down. Its so helpful and accessible.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
With the formulae, you should be more concerned with understanding how the formulae are derived and what relationships they are describing
True. Don't they give you formula sheets in the exam? In the USA they give you the formula sheet so you never have to remember. You only need to understand how to use them. They give you hard problem solving that you need to understand what you need to use.

Brontecat

HSC
True. Don't they give you formula sheets in the exam? In the USA they give you the formula sheet so you never have to remember. You only need to understand how to use them. They give you hard problem solving that you need to understand what you need to use.
in the exam you only get a list of standard integrals

Brontecat

HSC

i really like this idea ty, i've just started mine :)

Brontecat

HSC
trig identities......

or just by dividing
by or

they're rlly good, usin ur idea i made up 2 more - but they're not quiete of your standard

cosec*theta=1/sin*theta
(co-workers are sexy when they sign their name)

cot*theta = 1/tan*theta = cos*theta/sin*theta
(Scott is tanning with his cousin sine)

I just couldn't think of one for sec*theta = 1/cos*theta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)