MATH1251 Questions HELP (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
This obviously converges but the ratio test is inconclusive, so how would you justify it

Check your calculations, the ratio test is conclusive. (The ratio tends to exp(-1).)

leehuan

HSC
Oh bad example. My fault.

Nevermind. For starters I memorised his question wrong. My friend asked me about this one which was easy:

It goes to 1/2. But then I started wondering if similar forms tended to 1. I forgot that 1^k=1 here and thus the ratio test wouldn't be necessary for say, k/1^k

seanieg89

HSC
On this topic, a good exercise for your intuition is trying to prove that the ratio test is strictly weaker than the root test.

I.e. let x_n be a given positive sequence.

a) Show that if the ratio test asserts that the sum of x_n is convergent, then the root test does too.

b) Show (by way of example) that there exist sequences x_n such that the root test tells you that the sum of x_n is convergent, but the ratio test is inconclusive.

seanieg89

HSC
Could you use something like this?

Huh?

Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do by splitting the sum in this way?

This is not a straightforward application of the p-test, because of the presence of the factorial and also because the exponent is not fixed. It is a basic application of the ratio test though. (As questions involving factorials often will be).

leehuan

HSC

Because say we swap the rows, then the determinant becomes +2. But it still "looks like" a Jacobian.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Because say we swap the rows, then the determinant becomes +2. But it still "looks like" a Jacobian.

According to a quick evaluation in Mathematica, the two integrals provided above have opposite signs.

Not to be of any disrespect, but I question the process your tutor used.

leehuan

HSC
Only adds to confusion really because I wouldn't know where the mistake is.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Only adds to confusion really because I wouldn't know where the mistake is.
I believe we multiply by the absolute value of the Jacobian in a change of variable substitution.
Btw, when did we learn this change of variable substitition in 1251? Didn't see any questions on it.

leehuan

HSC
I believe we multiply by the absolute value of the Jacobian in a change of variable substitution.
Btw, when did we learn this change of variable substitition in 1251? Didn't see any questions on it.
I legit did not know that about the abs. value

Also, this was Q124 of the calculus pack. And yes we had a lecture on Jacobians; I think it was the second last one.

seanieg89

HSC
There is an absolute value in the change of variables for the Jacobian because of the subtle issue of orientation.

When we write something like

for S a subset of R^n and f: S -> R, this is an unoriented notion of integration. (Because S is a subset, without choice of orientation specified. (*))

Compare this to the integral

which is the integral of f along the oriented line segment from a to b in R.

In particular, if f is non-negative, the first notion of integration will always be non-negative, whilst the second need not be (if a > b ).

(*) This is the same as the oriented integration over S such that the canonical basis in R^n is positively oriented. The situation gets a bit more interesting when we are learning to integrate things on manifolds (surfaces, etc), because these need not be orientable in general! (Think mobius strip.)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
I legit did not know that about the abs. value

Also, this was Q124 of the calculus pack. And yes we had a lecture on Jacobians; I think it was the second last one.
lol it depends on the lecturer, mine always called them Yacobians

leehuan

HSC
This is a set of equations I got from using the Lagrange multiplier theorem. What would be a quick way of solving them?

leehuan

HSC

I want to use the alternating series test to show that this is conditionally convergent (it already fails absolute convergence). It's clear that the relevant terms will be positive and I can prove that they limit off to 0, but how do I prove that

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I want to use the alternating series test to show that this is conditionally convergent (it already fails absolute convergence). It's clear that the relevant terms will be positive and I can prove that they limit off to 0, but how do I prove that

The sequence is strictly less than n-n

I guess you could work on that instead.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

It's decreasing because the denominator is increasing. The denominator is increasing because

(n+1)^{(n+1) + 1/(n+1)} > n^{(n+1) + 1/(n+1)} (*)

> n^{n + 1/n} (**).

Note (*) follows since the function x^{(c+1) + 1/(c+1)} is increasing on the positive reals for any given positive integer c, and (**) follows because the function c^{x} is increasing on the positive reals for any given c large enough, and since (n+1) + 1/(n+1) > n + 1/n for all n.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)