Making Notes? (1 Viewer)

Sammy2011

HSC
Hey guys,

I have been wondering this for a while. A common study technique around here seems to be making notes from your school day/subjects.

I was wondering...how exactly is this done? What is making notes, and how effective do you find them/making them to be?

Also, any other studying techniques that you know of or prefer would be great.

Thanks for any help :)

wrecking

derp.
HSC
notes are great, simply because it's summarised and let's you revise content much more effectively. always write notes according to the syllabus. when you're doing your notes, don't copy chunks out of the textbook because that actually defeats the whole purpose of writing notes. use dot points and be as succinct as possible.

notes for me are effective because i cbf flipping through textbooks just to find the info / the sections that i need to revise. you can do whatever the hell you want with the notes too: highlight it, scribble all over it, underline, doodle on it etc.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
^ Heh, I actually make my notes completely differently. My notes are the most detailed things ever - they're practically textbooks. But with all the best bits of all the textbooks and handouts I've read on the subject put together. It works for me, mainly because I'm more of a reading and learning person and it gives me a feeling of security knowing that it's all there in front of me and it's highly unlikely a question will come in an exam that I will have no idea how to answer. But at the same time, I kind of know in my head which bits are absolutely necessary and which are just extra so sometimes I skip the 'extra' bits if I'm particularly screwed and furiously cramming, and come back to them if I have time.

So all in all, I'd say: make notes in the way that suits you best. Some people like succint, some people like detailed. But I agree, above all, the most important thing is to make notes from the syllabus. The syllabus tells you what exactly you need to know. If you follow it, you can't go wrong =)

I'd also suggest making notes as you go. Like, if you learn a bit of a topic on a certain school day, when you go home that afternoon make some notes on it. It really helps. When exam time comes around, you don't have to waste time making your notes, they're all there beautifully made for you to study off. Also, it's a good way of consolidating what you learnt at school that day and when you know your stuff well, it gives you more time to do practice questions and improve your exam technique. :)

awaitingtrain

HSC
I love my notes...they are the most important thing in school for me. I can't just revise out of a text book or off a bunch of loose sheets. I need to see it in my own handwriting with all the characteristic highlighted sections, dot points, N.B's, margin notes, small sheet clipings, diagrams and connecting lines. Needless to say I warn people before I lend them my book because note-taking varies from person to person.
Write down the concepts of the lesson and the facts, but in your own words and style. Who else is easier to understand than yourself?

mioumiou

HSC
I love my notes...they are the most important thing in school for me. I can't just revise out of a text book or off a bunch of loose sheets. I need to see it in my own handwriting with all the characteristic highlighted sections, dot points, N.B's, margin notes, small sheet clipings, diagrams and connecting lines. Needless to say I warn people before I lend them my book because note-taking varies from person to person.
Write down the concepts of the lesson and the facts, but in your own words and style. Who else is easier to understand than yourself?
Haha, that's the similar situation with me. But I MUST right very neatly or otherwise, I won't be even bother to read them. :read:

depends on what u like. i believe making notes is a waste of time since theres a textbook right there for you
IMO, I dun really think it's a waste of life for me, cuz it helps me to understand the concepts when I have to read the textbook (plus the syllabus) if I re-read them a few times. For science subjects, it's alway goos to have more resources like two different brands of textbooks (eg. I do Biology and Heinemann is our main textbook but I've also got textbooks like Jacaranda Biology and the Dot Point series). There's no such thing as their "perfect" textbook, each of them will have it's strength and weaknesses.

Hope this helps!! :haha:

mioumiou

HSC
I'm just realised that you're doing 15 units!!! Isn't that a lot of work?? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)