Making an ATAR goal (1 Viewer)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I did something similar to this I wrote on a piece of paper what HSC marks I was aiming for, for each subject and on the wall right above my computer. It didnt help me much but might help OP
Well it doesn't hurt to try I guess? Well it kinda works for my friend for soccer, and he trains a lot now and always mentions it so guess it's different for everyone haha.

enoilgam

HSC
Set short-term goals along with this long term goal (ie having set ranks you want to come for different subs)
This is the best way to stay motivated believe it or not. Working towards an ATAR is a good motivator, but its not effective at motivating you each and every day of the HSC year. Those short terms goals help you stay motivated consistantly.

michaeljennings

HSC
Well it doesn't hurt to try I guess? Well it kinda works for my friend for soccer, and he trains a lot now and always mentions it so guess it's different for everyone haha.
Yeahh i mean everything is worth a try so OP should definitely give it a go. I remember me and my friends said if we were disappointed with our atars we wouldnt mind redoing yr 12 again but there is no way I would do year 12 again now haha even though I am disappointed with my atar. This forum helped me heaps though throughout year 12 so I think its great that I can try to help others

jnney

lemon
HSC
Also another way to keep motivated, is to have posters? I guess you could say around your room that's what my friend does and he says it works because he keeps looking at it and he makes him motivated and keeps him working because it's right in front of him in his room.
i do this too :)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
In the end everyone is motivated in different ways. Just try out different ways and see what works for you.

TheCardician

HSC
Hey,

I have an atar goal of 96.2. When it comes to goals, I aim to have the atar i need and also 0.5 more added on to that. However, i also want to be realistic. I get the motivational talk of believing in yourself and that you can get the ATAR you want. It is not impossible and you need to put in the hard work too. So ofcourse even if you don't get the actual atar, you know you had a clear and precise goal that you worked hard towards, than if you had no goal at all or a vague "in the 90's somewhere" type goal.

I want to be confident and optimistic however don't want to take it as a breeze and think it will be simple, but then i get scared and think it is really hard aswell. I want to have a balance because i think sometimes i am abit too over confident or i am under confident. Any tips? What are your methods? Is being realistic meaning one is negative?
That's a good goal to aim for. Break that goal down into smaller goals such as aiming to score >95% in all assessments, and you should be fine. You got to remain really motivated throughout the year to achieve this. Don't make the same mistake I did, which was to attain a goal of 95 ATAR and then only being a tiny bit motivated and did not end up studying as much as I intended to. You also got to know how badly you want that goal, how far will you go to attain it? Another important thing, like the others have said, is to not burn out. Studying is exercise for the brain, like swimming is exercise for the body - it needs time to recover and rest, make sure you take ample breaks.
You should check out motivational videos on youtube, they can keep you going, such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2g0Pk3gBzI

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks so much!

Well i have started writing down some quotes that inspire me and will stick them around my room. I also have the atar I want on a piece of paper, however with someone mentioning that we have no control over UAC, i guess aiming for band 6 is ideal?

I hope to keep this a habit and to just keep trying, and no matter what i have at the end, I want to feel like i put everything i could.

I want to do International studies at UNSW, and I have been to the uni during this program and so seeing it and being there is motivating me a bit more. I think the most difficult thing is beating un motivation and laziness. Personally i think i do have the potential but sometimes negativity gets to me.

noriel

HSC
What about if people around you like your parents don't believe in you and put you down alot? How can you stay motivated when everyone else around isn't?

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't aim too high, because if you don't reach your goal, you'll be devastated. I'm not aiming for a specific mark; I'm just trying my absolute best. If you put in the effort, then there's nothing else you can do. But yeah, generally I'm aiming for about 96. I think aiming for 99.9 is just unrealistic for me; I think I'd go insane with all the studying. But I want to stay motivated, so I've put up motivational quotes above my desk. I think the most important thing in staying focused and motivated is breaking up massive tasks into small ones. It's the best for me, because I procrastinate a lot. Rewarding yourself is also important. Don't hammer yourself for not finishing a big task in a certain amount of time. Exercising and a healthy diet are really important; drink heaps of water and exercise every couple of days; it's so good for feeling refreshed, and helps me stay focused.

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
What about if people around you like your parents don't believe in you and put you down alot? How can you stay motivated when everyone else around isn't?
That's where it is a bit harder. But think about proving them wrong. A quote I read once said "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot."

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I wouldn't aim too high, because if you don't reach your goal, you'll be devastated. I'm not aiming for a specific mark; I'm just trying my absolute best. If you put in the effort, then there's nothing else you can do. But yeah, generally I'm aiming for about 96. I think aiming for 99.9 is just unrealistic for me; I think I'd go insane with all the studying. But I want to stay motivated, so I've put up motivational quotes above my desk. I think the most important thing in staying focused and motivated is breaking up massive tasks into small ones. It's the best for me, because I procrastinate a lot. Rewarding yourself is also important. Don't hammer yourself for not finishing a big task in a certain amount of time. Exercising and a healthy diet are really important; drink heaps of water and exercise every couple of days; it's so good for feeling refreshed, and helps me stay focused.
Hmm yes you do have a valid point. Personally I would not aim that high either, and I guess having an idea of where you want to be may help you in your study. I think goal or not, we sort of have an idea of what we want and we will work hard even with people who don't have a goal. So goal or not, working hard should be a must.

I am beginning to forget about exercise and staying healthy so that is also an important factor!

Cheesecake_a

HSC
It is up to you how much you will let that put you down. Ofcourse it does affect you and sometimes people will just ignore it. I have been in an evironment like that before, but not to a high extent. I have experienced negativity from others, but who are they to tell you what you will achieve and can't achieve? Hopefully you do the best you can and have confidence in yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)