Major work extension History (1 Viewer)

DylanTheSexyOne

HSC
N/A
Need suggestions for extesion history for a major project something challenging, with lots of info..... cause all the ones i tried had hardly any info for a 20+ page essay :( help appriecieted>>>>:angel:

lishsghs

HSC
20+ pages.. really? You should probably figure out what the subject requirements are before you choose your topic

S4Saustralia

HSC
Have you really not started?

My first draft is due next week :S

Also, there's a 2,500 word limit...what size font allows you to get up to 20 pages?

suling

HSC
Need suggestions for extesion history for a major project something challenging, with lots of info..... cause all the ones i tried had hardly any info for a 20+ page essay :( help appriecieted>>>>:angel:
Wow you really should have started by now....

Just pick a topic that you are interested in....you will be more likely then to put in more time and effort, and this end up with a better result.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
The underground Dutch resistance during World War II.

Go go.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I'd be making the project your priority at the moment if you haven't even decided on a topic; many students around the state have completed drafts of their essay! So make sure you crack down and really get working!

Okay the first thing you probably want to do is find you most favourite topic in History, and then work on deriving a question for the essay. For me, I'm very interested in Ancient Greece; and I'm looking at the Historiographical issues concerning Women in Classical Greece; particularly looking at issues such as the fact that no women were historians, and that the only portrayal of women we have are from Greek poetry, mythologies and the Histories of men.

So, your one concern at the moment. FIND A TOPIC. Then do a hell of a lot of research, then work with your teacher and deriving a question from your focus area. Then go ahead to researching and start writing impending drafts for your major work.

The major work does not need to be 20+ pages long, there's a maximum as already stated of 2,500 words. So 20 pages definitely is not required for this major work.

~ Remember, do something you enjoy; otherwise you will lose interest rapidly and once that happens. . . you're doomed.
Best of Luck. n_n

HSC
I'd be making the project your priority at the moment if you haven't even decided on a topic; many students around the state have completed drafts of their essay! So make sure you crack down and really get working!

Okay the first thing you probably want to do is find you most favourite topic in History, and then work on deriving a question for the essay. For me, I'm very interested in Ancient Greece; and I'm looking at the Historiographical issues concerning Women in Classical Greece; particularly looking at issues such as the fact that no women were historians, and that the only portrayal of women we have are from Greek poetry, mythologies and the Histories of men.

So, your one concern at the moment. FIND A TOPIC. Then do a hell of a lot of research, then work with your teacher and deriving a question from your focus area. Then go ahead to researching and start writing impending drafts for your major work.

The major work does not need to be 20+ pages long, there's a maximum as already stated of 2,500 words. So 20 pages definitely is not required for this major work.

~ Remember, do something you enjoy; otherwise you will lose interest rapidly and once that happens. . . you're doomed.
Best of Luck. n_n
I second this piece of sound advice!

BTW Artemis, your topic sounds very interesting and I would love to see the end result published on this site when you're finished! I can assure you that you have a wealth of information to tap into so it is unlikely that you will get stuck!

Dylan.., I have no idea what your area of interests are, but to help you out here are a few things I personally would like to investigate if I had the opportunity to do another major work:

- Did slavery cause the American Civil War? or, What caused the American Civil War?
- Did Alexander the Great want to achieve a 'Unity of Mankind'?
- Did Shakespeare really write all those plays? If not, whom?

I can't think of any others at the moment...I might update with more if I can think of any....

Good Luck!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Do something that's not too heard of. Of course I have no idea about historical events but I think that if you choose something that isn't too common then you should have a good chance of choosing something that you'll be interested in (unheard of) and the markers won't be ~too~ familiar with.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do something that's not too heard of. Of course I have no idea about historical events but I think that if you choose something that isn't too common then you should have a good chance of choosing something that you'll be interested in (unheard of) and the markers won't be ~too~ familiar with.
The only marker they have to worry about is their teacher as the History project is internally marked - not externally.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The only marker they have to worry about is their teacher as the History project is internally marked - not externally.
Fuck!
Do Hitler, then. :3

Deathless

HSC
Have you really not started?

My first draft is due next week :S

Also, there's a 2,500 word limit...what size font allows you to get up to 20 pages?
This.

Unless you have an early due date for the major work, there should be no rush. You can do well with only 3 nights before. Most people really only spend a max of 16 days in the whole year to their major work.

Deathless

HSC
Good idea. It's good to do something not too common.

Remember that the major work is based on the key questions/syllabus of Ext Hist. Stick with a topic in which you can stress the key questions and you should be fine. Also keep track of annotations, bibliography and logbook. Especially the logbook. A lot of people do well in the project but not the logbook and so miss out on the easy marks.

Deathless

HSC
They could have more than one marker i.e. more than one teacher teaching ext hist etc

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They could have more than one marker i.e. more than one teacher teaching ext hist etc
Of course but most schools don't have someone outside the school mark the projects. It is an internally marked assessment task not externally marked like Extension 2 English.

S4Saustralia

HSC
Of course but most schools don't have someone outside the school mark the projects. It is an internally marked assessment task not externally marked like Extension 2 English.
does internally marked scare anyone else?

Seems like bias may apply.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
does internally marked scare anyone else?

Seems like bias may apply.
Internally marked stuff only scares me if I'm not on good terms with the marker.

In the case of History Extension; I'm not scared in the slightest.
Note: Also being the only person in the course, eases that stress also. ; )

But yeah bias happens all the time. Even with the marking of regular assessment tasks, so I think it's a smart move to try your best to stay on your teachers good side.

Fake-Name

HSC
This.

Unless you have an early due date for the major work, there should be no rush. You can do well with only 3 nights before. Most people really only spend a max of 16 days in the whole year to their major work.
What?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
He's just saying that the actual essay writing component of this shouldn't be a long term process. Most of the regular assignments we receive now require 1,000 to 1,500 (well most, I know there are assignments where I've written essays of around 3,000 words), in which most are composed in just a few sittings. The bulk of this major work will involve researching the background and historiography into your thesis, and then another long process will be the annotating at the end and the alterations that occur after the essay is written.

I'm not too sure if 'everyone' can write a decent History Extension Major Work in just three days however. So how 'bout we just not leave it to that stage, and all start early. n_n Then, hopefully we shall all be calm come Term 3.

Just try and spend as much time you can on your Major. The more research and effort you put into it, the better it will become. Also, remember to listen to the advice given by your teacher and follow their directions when it comes to the drafting of your essay.

And most importantly, Good Luck all. n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)