• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Major work extension History (2 Viewers)

Deathless

HSC
Of course but most schools don't have someone outside the school mark the projects. It is an internally marked assessment task not externally marked like Extension 2 English.
Yes I know it is internally marked, but there could be more than one internal marker.

Deathless

HSC
He's just saying that the actual essay writing component of this shouldn't be a long term process. Most of the regular assignments we receive now require 1,000 to 1,500 (well most, I know there are assignments where I've written essays of around 3,000 words), in which most are composed in just a few sittings. The bulk of this major work will involve researching the background and historiography into your thesis, and then another long process will be the annotating at the end and the alterations that occur after the essay is written.

I'm not too sure if 'everyone' can write a decent History Extension Major Work in just three days however. So how 'bout we just not leave it to that stage, and all start early. n_n Then, hopefully we shall all be calm come Term 3.

Just try and spend as much time you can on your Major. The more research and effort you put into it, the better it will become. Also, remember to listen to the advice given by your teacher and follow their directions when it comes to the drafting of your essay.

And most importantly, Good Luck all. n_n
Yeah, thanks for expanding on what I was saying :)

If you are unsure of your writing ability or on the direction you are going, you can always show a draft to your teacher before final submission.

speedofsound

HSC
They could have more than one marker i.e. more than one teacher teaching ext hist etc
there's only one ext hist teacher at my school, but what happened with us is that 2 other history teachers from the faculty also helped co-mark to alleviate any bias.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow, it's only internally marked! I thought it was like Ext Eng 2. That's good because I might pick it up in Year 12 and I'm on great terms with the teacher who normally does Ext History :)

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Oh wow, it's only internally marked! I thought it was like Ext Eng 2. That's good because I might pick it up in Year 12 and I'm on great terms with the teacher who normally does Ext History :)
It's a fantastic course, so by all means pick it. The actual content of this course I find extremely interesting! And the best part, you get to do a Major Work on pretty much any topic you desire [well, as long as it doesn't significantly overlap with any sections of the SC and HSC syllabi]. I see you're doing Extension I English, were you thinking of doing the extension II course next year also? Just keep in mind that would mean 2 major works, both requiring strenuous amounts of research and time.

You seem genuinely interested in History, so if I was you I'd give it ago. No harm in trying, if it proves not to your liking or too much work, you can then drop it. Personally, I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to at least give it a shot! n_n If there was any information you wanted to know about Extension History, don't be afraid to ask! We're 'almost' always willing to help. ; )

deu

HSC
Not sure if I should post this here but where do you guys find info apart from the internet?
My topic is "Freemasonry: The Engineering of A Perception" and having trouble finding relevant sources and historians..

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Not sure if I should post this here but where do you guys find info apart from the internet?
My topic is "Freemasonry: The Engineering of A Perception" and having trouble finding relevant sources and historians..
I haven't done any thorough research into Freemasonry, but there is a plethora of sources and information at the State Library. As an History Extension student you also have access to Macquarie's Library (there is a $25 fee, however), and you may go and look at books at Sydney's Library also.

Depending on your area and school, you should also utilise local / school library resources. Most local libraries are also able to borrow on your behalf publications from State library, you just need to ask. So check out what libraries have in your local area. Also ask your teachers, as History enthusiasts most have a tonne of books at home, and research over their many years of experience as Historians. I know my Ancient Teacher has given me access to a tonne of her personal Ancient History books, and also provided me with a copy of her studies undertaken at University that relate to my topic.

So check out some libraries [there's a thread in the History Extension subforum which discusses libraries], and ask your teachers. : )

Good Luck with your topic. n_n

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why don't you also contact the Grand Lodge in Sydney and ask if they have anything to help you. I know that many lodges have their own references and that would allow you to also have some Masonic persepectives. It may also be possible for you to interview a Mason or two for their opinions and ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)