Low-Powered cars????? (1 Viewer)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Yeh, sure, if there stock from the factory with some performance they handle like crazy! But if you have say, a stock AE82 corolla then stick a turbo/supercharger on it, you will be lucky to stay on the road.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Which is why when you upgrade the engine like that you should also upgrade suspension and associated parts.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Yeh, sure, if there stock from the factory with some performance they handle like crazy! But if you have say, a stock AE82 corolla then stick a turbo/supercharger on it, you will be lucky to stay on the road.
that's like ANY car

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
what?

but when you do up a cars engine (no matter engine size/place, transmission layout) the handling will suffer

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Yes, but its different in FWD to RWD. The only handling problem with a rwd if you upgrade the power will be some oversteer, which is easy to avoid/correct. Having large power go through the CV's in a front wheel drive makes it unstable, have you ever driven a supercharged FWD?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yes.

Just like rwd you have to modify driving technique and it would be a damn good idea to stiffen the car up.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Yes, but its different in FWD to RWD. The only handling problem with a rwd if you upgrade the power will be some oversteer, which is easy to avoid/correct. Having large power go through the CV's in a front wheel drive makes it unstable, have you ever driven a supercharged FWD?
yes, torque steer.

FWD cars are generally smaller, therefore better handling is generally better than most bigger RWD cars

RWD cars beat FWD cars in straights and power down, generally not through corners though.

in extreme driving RWD will have oversteer and FWD will have understeer, generally oversteer is corrected because the control you have over the front wheels and is easier (i.e you can bring the powering wheels back in line with the steering ones).

understeer is exactly that, lack of grip (or too much speed) and the front wheels cant grip, turn, and power at the same time (in regards to FWD cars) and you cant just swing the back past the direction of the front so as to correct the line of car direction.

for your point, i'd suggest you add weight to the equation (like slipstream did) because otherwise you're comparing small nimble FWD cars with bigger RWD cars, and we all know which handle better :rolleyes:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
haha...we're arguing over a point here?

i thought we were just for fun :eek:

i give up too, so dont feel like you lost

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hahaha...thats a car?

wtf is it?

no wait, dont tell me...i'd prefer to not know

7th Sign

HSC
slowest and most ugliest car of the future

behold....the shitboxxxxxxxxxx of the future

Its called a pivo

but I call it "golf car after crash"

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i lvoe reading my mini magazines :)

we're such a special breed, we get all exciting having 80fwhp :uhhuh:

the 100 mark is even more exciting :eek:

then 150 :D we're so easily pleased :p

Elements

HSC
From DRIVE

Scientists at Rice University in Texas have won the race to build the world's smallest car. It's called the nanocar, which ought to give a clue about its size. They say it is the world's first single-molecule vehicle and is built using nano-technology.

It has a chassis, pivoting axles and rotating wheels and measures three to four nanometres across, making it slightly wider than a strand of DNA. To put it in perspective, a human hair is about 80,000 nanometres in diameter. So in the width of a human hair you could place about 20,000 nanocars end to end. That's small.

The nanocar is described in a research paper from the university, which says the synthesis and testing of nanocars and other molecular machines is "providing critical insight in our investigations of bottom-up molecular manufacturing".

Professor James M. Tour, of the university's departments of chemistry, mechanical engineering, materials science and computer science, says: "We'd eventually like to move objects and do work in a controlled fashion on the molecular scale and these vehicles are great test beds for that. They're helping us learn the ground rules."

The nanocar is capable of rolling on its wheels in a direction at right angles to its axles and was tested by rolling it across a gold surface. At room temperature, strong electrical bonds held the wheels tightly against the gold but heating to about 200C freed them to roll.

Tour's research group has spent almost eight years perfecting the techniques used to make the nanocar and it is now working on a light-driven nanocar and a nanotruck that can carry a payload.
It'd have none-to-bugger-all power...... :)

Mr Will

HSC
?wha? said:
more like fwd + performance = wannabe hardcore sh!thead

ppl who drive like heavily modded CHARADES and other bomby cars should be shot IMO

obviously you havent heard of honda...or the integra type r. people who think rwd is the only way to get good handling are stupid bogans.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Mr Will said:
obviously you havent heard of honda...or the integra type r. people who think rwd is the only way to get good handling are stupid bogans.
yeah i smile at ford/holden drivers that fly past me, towards a bend, only to be overtaken by a corolla taking a bend at 80 which, if they were to take, would need all three lines. i would know because a guy once did take the full 2 lines to keep in front of me. they usually beat me again when we reach the end of the bend....

i used to drive a 87 corona and something happened in it that made it so slow that i would never line up a semi cos i knew it would beat me >.<

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
SlipStream said:
38kW. :cool:

My car makes up for it a little by weighing only 700kgs.
Are you driving a Smart Roadster or a Cappaucino? (can't spell; and wondering if such a car is allowed in Australia- knowledge limited to Initial D on that one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)