• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Losing weight to get a bf/gf (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
loquasagacious said:
The perfect petulant teen (or tween even) response. I particularly liked the high and mighty 'well excuse me!?' (or maybe you misheard my post??) and also the maturity of "then whatever" so I bolded them.

My statement "several dress sizes smaller/cup sizes larger/etc because you have a great personality" is a clear derivative of your 'you will be considered attractive because of your personality'. What we call this in debate is rephrasing your argument without changing its meaning as a method of exposing some otherwise hidden fact.

I'm also going to take a wild stab here that you are unattractive, as this explains your emphasis on personality (you seek to make up for your defecit of looks) and also your defensiveness.

For proof of my statement that guys dont like fattys or anorexics (to use the term colloquially(sp) refer to this poll where you may notice that fat+anorexic equals less than 10% of almost 200 respondents: http://community.boredofstudies.org/476/fashion-lifestyle/95289/body-type-poll.html?highlight=curvy

For proof of my following statement that uglies date uglies I suggest you open your eyes and look around the vast majority of attractive people date other attractive people. Perhaps because personality is independent of looks and just like uglies can have a good personality so can hotties... precis an attractive guy will seek an attractive girl with a good personality.

Now lets look at some other variables (and we could even do some regression analysis if you feel brave and/or your intelligence has like totally climbed since the quoted post.

Attractive girls may date unattractive guys because the guys are older than them (see Alby's post) which translates into 'more mature' or more realistically they have more money (to spend on a girl), more possesions, a car, more life experience to talk about, more experience dating and so for want of better terminology play the game better.

Attractive guys may fuck (the obscenity is used deliberately to indicate the base nature of this) unattractive girls because the girls make themselves available eg they are easy and guys looking for a fuck may indeed bang them just because it requires little effort. Secondly the guys may be drunk which will impair their judgement. Importantly though we use different standards of acceptability when looking for a one night stand versus looking for a partner eg one-night is lower.

Another possibility is the pool of available partners for instance an attractive male engineering/IT student may end up with a less attractive partner simply because the supply of females in these departments/social circles is low. The reverse may be true in arts where the dearth of males may create a buyers market (for the men) enabling them to 'trade up' and date girls more attractive than themselves because better alternatives to them are not available.

By this point you will either be confused, infuriated (blinded by your preconceptions), persuaded (unlikely because you probably ahve a vested interest/self-confidence in not being), given up reading for any of the above reasons.
Put more simply:

1. Smart people are not going to put up with idiots for a long term relationship.
2. The overall attractiveness of a person is a combination of their personality and attractiveness.
3. There are intelligent and stupid people at both ends of the attractiveness spectrum.
4. People will tend to date others who have about the same attractiveness level as them.
Hence, smart attractive people date other smart attractive people, dumb attractive people date other dumb attractive people, and so on.

I believe that effects such as faculty are minimal, because if the overall quality of classmates is poor, people look elsewhere.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Or even more simply:

1. Attractiveness is a combination of looks and personality.
2. We date the best that we can in a given market. In a competitive market this is the opposite(/same) gender person of greatest similarity to ourselves in looks and personality.
3. Those who deny the obvious are idiots.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
So basically all of that could be summarised by:

Economics where:

Money = f(personality, looks) = f(p,l)
and f(p+a,l+b) >= f(p,l) for all a,b >=0

davin

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'm gonna refute the vego's arguments by referring to health as a balance between mental and physical health, and if I ever stopped eating animal products I would be a lot less happy, as would a lot of people.

</stupid but entirely logically sound argument>
i'd actually agree there. without food I enjoy.... what'd be the point?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I would suggest that the proof of the vego/vegan diet lays in its results which are as cited:

A)weightloss
B)More energy
C)Better 'pooping'

And now for some notes:

A) Weightloss indicates that a vego diet entails eating less in terms of kilojoules (go back to the US anyone who says calories). This is nothing particularly special in this, you can 'eat less' without stopping eating meat. Perhaps the tendency to loose weight is in part due to the difficulty of eating excessive vego products, eg they are energy inefficient in terms of a large ammount containing not much energy therefore it is harder to over-indulge as a vego. More importantly though vegos will tend to lead otherwise healthy lives eg avoiding refined sugar which will help weight loss.

Also some have mentioned the rapid effects of a vego diet on weight-loss (weight pours off) this is a bad, to take this as an unmitigated good would not be disimilar to saying that stopping eating is good for weight loss. Weight loss should be a gradual process to prevent trauma to the body and also to promote more long lasting declines as opposed to a famine decline which will result in titanic weight-gain if you eat more than subsitence.

Conclusion weight loss is not specific to vego diets and the loss-rates claimed could be unhealthy.

B) Well on the one hand this is in conflict with point A. That is it is hard to say that decreasing energy consumption eg loosing weight will result in an increase in energy. More likely this refersto a general feeling of well-being which likely results from a diet that is higher in fruit and veg which are good sources of essential vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.

Again this is not a specific vego diet outcome.

C) This is going to be a result of dietry fibre and again no need to be a vego to get lots of fibre.

Conclusion:

To enjoy the benefits of a vegetarian diet there is no need to stop eating meat you can enjoy all the benefits by simply eating a healthy omnivorous diet.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
soooo back to the topic?
i know when i was really really thin, i used to get no attention. i lost heaps of weight thinking that a guy would love the fact that im skinny and you can see my hips and ribs jutting out (eww) but turns out i get more attention when im normal.
really, i think we all spend too much time thinking about how we look and what others think of us for it. if someone really likes you... then they'll like you as is.

JMFH

HSC
N/A
Oh WOW... i laughed my whole way reading through this post. Fucking joke. Why bother with girl friends and boy friends. Yer it sick if you get one because your all thin and shit but then what? Its great you get noticed. But fucking just learn to be yourself first and have fun. Because if you think changing your physical self is going to help, its running away from the problem temporarily.

Gosh!

I excercise and have fun because its awesome. How i look well, is the image people think of if they think of me. Maybe its just me and i dont let myself get viewed in any other way, but hey im so flippin happy about not having anything of the sort... and ive only had one girlfriend or something that i got forced into by a whole bunch of whiney chicks and dumped her a day later.

Gosh!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
JMFH, having not had a girlfriend I don't think you're in a position to call anyone out for trying to get one by weight loss. Heck, if I was a fatty I'd try to lose weight so I could score...

SweetSeasons

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
JMFH, having not had a girlfriend I don't think you're in a position to call anyone out for trying to get one by weight loss. Heck, if I was a fatty I'd try to lose weight so I could score...
lol thats pretty much it, i just want some loving lol!!

L

littlewing69

SweetSeasons said:
lol thats pretty much it, i just want some loving lol!!
That's as good a reason as any. Go for it, and good luck. I know several girls who used to be overweight and are now teh hawt.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
littlewing69 said:
That's as good a reason as any. Go for it, and good luck. I know several girls who used to be overweight and are now teh hawt.
at the same time i know girls (and i was one in the past) who go far beyond what is considered just "thin" and are quite unhealthy because they think that will get them attention and affection from guys.

you have to watch out sometimes.

L

littlewing69

azzie said:
at the same time i know girls (and i was one in the past) who go far beyond what is considered just "thin" and are quite unhealthy because they think that will get them attention and affection from guys.

you have to watch out sometimes.
Definitely. The key is to read up on it, do your research, and find out how to do it healthily and responsibly. The "bag full of antlers" look may be all over the cover of Vogue, but the man on the street isn't so keen on skeletal girls.

Just Click It

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm gonna refute the vego's arguments by referring to health as a balance between mental and physical health, and if I ever stopped eating animal products I would be a lot less happy, as would a lot of people.

</stupid but entirely logically sound argument>
Please explain. Don't make it up pls. Think about what you're saying before you say it. If your argument is valid, then sure, I'll accept that the act of eating meat would make me happy, but until then, I'm not convinced. :)

loquasagacious said:
Also some have mentioned the rapid effects of a vego diet on weight-loss (weight pours off) this is a bad
Yes, I weigh 10 kilo's and I'm 5'8 because I live off carrots and letuce alone. umm lol? I agree though, losing weight rapidly is bad, but a vegie diet alone doesn't cause that. There are many meat equivilents. Have you actually researched the vegie diet in-depth?

*sasha*

HSC
sweetseasons if ur ex gets back with u just because ur hot he wont be worth it. looks seriously arent everything and u dont sound like ur huge or anything so dont stress. find a guy that likes u for u and when it comes to losing weight do it for urself not for someone else. and yeah relationships that form because of the way a person looks never last and ur just going to get hurt all over again.

JMFH

HSC
N/A
why dont you just relax, chill... And if you truly want to excercise because you feel like tis going to make you vital and awesome (WHICH IT WILL) then go for it.

BUT HEY im going to be blunt
GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO FOR A 30 minute walk at least to start off with. Hit the beach that place is fucken awesome, i wish i was a dolphin.

Whats with this obsession for lust. Its so contempo, makes me sick. I love my mates my music and my waves, but i share them haha...

FLAME ME AGAIN :D

IM ANTI RELATIONSHIPS... Just because i lack experience, i see enough people getting fucked over. Even the ones that bear some resembelence of hope die, because of one reason which so many people fall into. Their autonomy, justify oneself and unify and be a relationship, then ill bet on the power of love!

- Jess

P.S You can eat whatever you want and lots of it, just make sure some of its good and you excercise it off... work out your shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)