LinkedIn help (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
how often has the linkedin profile made a positive impact vs a negative one?
It is neither a positive or negative reflection on the candidate.

It gives me insight into a few things...
  1. What have they customised in their CV
  2. What have they shared publicly vs what they have shared in the application
  3. Any transferable skills would I also be interested to know more about

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Swings both ways in my experience. Sometimes it intrigues me and makes me more interested to meet someone, sometimes it leads me to ask something which they otherwise weren't intending to disclose, and sometimes it leads to a bit of smoke and mirrors.

It's also turned me off candidates altogether such that it's not worth my time to meet them for a role.
Agreed that significant differences in their CV and Linkedin profile has put me off candidates who look good on paper.

Generally, the interview cuts through the smoke and mirrors. Even better if you can screen it before the interview.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Agreed that significant differences in their CV and Linkedin profile has put me off candidates who look good on paper.
So you JUST said that it doesn't have a positive or negative impact....then the very next post you say certain linkedin profiles have put you off certain candidates. Which was my entire point to begin with.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
So you JUST said that it doesn't have a positive or negative impact....then the very next post you say certain linkedin profiles have put you off certain candidates. Which was my entire point to begin with.
The primary point I'm making - be honest in your CV and linkedin profile.

Seondary point (and in response to the post I initially quoted) - your linkedin profile could be viewed by potential employers. Make what you want from this.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yeah it still sounds like linkedin has more potential to be a liability than a benefit

enoilgam

HSC
From a HR/Recruitment perspective, Id always recommend having an up to date LinkedIn profile, especially for white collar professionals. When Im interviewing people, I always do a quick LinkedIn search for a candidate and this is what I usually take out of it:
  • How significantly a candidate's LI profile differs from their CV. This isn't a major issue as you expect candidates to customise their CV to fit the role - after all, a CV often captures years of experience in 2 pages, so it does need to be properly focused. The LI would indicate to me the dominant parts of a candidates experience, just so I can see how much that aligns to the role. Obviously, if there is a huge difference between the CV/LI, then that is a potential red flag which needs to be followed up at interview
  • If a candidate has a really good LI profile, it shows me that they are engaged with their profession and up to date with modern trends and ways of working. Conversely, if a candidate doesn't have a LI profile or if it is shabby, it would suggest to me that maybe they dont put much effort into their career or they have an old school way of working
To stress though, especially with the last point, LI is an indicator, I wouldn't draw solid conclusions from a profile nor would it form a major part of a hiring decision. The only exemptions to that would be if I was hiring a recruitment professional or to a lesser extent a marketing professional. If a recruitment professional has a bad/non-existent profile, then really they aren't much of a recruitment professional because LinkedIn is a key tool. It would be like a heart surgeon without a stethoscope or a carpenter without a hammer. For a marketing professional, Id wonder how you can market an organisation when you cant be bothered marketing yourself.

That said, where having a strong profile comes in handy is with respect to headhunting. In this day and age, LinkedIn is the key tool when it comes to headhunting. Having a strong profile means you are more likely to appear when searched by recruiters. Also, if Im headhunting for a hiring manager Im not going to forward rubbish profiles, I'm going to forward the best ones. From experience, Ive successfully headhunted many candidates from LI and Ive also been headhunted myself.

Overall, it pays to have one - it might not make a huge difference, but it does have advantages which you would want in a competitive market.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
For a marketing professional, Id wonder how you can market an organisation when you cant be bothered marketing yourself.
You'd be surprised. Most marketers are terrible self-promoters. 😄

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
linkedin is pretty cool though.

I help set up multi-million dollar deals (for real) using linkedin for work

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That said, where having a strong profile comes in handy is with respect to headhunting. In this day and age, LinkedIn is the key tool when it comes to headhunting. Having a strong profile means you are more likely to appear when searched by recruiters. Also, if Im headhunting for a hiring manager Im not going to forward rubbish profiles, I'm going to forward the best ones. From experience, Ive successfully headhunted many candidates from LI and Ive also been headhunted myself.

Overall, it pays to have one - it might not make a huge difference, but it does have advantages which you would want in a competitive market.
Those recruiters stroke my ego with their JDs and offers!

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
this guy is still at uni, just to be clear

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
this guy is still at uni, just to be clear
I don't know if he is back at uni now but I do believe enoilgram worked in HR/recruitment for at least quite a few years. Regardless though, I wouldn't disagree with what he's said as it aligns with my own professional experience.

On another note, LinkedIn recruiter view is surprisingly insightful. It does give a whole level of appreciation of the various metadata/analytics LI has on everyday individuals.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I don't know if he is back at uni now but I do believe enoilgram worked in HR/recruitment for at least quite a few years. Regardless though, I wouldn't disagree with what he's said as it aligns with my own professional experience.

On another note, LinkedIn recruiter view is surprisingly insightful. It does give a whole level of appreciation of the various metadata/analytics LI has on everyday individuals.
no i mean the guy enoilgram is talking to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)