Law students and their unwarranted ego. (1 Viewer)

Geologic

Banned
HSC
I think I speak for every non-law student here in asking: what's with the attitude? Why are law students such epic pricks?

Why does doing a bachelor of laws mean you have to walk around campus with a pole up your backside, acting like you are a the son of Jesus, and being arrogant priggish twats to anyone unfortunate enough to be within a 10m radius of you? Being in college and doing a commerce degree @ Melbourne Uni means I was exposed to the cream of law wankery, and I need answers to logically explain such disdainful people and put it to rest.

You can instantly spot them in class; they're the pompous chucks wearing a suit + scarf with a briefcase. Or if they decide to go for the "I'm so chillaxed at the moment.... but don't forget I do law" look, you get them sporting $350 "college" jumper, boat shoes and possibly a tweed hat -- depends if they're the "artsy" type that writes horribly shit 15,000 word articles in the Union Magazine about their trip to the United Nations Student Forum.

I have also lost some good friends to this "law culture", one day they're a down-to-earth student, then as soon as they come back from 1sr year law camp they're suddenly in the "wine-purveyors society", study-buddy clubs and are reminding you every second word that: "oh the law ball was great because people there do law, and we talked about torts, and I've got an assignment.. in commercial law, and I met someone who works in law". A CLUE: You don't have to remind us you do "law" every fu**ing second word you arrogant dorks.

Not only this but they are always "too busy" because "law work is Sooooo much harder than what you're doing, you just wouldn't understand the hardships of doing law, you could not even fathom how difficult law is". Seriously, I have lost 3 good friends to this insidious disease of ego-masturbation, and going to meet their pretentious "law buddies" was the most depraved experience of my life.

Of course I have only touched the tip of the insane level of prickness people reach when doing this course, but I want to know why? That's the pertinent question: why all this hubris? Why does law make you feel better than everyone and so smug and up yourself? I mean, there is barely even a demand for law graduates. The whole ability to actually work in a decent legal position has been completely diluted. Graduate salary is shit ~ 50k or something? One of these friends who did LLB/BComm Monash with an 87 average couldn't even get into Allen's Arthur, or similar, so you have to be above that high level to even get somewhere respectful. Which means 85% of you vain people on here doing Law have shit-all chance of a decent grad position, and will most likely work as a paper-pushers or low-paid government jobs.

So I want to know WHY!? Your future prospects on average are not good at all, and is completely trumped by engineering, medicine & commerce and even often even science for example, but us others are chilled, you guys are ostentatious A-holes. Needless to say it is also hands-down the most boring & applicably useless material to subject one's self to in the whole University curricullum.

You're all arrogant deluded mummy's boys who thrive in this gay "law-club" mentality of false hopes and willingly subject everyone else to this foul miasma of self-importance.

So from all the other students on campus: Get over yourselves!! You are nothing but arts student, and everyone knows it, except you.

:shoot:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LOL. I don't even know how to begin replying to this.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol.

I'm studying Audio Engineering and have met one of these "law types"... They rabbited on about some technicality in some book claiming it was the hardest thing that anyone would ever have to do...

I replied simply: "Try re-patching a 250 insert/output patch bay while EQ'ing live vocals, monitoring the return signal off ProTools (live recording), on-the-fly mixing, reprogramming a digital effects unit, reading the cue sheets and following those cues, putting CD's on standby and playing, instructing the assistants on how to operate headset mics while giving constant updates to the stage manager, light box, production manager, floor manager and foldback operator... All almost at the same time, during a live musical..."

- I actually had to do that once, after there was a power surge and all my gear went haywire. Wasn't fun XD.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
AusBluesMan said:
I replied simply: "Try re-patching a 250 insert/output patch bay while EQ'ing live vocals, monitoring the return signal off ProTools (live recording), on-the-fly mixing, reprogramming a digital effects unit, reading the cue sheets, putting CD's on standby and playing while giving constant updates to the stage manage, light box, production manager, floor manager and foldback operator... All almost at the same time, during a live musical..."
In your scenario, various lawyers had to:
  • draft the design, manufacture and supply agreements for all your audio hardware;
  • draft the licensing agreements for all your audio software;
  • deal with any licensing for the public performance of music;
  • draft the employment contracts of the employees at the venue;
  • address any public liability issues at the venue;
  • address licensing requirements if it was a venue which served alcohol, etc.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I doubt i'd know much about this but isn't there that pride entailed with making it in law?
meh
ignore them...is it really that big a deal?

Oliver04

HSC
Happens a bit.

A lot of the kids in law are very talented - we have a knights cheerleader and I've heard shes on some pretty awesome marks.

I'd think I'm awesome too if that was me.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
In your scenario, various lawyers had to:
  • draft the design, manufacture and supply agreements for all your audio hardware;
  • draft the licensing agreements for all your audio software;
  • deal with any licensing for the public performance of music;
  • draft the employment contracts of the employees at the venue;
  • address any public liability issues at the venue;
  • address licensing requirements if it was a venue which served alcohol, etc.
True, but not all simultaneously while being under such time constraints that if a cue is missed, the entire show grinds to a halt XD.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol yea ok engineering marketing boy =)
haha are you still that fuckin much of an idiot to think that what i randomly put on my interests means i want to do marketing?

you're a peasant, useless scum.

hi-im-alex

HSC
The whole ability to actually work in a decent legal position has been completely diluted. Graduate salary is shit ~ 50k or something? One of these friends who did LLB/BComm Monash with an 87 average couldn't even get into Allen's Arthur, or similar, so you have to be above that high level to even get somewhere respectful. Which means 85% of you vain people on here doing Law have shit-all chance of a decent grad position, and will most likely work as a paper-pushers or low-paid government jobs.

So I want to know WHY!? Your future prospects on average are not good at all, and is completely trumped by engineering, medicine .

:shoot:
have to admit his got a good point here, unless you go to a Go8 uni and do well in your degree chances of a clerkship are pretty low. Sure, you can qoute 85+% graduate employment rates and the crappier law schools will gloat about these, but how many are actual clerkships? not many. Most will be relying on there other degree such as commerce, and if its arts/law then some government job...
the glory days of law students setting themselves for a successful career are long gone, unless you go to a Sandstone uni.

tessery

HSC
"You are nothing but arts student, and everyone knows it, except you"

I take real offence to that statement - not because you are equating a Law degree to an
Arts degree, but to the fact you’ve decided that while Law students are snobs for thinking their degree is better/harder than anyone else's, its fine for you to make a joke out of Arts degrees. It sounds like you are the one who is perpetuating degree superiority more than anyone else on this forum.

I am an Arts/Law student, and I accept there is a certain "law student" mentality of those in its inner circle. When you constantly hang out with other people who do law, and you are constantly bogged down with heaps of law readings/assignments/study etc, you naturally end up talking about a lot. So I can understand how, when talking to people who don’t do law, this focus on your degree can come across as bragging or being snobby. And admittedly, at my uni I know a lot of people who become a bit of obsessed with this "law cult" and can't imagine a world outside it.

But in my two years of Law I have never once spoken to someone about how superior/how much harder/how much better my degree is, nor have I ever witnessed someone criticise another degree for being easier (except Arts degrees, but apparently, according to Geologic, that’s fine). AusBluesMan, while I respect his comment, is doing the same thing - why do you need to prove engineering is harder than law? They are both entirely different degrees, I don't understand why people need to compete.

I know an engineering student who, every time anyone posts a status on facebook about studying, having a hard assignment etc, will post a comment telling them to quit whinging, because engineering is so much harder and their degree is pretty pointless. Does that mean I think all engineering students are all stuck up jerks? No. Because I'm not going to insult a whole class of people for the actions of one - or, in your case, three friends who decide they don't want to hang out with you anymore.

"Needless to say it is also hands-down the most boring & applicably useless material to subject one's self to in the whole University curriculum".

Boring is a pretty subjective term. I would find engineering, medicine, maths, science etc extremely boring subjects to take - but that’s just because I prefer essay based subjects like law, history, English etc. Just because you aren't interested in something doesn't make it boring - you don't get to decide. And as for law being applicably useless to one's self? How absolutely moronic. Law regulates how our society functions - what we can and can't do every single day, what rights we have, how we can remedy inequalities in our current system. What could possibly be more relevant than that?

Anyway, I’m sure me writing this will have no impact whatsoever. But I saw this and couldn't help but respond.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
"You are nothing but arts student, and everyone knows it, except you"

I take real offence to that statement - not because you are equating a Law degree to an
Arts degree, but to the fact you’ve decided that while Law students are snobs for thinking their degree is better/harder than anyone else's, its fine for you to make a joke out of Arts degrees. It sounds like you are the one who is perpetuating degree superiority more than anyone else on this forum.

I am an Arts/Law student, and I accept there is a certain "law student" mentality of those in its inner circle. When you constantly hang out with other people who do law, and you are constantly bogged down with heaps of law readings/assignments/study etc, you naturally end up talking about a lot. So I can understand how, when talking to people who don’t do law, this focus on your degree can come across as bragging or being snobby. And admittedly, at my uni I know a lot of people who become a bit of obsessed with this "law cult" and can't imagine a world outside it.

But in my two years of Law I have never once spoken to someone about how superior/how much harder/how much better my degree is, nor have I ever witnessed someone criticise another degree for being easier (except Arts degrees, but apparently, according to Geologic, that’s fine). AusBluesMan, while I respect his comment, is doing the same thing - why do you need to prove engineering is harder than law? They are both entirely different degrees, I don't understand why people need to compete.

I know an engineering student who, every time anyone posts a status on facebook about studying, having a hard assignment etc, will post a comment telling them to quit whinging, because engineering is so much harder and their degree is pretty pointless. Does that mean I think all engineering students are all stuck up jerks? No. Because I'm not going to insult a whole class of people for the actions of one - or, in your case, three friends who decide they don't want to hang out with you anymore.

"Needless to say it is also hands-down the most boring & applicably useless material to subject one's self to in the whole University curriculum".

Boring is a pretty subjective term. I would find engineering, medicine, maths, science etc extremely boring subjects to take - but that’s just because I prefer essay based subjects like law, history, English etc. Just because you aren't interested in something doesn't make it boring - you don't get to decide. And as for law being applicably useless to one's self? How absolutely moronic. Law regulates how our society functions - what we can and can't do every single day, what rights we have, how we can remedy inequalities in our current system. What could possibly be more relevant than that?

Anyway, I’m sure me writing this will have no impact whatsoever. But I saw this and couldn't help but respond.
+ 1.

OP just because you know some douchey law students does not mean we are all like that!

I've done an Arts degree and I know how it differs from a law degree but I NEVER tell people that I think less of them or their course of study. There is a difference in workload, I don't think it means that others don't work hard or anything but any of my non law friends exclaim about the amount of reading I have or tell me how reding chapter summaries can get the at least a C in their course, they have recognised the difference moreso than I and yes sometimes I have to explain that I am busy but I don't mean it in a self-righteous way.

I never wear suits etc unless I have work or a moot and if I am wearing it at uni its probably because I have work/job interview/moot after uni. I normally where bright coloured, glittery dresses, skirts and I am fun and friendly!

I do admit I am busier than your average student but that is because my industry is so competative that working part time, getting decent grades isnt enough, I need to do a stack of extra-curiculars just to stand out. I am sure this is similar in other industries.

Take your biases elsewhere, because attacking law students you don't know because of things done by douches you know is stupid, rude and unfair. I don't like people that make huge generalisations and rant at people about things they haven't done. I hope you don't need a lawyer in the future because I'd hate to work for someone like you.

P.s I am not a mum's boy, I am a chick and I support myself through my degree.

Last edited:

lawstudent

HSC
haha are you still that fuckin much of an idiot to think that what i randomly put on my interests means i want to do marketing?

you're a peasant, useless scum.
Why are you trying to justify yourself so aggressively? lol could it be that i was right!?!?!? =O don't be so insecure, im sure you're good at something other than being rude at people on the internet. Have a nice day =) and won't be replying to your stupid posts anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)