Laptops (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Continuous data backup, not really depends how you handle your laptop and how to prevent head crashes, other wise generally alot of people just store documents and a few mp3 files which they switch between their desktop PC's and laptops.
yeah? how can u prevent ur laptop from getting stolen?
in that case, its not so much a matter of weeping over the value of the lost laptop, but the value of the information which is held within it...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by inasero
yeah? how can u prevent ur laptop from getting stolen?
in that case, its not so much a matter of weeping over the value of the lost laptop, but the value of the information which is held within it...

LOL Well i mean if you persistently have the thought of the laptop being stolen, then when will you purchase one? I mean if everybody thought like that then no one will buy one, it's inevitable that things are taxed by cheap people, you just have to be more on the safe side and look after it i see alot of uni students at librarys and when they have a laptop and need to go to the toilet or anything they take it with them, inconvenient but yeah.

If your more enough concerned about that piece of data and knowing the nature of technology you would very well have a second backup of it on like i don't know a removable memory card which doesn't cost like a fortune to purchase.

TheKey

HSC
you got a good point inasero, however i live far away from UNSW so i cant leave to go home between lectures, so i must write all my notes, homework and study inbetween lectures...So basically i write some notes during lecture, do some research/homework right after, and thats it, then i go out and have fun untill its time to go home...

for this i must have internet, and something to write with in digital form so i can always transfer to my home desktop and even though its expensive its much better then having to memorise everything or write with pen and when i get home ~8 i have to learn it all and type it up...

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
sure how on earth u afford a laptop!!
Out of curiosity, I calculated how much I've saved from not going to parties on Friday/Saturday for the last three years or so... Assuming I spent about $20 a week (drinks, fuel/bus tickets to get places, etc), it more than covered the cost of a laptop.

Consider it compensation for having no life. :D

Originally posted by Lexicographer
512 DDR is plenty for what I think you'll be doing (ie everything but Counter Strike)
Umm... I've got a machine with 64MB SDRAM in it, and it runs CS perfectly fine... I don't know what you're on about.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ash I'll just let you know the laptop I just bought from Dick Smith

And Im a computer retail delear and this deal is VERY well priced, even coming form Dick Smith.

Laptop cost $1798 ($400) off... This deal is avalible at any Dick Smith

OPTIMA CENTORIS PM 1.4 CENTRINO LAPTOP
30GB Hard Drive
256MB RAM
Built in 802.11b WLAN
DVD⁄CDRW Combo Drive
On-board LAN Modem
32MB on-board AGP video
14.1" TFT XGA Screen 1024x 768
4 in 1 Smart Media (Supports Memory Stick, Smart Media Card, Multimedia Card, and Secure Digital)
1 x IEEE1394 Firewire port
2 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x Serial Port
1 x Printer Port
Li-ion 8 cells 4400mah (up to 5 hours)
Total Weight is 2.1 Kg including battery
Dimensions 319(W)x260(D)x30-32(H) mm
WINDOWS XP HOME
Works Suite 2003
1 YEAR PICK-UP AND RETURN (24 HOUR TURNAROUND) WARRANTY
FOR ALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT ISSUES PLEASE CALL OPTIMA ON 1300 138 400

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I ended up buying the Dell...

And for those that were telling me the pros/cons vs a desktop, I already know... the main reason for getting a laptop is that I will be going back and forth from home (Albury) to Syd during hols and breaks.... also I'm living in student accomodation which they rent out over break periods so I couldn't just leave the computer there... it wouldn't be practical to be lugging a desktop computer back and forth to Albury....

Thanks for all your help everyone...

s2ophie

HSC
OK I've read through this thread but i still have a few more questions. I am looking at getting a laptop in the next week or so and i need some help!

1. What exactly is centrino? I think i get it but can someone explain it to me as if i was a 5 year old? Oh and why do i need it ie what are its advantages?
2. Which brands should i stay away from?
3. Where should i definately not but one from?
4. With connecting to the internet, i will be living on college but when i come home can i connect it to my parents broadband connection?
5. umm is their anything else that i should know?

The HP centrino that i was looking at yesterday was about $2700 but a little bit lower price would be better.

Thank you all!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by s2ophie
4. With connecting to the internet, i will be living on college but when i come home can i connect it to my parents broadband connection?
Unless you install the modem to your laptop you wont be able to connect as such.

The best solution would be to get wireless network cards and network through your parents computer and access the net that way.

TheKey

HSC
1. centrino is like a combination of things, for a laptop to be considered a centrino it must have a Pentium-M processor, Intel 855 chipset, and Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection. (quote from http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=148915)

2. i would say HP is crap for using cheap parts, (what i heard from many poeple)

3. overseas (no warranty, unless you get SONY i think they have international warranty)

4. if you get a centrino you should have a wireless card but unless you have a wireless router at home i dont see how..but then it would be possible to network them with a 'cross over' cable and use the 10/100 network card which should also be in your laptop. (i could be way off here, i know how to connect pc's, i never did laptops...)

5. DELL has a mad deal on now, 600m for $1,998 or something, its perfect but with +$100 you can get a 64mb radeon videocard which would make it great for games and/or another $100 to get a better screen.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Soph, I wouldn't buy a laptop from the retailers in Albury. They are all over priced. I got the Dell Inspiron 600m... it's fantastic (I'm on it now) and I think it was excellent value for money. I'd really recommend Dell.... they have some great deals e.g. I got a free leather carry bag with this that would have been worth at least $200 retail and also I got extra gb hard drive.....

They seem like a fairly solid computer, some of the other laptops I looked at in Albury, such as Compaqs and HP's, seemed a bit flimsy..... my last laptop was a compaq, and I would never buy another one...

The only thing that pissed me off with Dell is that now they have that fabulous offer for the laptop I purchased last week!!! I paid $2398!!!!! Now it's $1999.... personally I would jump on that offer, as the Dell 600m has centrino and everything....

Plus I think I could figure out a way that you could get it to connect to broadband.... but you would have to unplug it from the other computer lol......

Anyway if you wanna have a look at one, tell me and I can bring it over for a play lol

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
OK I've read through this thread but i still have a few more questions. I am looking at getting a laptop in the next week or so and i need some help!

1. What exactly is centrino? I think i get it but can someone explain it to me as if i was a 5 year old? Oh and why do i need it ie what are its advantages?
2. Which brands should i stay away from?
3. Where should i definately not but one from?
5. umm is their anything else that i should know?

The HP centrino that i was looking at yesterday was about $2700 but a little bit lower price would be better.

Thank you all!
1) Centrino is Intel's new mobile technology, it's specifically designed for people on the run and constantly using wireless networks etc

2) Well that depends on a whole lot of factors, i like HP, and Dell myself they are two good companies
3) lol... don't buy one from dodgy computer shops, always purchase a laptop from a known shop, like a good computer store or electronics store, i.e. harvey norman, domayne etc
4) Yes you can connect it your laptop, if you're parents use cable, you can connect it through the USB or the network card into your laptop
5) What else do you want to know? Just make sure you have a look at the laptop and try before you buy, and know that that's the one you're comfortable with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)