Laptops (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I need a laptop for uni. Give me some opinions on good brands! I'm looking at buying one from Dell Online http://www.dell.com.au, the model I'm looking at is the Inspiron 1100. What type of laptop (brands etc) would you guys recommend, and what have you heard about Dell laptops?

Here are specs for the one I am looking at, which is priced at $2097
Inspiron(TM) 1100 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 2.60GHz (15" XGA)
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition (English)
512MB (2x256) DDR Memory PC2100 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Do you think this is good value for money?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, firstly your primary purpose for buying a laptop is study. That means a lot of document handling etc, but I don't think you're much of a gamer. How long do you want the laptop to last? What's your budget? Are you going to be using it for other things like internet (BoS), music, movies etc?

512 DDR is plenty for what I think you'll be doing (ie everything but Counter Strike)
Win XP Home is stupid but will suffice :)
2.6GHz is excellent for you and will last long enough (by laptop standards)
40 Gb is on the small side but since you're not going to be saving any big files or programs (ie MS Office Pro, Spiderman 2) it should do you.

$2097 is a pretty good price, but make sure you compare that price and specs to other makers, and always ask about things like warranty.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Ok, firstly your primary purpose for buying a laptop is study. That means a lot of document handling etc, but I don't think you're much of a gamer. How long do you want the laptop to last? What's your budget? Are you going to be using it for other things like internet (BoS), music, movies etc?

512 DDR is plenty for what I think you'll be doing (ie everything but Counter Strike)
Win XP Home is stupid but will suffice :)
2.6GHz is excellent for you and will last long enough (by laptop standards)
40 Gb is on the small side but since you're not going to be saving any big files or programs (ie MS Office Pro, Spiderman 2) it should do you.

$2097 is a pretty good price, but make sure you compare that price and specs to other makers, and always ask about things like warranty.

Yeah, your face Robert, how is Windows XP Home stupid? I don't think you know the difference, which is simply some minor additional networking features which i'm pretty sure she wouldn't use at all.

psycho_mushy

HSC
hey braindrainedAsh! :)

I have a Dell its bout hmm.. 8 months old...

Its not a bad brand.. I got the Inspiron 8600, u can have a look its heaps powerful but too redundant for just working...

anyway.. in my opinion don't get the Dell Inspiron 1100, my friend has that and unless you want to sacrifice yourself to carrying a big fat turd around, you don't want to get that. However if you don't mind doing the occassional carrying around I guess its fine, however mind you the base if very thick which hehee.. makes it heavy in other words.

If you want a laptop for work only, I'll go for the Dell Inspiron 600m, its heaps smaller and way lighter. You can basically carry it around like a book, like what u did during year 12 and stuff. I wouldn't mind dishing out and extra hundred just to get this for work, coz its much lighter and although it doesn't have the massive power unlike its 8600 counter part, it would serve you well coz as u stated, u only wanted it for work yes?!??!?!

Dell is a good brand, however since I got a Dell, I would like to say that they're building techniques for computers are a bit say "not up to scratch". I've had mine for 3 months when I got it, and the lappy seemed to be well degrading around... must've have been me using it too much! :D

You're going to UTS aren't you? :D I hope I make it into there :)

Hope me opinion helps! :)

psycho_mushy

HSC
forgot to say BraindrainedAsh

the Dell Inspiron 600m has the following config.. mind you its the cheapest one of the 3 prices stated :)

they look heaps good:

Intel Pentium M 1.4 Ghz
14.1 screen
WinXP Home
512MB RAM (for a limited time only, normally 256mb which is still enough for working)
64MB DDR Ati Mobility 9000 AGP 4X video card (good for games! :D)
there's no floppy drive (Dell dropped the standard a year ago, so u have to pay extra or get the better USB keys)
40GB Pretty decent I reckon :)
24x CD-RW/DVD combo drive
Intel Pro Wireless miniPCI card
Modem

I dunno... have a look! doesn't sound too bad! It should be more than adequte for gaming! look at the video card! :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by psycho_mushy
I'm not rich!

bah... who cares what ppl think! :)

sure how on earth u afford a laptop!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm not really a gamer so it would be used for uni work, and the internet primarily. Thanks for your advice. I'd ideally like to have the laptop for my whole degree (5 years) but if it is crap and dies I'll give it to my lil sis and buy a new one lol.

Hatty, why do you say having a centrino is essentual for uni?

And for whoever asked I'll be doing communications at UTS.... or perhaps at Wollongong.

Also, I'm on a budget, I can't spend anymore on the laptop than $2500 (I'd like to only spend around the $2000 mark though)

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Mushy, with the 600m and the 1100, how much difference in power would there be considering that the one has 1.4 GHz processor, and the other has 2.6?

What brand would you guys say makes the best laptops. I had a laptop along time ago which is now screwed (I've given it to my bro lol) and it was a Compaq and it was shitty, so I wouldn't buy another compaq laptop.

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh

Hatty, why do you say having a centrino is essentual for uni?

Centrino is really good for use at Universities because u can connect wirelessly at highspeeds to their internet/intranet to access ur documents or just some research.
meaning u can sit outside on a nice day instead of stuck inside some library or computer lab

it isn't "essential", but its good

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
So which ones are centrino ones? Would that work at UTS? Does it cost more to connect to the net wirelessly? Could you connect to UTS internet wirelessly for free from Albury lol?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Could you connect to UTS internet wirelessly for free from Albury lol?
lol....

If only... then I could connect to networks over all the world :)

No it only works usually around 1km radius

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
This is the other one I am considering

Dell Inspiron(TM) 600m 1400GT Notebook
Price AUD 2,398.00
Base System Inspiron(TM) 600M Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.4GHz (14.1" XGA)
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition (English)
Warranty & Support Services 1Yr Limited Warranty with Next Business Day Onsite Service
Installation Services No Installation Requested
Future Technical Support Future Technical Support
DIMM Memory 512MB (2x256) DDR Memory PC2100 SDRAM
Keyboard Internal Dell(TM) 87 Keys Keyboard (English)
Software Microsoft(R) Works 7.0
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
EIDE Hard Drive 40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive Internal 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Wireless Solution Intel(R) PRO Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b) miniPCI Card
Internet ISP OzEmail ISP - Pre-Installed
Internet ISP II AOL 3-Month Internet Offer
Internet ISP III Prints@dell : Link to a Digital photograph Website
Modem Internal 56K Modem
Primary Battery 6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Freights Inspiron(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges (Australia)
Limited Time Offer (For Online Orders Only) Free upgrade from 256MB to 512MB memory
Limited Time Offer 1 Free upgrade from 32MB video to 64MB video
Remarks Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above.
Internet ISP IV Telstra Dial-Up Trial Plan
Carry Case No Case

What do you think of this one?? It has wireless technology... would I be able to connect to broadband with this?

psycho_mushy

HSC
So which ones are centrino ones? Would that work at UTS? Does it cost more to connect to the net wirelessly? Could you connect to UTS internet wirelessly for free from Albury lol?
Centrino ones are heaps better.. in general they are better than the Mobile Intel Pentium 4's...

So if u seen a Mobile Pentium 4 with say 2Ghz of power and a Centrino with 1.7 Ghz, the Centrino is more or less that equivalence and takes up less battery life + Intel's push for wireless networking is also a big plus! :)

Ash, with so many laptop's on the market, and if I had a choice for brands I would choose Dell coz they are pretty much trusted and u have to bear in mind that you're buying a "laptop" not a "desktop" which is heaps easier to maintain.

Laptop brands in my opinion:
Hp: expensive though not too bad, my friend's dad works for HP and in his opinion they are crap coz they break down so easily and they don't keep to their word

Compaq: downright shit for their money

Toshiba: They are heaps good, use quality parts but unlike Compaq, they are heaps expensive, so I think they're not terribly good for your budget :)

Gateway (Buy Online): Damn good quality laptops! I had one for 3 years and never ever broke down, no format no whatever! But you have to buy online! :(

Domestic Brands/Others: Maybe good but I wouldn't trust these coz as I said earlier, you are buying a laptop, not a desktop!

With Dell, you'll get onsight warranty and all those jargon, and if I'm not wrong every month or so, they have deals i.e. free upgrades and are heaps a good bet! With Dell, if u are going to buy it, buy online coz u get benefits! :)

Mushy, with the 600m and the 1100, how much difference in power would there be considering that the one has 1.4 GHz processor, and the other has 2.6?
mmmmm... there would be a decrease in power, but if you don't play games like memory hogging ones, then you'll be fine with 1.4 Ghz and periodic games.. After all the 600m comes with a pretty decent graphics card for games and heaps of RAM :)

psycho_mushy

HSC
This is the other one I am considering

Dell Inspiron(TM) 600m 1400GT Notebook
Price AUD 2,398.00
Base System Inspiron(TM) 600M Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.4GHz (14.1" XGA)
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition (English)
Warranty & Support Services 1Yr Limited Warranty with Next Business Day Onsite Service
Installation Services No Installation Requested
Future Technical Support Future Technical Support
DIMM Memory 512MB (2x256) DDR Memory PC2100 SDRAM
Keyboard Internal Dell(TM) 87 Keys Keyboard (English)
Software Microsoft(R) Works 7.0
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
EIDE Hard Drive 40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive Internal 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Wireless Solution Intel(R) PRO Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b) miniPCI Card
Internet ISP OzEmail ISP - Pre-Installed
Internet ISP II AOL 3-Month Internet Offer
Internet ISP III Prints@dell : Link to a Digital photograph Website
Modem Internal 56K Modem
Primary Battery 6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Freights Inspiron(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges (Australia)
Limited Time Offer (For Online Orders Only) Free upgrade from 256MB to 512MB memory
Limited Time Offer 1 Free upgrade from 32MB video to 64MB video
Remarks Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above.
Internet ISP IV Telstra Dial-Up Trial Plan
Carry Case No Case

What do you think of this one?? It has wireless technology... would I be able to connect to broadband with this?
that was the one I was describing! :)

yes it will be able to have broadband coz it has a network card and also a USB port which is more than adequant :) The wireless card is just mainly for Uni. use which is more than adequate...

I'll have a look for you more and tell u if there's any cons ;)

hatty

Banned
u gotta be on campus grounds. u should ask the seller for centrino, but it usually has a sticker on it.
i thnk most of the universities in Australia allows u to connect wirelessy because their networks allow hotspots and so forth.

im not sure if it costs more or not, but i dont think so.

Winston

HSC
Like to make a note to braindrainedAsh, you don't have to care too much about processing power i mean anywhere from 1.7 ghz and greater is by far sufficient, first of all you'll probably be using this without the power adapter and when that's the case you're CPU speed decreases accordingly to how much processing power is actually required, this is aiming to reduce the battery use and extend the battery usage. Besides, i highly doubt any rapid processing is muchly required, simple internet browsing and online Instant Messenging and Office Base Suite use should work very well already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)