King Lear (1 Viewer)

gonzalina

SOme of her theories were good, like the multimedia to add depth and link the Shakespearean play with today's context, and I do (to an extent) agree with her removing the Fool, but she just had no coherent way of expressing her views, because I'm sure she had some quite valid points, but it appeared as if she had just woken up!
Okay, these are the notes i wrote when my class discussed the production.

What can I get out of this production?

- The use of the red spotlight, esp when Gloucester lost his eyes.
- It was a symbloic representaion (as opposed to naturalistic)
- Lear should not have doubled up
- There was no direction
- The flies to wanton boys line - emphasised with projection of flies
- Used mixed media for lots of thing, but it didn't really back it up.
- Had low production values (tacky)
-The characters didn't develop throughout the story (eg, Edgar - lost prtagonist, christian thrust, the hope)
- They downplayed the women
- The potential for a good multimedia production
- The music did not fit

was flawed, but had some interesting experiments
- use of imagery to back up the character of Edmund
- minimalisation as a production

I still hold that whist she may have had some good ideas, she did not know how to connect them, and make them work. One reason for this being she didnt understand the play she was dealing with.

Doylie

Yeh when we saw that production my english teacher stood up after the play and asked the director why she did such and such and the directors response was "Because i liked it. I wanted to emphasise the story of the play" Like, come on woman, you're supposed to be the bloody director of the play and your motivation was because you felt like it??
I though the production was confusing with the actors doubling up, which made you have to think "which character is this actor delivering this line as?"

bex

HSC
Maybe she was trying to keep costs down so she could do the whole multimedia thing and thats why she doubled characters....
i dunno i made that up but anyway...

I think the image of the fly buzzing around was brilliant .. there was SO much that could be drawn from that and i was really thinking into it, like you know, Lored of the Flies reference, therefore modernising it, raw human nature expressed through Edmund, possible existenialist???...... and then the director opened her mouth! eeeesh what a let down...

Can someone explain the image of the burning house? Is that the war within the family?

gonzalina

The image of the burning down house is representative of the breakdown of society (in my view). so i guess you can see it as the breakdown of whatever you want. as there is a breakdown between family bonds and communication, there is an increase in the division in the kingdom??????? i dunno....brain is frazzled...mind is singing to the tune of stupid CHANGE (two guesses for what i was studying today....)

okay, so burning lead to death and destruction. the image is shown at different stages of the burning isnt it? so it relates directly to the situation in the play...would be so much EASIER to pick to pieces if the director had had some direction! argh!

i hope that helped/made some form of coherent sense!

~the one who is BORED

Tha Realest

sorry if its already been explained..

but could someone please tell me what the differences between productions, films and readings are? :confused:

Last edited:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
productions= any 'version' of Lear made... for stage, for TV, it doesn't matter.
film = movies!!!:D ...or the Lear stuff made for TV?
reading= interpretations that would be by a stereotypical person... eg freudian reading might see the daughters as the fates, etc.

Tha Realest

oh ok..thanks for that..
I made that post after reading this:
Originally posted by Lee
productions=films=interpretations=critics views=readings
so basically i just have to know..
Productions
Interpretations
Critics views

correct..?

ben

Originally posted by BlackJack
Yep. wait... critics review??? I've got no critics to refer to... what critics would that be?
grrr... stupid name dropping=marks...
ROFL! true but annoying. I'll probably get into the exam with quotes on critics, readings, production, yada yada but not know a single quote from the actual play or a single characters name.

Wait - the band 5/6 response for 'in the wild' didn't mention a single event or character in the texts...

gonzalina

the band 5/6 response for 'in the wild' didn't mention a single event or character in the texts...
well then, that would be why they were in the top of band five, but not in 6! remember that the band 5/6 on the standards are not the BEST of them, they are still in the cut off range

ben

Originally posted by gonzalina

well then, that would be why they were in the top of band five, but not in 6! remember that the band 5/6 on the standards are not the BEST of them, they are still in the cut off range
yes, I am aware of that. But only 5% of people in english got band 6... and so I would be very very happy to get at the top of band 5 for english!

philbert_frog

those responses are shithouse

esp the frontline and the BNW/BR

can someone pls tell me WHERE representation is in the Frontline response?!? - and these are meant to be good responses when the module heading is "representation and text"

gonzalina

Yeah, i know... but i was just saying that if they didn't mention a single event or character in the texts then there is no way that they could have possibly gotten band 6, reguarless of how good the rest of their answer was....

anway, how is everyone's timetables?
i love mine :)
english -monday,wednesday
maths -monday
ext eng-monday
geog- thurs
chem-fri
drama-fri (great last exam in entire HSC...when most of you have all already finished...)

Doylie

My timetable is shithouse:

2U English - Mon, Wed
Business Thur
Modern His - Fri
2U Maths - Mon
3U Maths - Fri
3U English - Mon

I finish on the freaking 4th November!!!

ben

Originally posted by Doylie
My timetable is shithouse:

2U English - Mon, Wed
Business Thur
Modern His - Fri
2U Maths - Mon
3U Maths - Fri
3U English - Mon

I finish on the freaking 4th November!!!
that's pretty similar to mine, except I have 4 in the first week ;-(

elfgal

mine is near perfect:
mon: english aos
wed: english adv
fri: mod history
mon: 2u math
wed: 3u math
mon: 3u english
tue: legal studies
thu: ext history

they're all spaced out and i still finish pretty early - i'm happy :apig:

philbert_frog

ben, he's got 4 in the 1st week too!

so do i:

week1:
Mon - AoS
Wed - Modules
Thurs - Biz
Fri - Modern Hist

week2:
Mon - Maths

week3:
Thurs - Hist. Ext

week 4:
Wed - Eco

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Mine's okay, except for the first week, damn friday!

week1
mon - english
wed - english
Fri - Modern History and IPT

week 2
tues:maths

week 3
tues - legal studies

week 4
wed - economics

ben

I can't remember if I already posted mine, here it is again anyway! :cool:

Week 1:
Mon: English
Wed: English and DT
Thur: Business

Week 2:
Mon: Maths
Fri: Ancient

Week 3:
Wed: Physics

NOT HAPPY! :mad: :mad: ... lol, it's a lot better than some others though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)