King Lear (1 Viewer)

bex

HSC
You know.... after reading all these posts ive comne to the conclusion that well... im gonna fail... BIG TIME......

I dont understand shakespeare AT ALL let alone how it can be seen from different points of view! i fucked up my last KL assessment and now im all set to screw this one up again! ARGH!!! i figured i would do a feminist reading.. what scenes are the best for this reading? Or i could do a humanist reading and focus on Edmund?

Can someone explain existentialism to me?!?!?!?

Lee

Originally posted by Morgues

last years hsc asked "How do different productions dramatise the theme of chaos and order"

people who substituted productions for readings got severely marked down according to the marking guidelines

What you had to do is say how a production might emphasise it and then argue that this fits in with a certain reading/interpretation but you couldnt just talk about readings

good point. but as i said b4 they will always add "might" to the question fro te not so fortunate students who don't see productions. i suppose it shou;ld be more like productions=films=readings=interpretations, but can not be
interpretations/readings = productions=films.

if asked a question on readings you can include productions, but not vice versa

it's only a one way street:)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well actually, you should be talking about both readings and productions, regardless of which the question asks for.

The point that Morgues was making was that some people wrote exclusively about readings when the question specifically asked for productions - this is clearly not what you should be doing.

Lee

ok, so i can't get across what i'm trying to say easily --->obvious now to anyone why i get such bad marks in english hehehe...

anyway, the point is if asked about productions, you talk about productions and yes you talk about reading, ut not directly, you only talk about them in how they influence the productions.

if you are asked on readings you talk reading and productions as if they were readings, not as if they influenced by readings (ypou can do that too though) like "cut theatre production was feminist becasue....."

now do you understand what i mean?

|_wise_|

ermm...exactly what is a reading?...just a way in which you could interpret the play?

Anton

HSC
Yes. See my previous post on the different ways to read it.

Anton

gonzalina

far out talk about HSC in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heh, heh....yessss! i noticed, except its less time now...i should really be studying, i keep saying, tomorrow you will do more than today...ha! didnt happen yet.

Good old King lear...

i saw that production at uni of NSW, the director was CRAP! We knew more about the play than she did. For HSC students, answering why she did a particular aspect a certain way by saying "i felt like it" is not a valid reason to put down in my HSC exam. do you think the markers would say, 'oh, well that girl obviously knows what shes talking about' if i back up a statment by saying I would do a certain aspect of the play that way, because i FELT like it? Anyway, I asked her why she chose to keep Kent alive at the end of the play, and she was like "what do you mean, Kent doesnt die". but he does, he follows lear into death.

the idea of projection was done well, and i thought the added visuals of glocester's death was well done. it certainly added empathy for edgar.

i disliked the white identical costumes, as there was too many double ups, and some of the double ups were strange, and few of the actors were good enough to pull this off using just their bodies.

personally, i disliked the images of the burning down house. there just seemed to be too big a contrast between the depth of images and themes being portrayed by the projections, versus the play which lost half it meaning and depth through the directors wreakless culling of script.

anyway, there's just a few thoughts on the production. If you saw the CUT Theatre production too, what did you think?

bex

HSC
that unsw one was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad... i saw it too

the actual play was pretty good and the director would have gotten away with it until she got up and spoke to us!

q) is there a profound reason why the fool isnt included?
a) i dont really like clowns

BLAH BLAH

ben

Originally posted by gonzalina

i saw that production at uni of NSW, the director was CRAP! We knew more about the play than she did. For HSC students, answering why she did a particular aspect a certain way by saying "i felt like it" is not a valid reason to put down in my HSC exam. do you think the markers would say, 'oh, well that girl obviously knows what shes talking about' if i back up a statment by saying I would do a certain aspect of the play that way, because i FELT like it? Anyway, I asked her why she chose to keep Kent alive at the end of the play, and she was like "what do you mean, Kent doesnt die". but he does, he follows lear into death.
Um... You should be mad at the Board of Studies - not the Director! It's the board of studies that is trying to tell us that director's represent different things because of their historical and social context. The King Lear module is soo bad its not funny - just read the standards package 5/6 answer for proof.

gonzalina

q) is there a profound reason why the fool isnt included?
the fool was not included because the director felt that in today's context, the fool was just a waste of time as all the comical elements of it went over our head as the jokes are not as funny to todays audiences.

Which, while it has some merit, she took out the ALL LICENSED FOOL! And whilst the jokes may not be understood, if it's played well they are, and by getting rid of it, we loose that aspect of reprimand and clearsightedness the fool can offer to lear.

bex

HSC
Um... You should be mad at the Board of Studies - not the Director! It's the board of studies that is trying to tell us that director's represent different things because of their historical and social context. The King Lear module is soo bad its not funny - just read the standards package 5/6 answer for proof.
i never thought of it that way!! But its so true! You have enlightened me! of course, i alkready knew that the BOS was full of crap... for example in Business, Different textbooks give different definitions of what poly/geo and ethno centric staffing are... when our teachers asked the BOS which was right, they told our teachers to decide!

As for the absence of the Fool, the production of King Lear sheds its integrety to the original play by cutting one of the most solid and intergral characters. This goes against pretty much everything 'CUT Theatre' aims to do. Their productions value themselves on marrying their own production with the original texts.

ben

Originally posted by bex

i never thought of it that way!! But its so true! You have enlightened me! of course, i alkready knew that the BOS was full of crap... for example in Business, Different textbooks give different definitions of what poly/geo and ethno centric staffing are... when our teachers asked the BOS which was right, they told our teachers to decide!
LOL - my business studies teacher rang them up about one of the financial ratios - because it was different in different textbooks. the BOS said for us to decide as well!

I think BS is one of the 'better' subjects in terms of syallabus b-s though (except it's too long).

philbert_frog

Originally posted by ben

LOL - my business studies teacher rang them up about one of the financial ratios - because it was different in different textbooks. the BOS said for us to decide as well!

I think BS is one of the 'better' subjects in terms of syallabus b-s though (except it's too long).
Is that the gearing ratio???

Thats been screwing our grade over, cuz we weren't sure - if they give it to us in the HSC, they have to give both answers correct marks, so its all good!

ps: Cut theatre production of Lear was good...i guess, but the director was so disorientated!!! Its like shes gone, "oh yeah, i'll do King Lear the way we did it before, so it'll be easy, and now that heaps of year 12'rs are doing it for the HSC i'll get guaranteed bums-on-seats" . SOme of her theories were good, like the multimedia to add depth and link the Shakespearean play with today's context, and I do (to an extent) agree with her removing the Fool, but she just had no coherent way of expressing her views, because I'm sure she had some quite valid points, but it appeared as if she had just woken up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)