King Lear (1 Viewer)

Morgues

Does anyone have any notes on different interpretations of Lear through productions?
We have not seen one production of Lear apart from reading the play/listening to a play
I am aware of the different readings such as feminist etc but not in the way productions implement these

krissy

we did an assessment on this... we each had to choose a scene and present a lecture on how we would interpret it using a chosen paradigm/reading... when i get a copy of everyone's handouts (i was away when we gort them), i would be glad to pass them on...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There's a whole bunch of english notes that will be going online today - I'm pretty sure there are some production notes in there.

staree

HSC
N/A
ask ur english teacher for a teacher's magazine (can't remember what it's called tho but I'll try to get it for you) for a huge section on different productions of Lear through the times.
If my teacher didn't photocopy for it the day before my exam I would have been dogpoop... very very useful.
Will ring up my ex teacher tomorrow to ask her about it.

|_wise_|

interpretations...

not sure how correct this is so it would be great if someone could confirm it....our teacher has told us that we can 'invent' a representation and use it....

eg:
I would make the setting ....
My soundscape......

anyone know if this is the case???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, you can - but you need to write about it properly. Make certain that it is clear that you are discussing a hypothetical production and not an actual production, and don't let your essay slip into first person.

It is allowed because there are many rural students who are unable to view a proper production of King Lear.

Anton

HSC
The odds are pretty high that you'll be asked about YOUR ideas of the production of King Lear. We've done assessment on that at my school (Fort St.), where we had to talk about 2 other productions, as well as how we would produce the play (i.e. 'King Lear could be portrayed in a corporate setting; a post-modern interpretation with elements of Marxism,' and so on. It is very difficult not to slip in to the first person, and while you probably wouldn't be severely penalised, it's best to simply say 'King Lear could be produced as...' and just make it obvious that it is YOUR interpretation, as the person above me said.

xox,
Anton

Morgues

So they can actually state a question for you to write about other productions?

|_wise_|

most definately....the unit is based on representations of king lear so it will alsmot definately be a question about a previous production...(of your choice)

Morgues

But rural students have not seen one production so theoretically they cant ask you to refer to productions

Anton

HSC
I'm pretty sure they CAN - and WILL - ask about productions. If you haven't seen a production, you're supposed to read about productions that have been put on (check the stuff at this site, quite handy some of it).
You can always find out about productions.

They WILL ask you about productions though, so study up.

Anton

Morgues

I think they can ask how you would stage a production but not necessarily ask you to refer to existing productions

thats what they did in the hsc last year anyway

sif not 99

u mighn't be specifically asked to write about other productions, but they can come in useful when discussing your own particular reading of Lear.

Yeah u can be asked to come up with ur own production as well, we already had an assessment task in which we had to do that

go my christian - marxist reading =)

Lee

the bos have to put in a question open to everyone. they usually put "might" in when asking about productions. like last year it was how might a production do this or that..whatever. but it leaves it open for you to make it up or to go on ones you've seen.

if you make it up you mhave to remember to say why. like, "i decided to cut out the fool because i felt it wsasn't relevent in todays society" or something. or "a production might cut out the fool as the director may not think that the lines are relevent to today's society." or if you've seen one, " the cut theatres production left out the role of the fool as the director john smith didn't feel that it was relevent to today's society."

see..plenty of ways around it:)

and for any country students who don't have much access to anything, there are plenty of video versions around including modern ones whihch should be in all video storeslike "a Thousand Acres" which you can refer to as a production. some libraries also have vids of KL

Anton

HSC
Marxist-Christian? Christ, how did you work that?

I did post-structuralist/feminist/Marxist, but that was only to show-off. Didn't work, got 11/15. Hehe.

Anton

Doylie

My understanding of it is that it is not 100% necessary to have seen other productions, or any production at all. Whilst it helps you can easily get 20/20 without it. All you need to do is choose your focus(es) and show how your reading would be presented on stage.
In the sample band 5/6 essay for King Lear the student used previous productions as examples to support his/her reading but used original production elements/ideas to present their actual reading. Just my 2 cents anyway...

sif not 99

ahheemmm doylz, here u go tellin ppl how to get 20/20 givin the impression that u did, and well u were close but not 20 =)

anton my icq is 35767088 and il feel free to chat any time about readings with u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)