Just forget your dream of going to Uni... (1 Viewer)

IceBreaker

HSC
why? why?
i wanted to go to uni, but i screwed up most of my 1st assesment & too much complicated things is going in my life.......just forget it.
In life you always meet resistance on your journey to sucess.....people saying you just cant do it, regardless of your effort. There will always be someone higher than you on the ladder of sucess, this is a true reality of the world filled with a competitive society.

Does UNI determines how succesful you are later in life? i dont really know....it is a struggle to obtain a good UAI doing low subjects while on the other hand someone does 4U Maths & science.....

This sucks. all my friends are doing all these advanced maths & science,eco etc and are determined to go to uni, i feel i cannot keep up to their standard

Too much expetectation from family & friends. the common question - 'are you going to uni?' or ' what course you want to do' responds with a quiet ' i don't know..'....whereas friends are determined to do MED, commerce etc....further more all my cousins at least one of them is at uni. my family the youngest in the generation, my bro didnt want to do it so now they all looking to me bringing my faimly honour.....my parents always comments on how my cousins ' got into uni' and i satisfy their efforts for spoiling me with everthying i want as a child..etc..i dont know it might be an asian thing...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If you really want to go to uni, don't give up. No matter how bad you think things are. Even if you do these low scaling subjects there are numerous ways of getting into uni.

You can just accept and enrol in a similar course at the uni and transfer internally. Eg: at uws if you get over a credit average, you can transfer internally and your guaranteed a spot in your desired course.
Or you can go to TAFE and get a diploma in a course that you want to do at uni, of which you can also gain academic credit (which means you don't have to do certain subjects at uni cause you've already done them). But check if the uni you want to go to accepts TAFE transfers.

Just do some research on otherways of getting into uni, if you feel that you can't get a high enough uai to get into the course you want.

Don't give up on what you want to do :) And do what YOU want to do, not what you feel that your parents and family want you to do.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i failed my final bio assesment b4 the trials last yr. i was so so so upset n scared bout the hsc.
but then i totally whipped the entire class by about 10% to the next person in the trial and it bumped me all the way up 2 a ranking of 2nd place. hang in there. i still got band 5 4 bio in the end

Trev

stix
HSC
I've probably screwed up a few of my assessments now, not screwed them up but not performing to my expectation for the UAI I would like. But that's my fault, partly. First few assessments I was very lazy and put no work in, this term, I had the intention to try, but alot of family shit has happened recently and it has totally unmotivated me once again. Now, I don't particularly care if I get into the course I would really like to, i'll just settle for second best. :rolleyes:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hahaha

i ALWAYS got under the halfway mark for english extension 2 in my assessments, but I got an E4 (eq. Band 6).

Subjects don't mean to much, as long as you do good at them, and it usually helps when you enjoy them. Even if you do arty farty subjects, it's possible to get even 99. True story.

I reckon that the hsc doesn't determine or define you or your success.

It's good that you realise that, but before long, you'll try and hide behind it.

So now that you're aware of the mental cage the hsc has created for you, maybe you should try and break through it, no matter how shitty you think you're doing.
:)

Last edited:

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
its a case of doing what you feel is right, to furfill your own expectations because at the end of the day it is you that has to live that life and no one else. Everything happens for a reason and it is important to keep in mind that success is what you define it to be.

Uni like the HSC is not the be all and end all to life. If what you want to do in life is truly what you want to do chances are that it'll all fall into place and happen like it's meant to be.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i already realise that i will probalynot get my aim of getting over 90 as a uai. though, that would just be me. i feel unmotivated.

line_backer

HSC
IceBreaker, ur a classic story of someone collapsing under the pressure of the burden of expectation that is associated with the HSC. Advice: just try ur best, thats the only thing u can do ATM.

ur_inner_child said:
hahaha

So now that you're aware of the mental cage the hsc has created for you, maybe you should try and break through it, no matter how shitty you think you're doing.
I think that this is a bad approach, rather you should use ur shit marks as motivation to try harder.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i never thought that laurie would be mentioned again?! :p such a fool i was to think such a thing.

hey did you realise that once he got that 100 he came on bos. but then after about a few weeks he stopped coming online. do you think he stopped boasting of his brillio uai? :D

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
well my 1st assessments werent too bad overall
my shocker was maths 48%
and my 2nd maths assessment was last thurs i find that out on tues wat i got
legal i got 20/20 1st
business i got 32.5/40- 10th in the grade
re 19/20-8th in the grade
IPT- forget what but 2nd in the class
adv english was crap- less than 1/2 way out of all ppl

those were 1st assessments
1/2 yearlies r gonna b totally diff
they will determine alot
assessments r easier than exams
thats wat im worried bout

i really wanna go 2 uni
i waste too much time, dont study, get distracted very easily
i havent even started studyin 4 my 1/2 yearlies which r on in 2 weeks! :(
sigh

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
dont' worry joe, i start in 2 weeks as well. but i'm quite confident that i will absolutely knuckle down within a week of half yearlys, or maybe at the start of this week, ie. monday :p well thats what i'm hoping would happen.

i can't study normally. i get distracted easily. but i prefer to cram, where there is a thought of doing well ina short amount of time. then i know that i don't have that long in suffering the priviledges of life, that is being with friends going out and anything else that might strike my fancy.

IceBreaker

HSC
yea but then later you have to recram for the trials

im like joe too get to distracted. anybody got parents+friends expectation to live up to?

thanks for the help people,im just losing my mind!

fakingtheday

HSC
i'm not going to give you philosophical bullshit, although i normally would, just do your best. Look at my subjects, one (+) scaler and you'd nearly write me off completely, but just do your best, all you can do and ... wait getting philosophical there.

You will be fine, go to uni if you want, make sure you stress out, otherwise you aren;t ready.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
i already realise that i will probalynot get my aim of getting over 90 as a uai. though, that would just be me. i feel unmotivated.
ditto...i am so bludgey...and at the moment not doing so well in english...and thats the most importrant subject

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
don't worry melsc, i'm in the same situation as you. i really want to do law, but i am so afraid of not getting in, that i am settling with something much lower to my standard. though, i am half bludging. i just need some sort of motivation.

and cramming could be a form of motivation for me. it because in a short spacee of time, i have to concentrate as opposed to the whole year.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
i just need some sort of motivation.
I remember when I did the HSC I was struggling for motivation at this stage of the year. A lot of people probably are. Its kinda the time just before trials where you feel like your exhausted etc. But once you get your trial marks back, you kinda gain a bit more motivation (especially with some of the results I got).

Maybe your motivation should focus upon what you want to do. You don't want to settle for second best course at uni. You want to do law, so study effectively, and law could be your motivation :D

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it just seems so impossible. i look at the uai's, they're like from the mid 90s to the 99's. that really looks depressing. that is what halts my motivation.

IceBreaker

HSC
does doing law just ends up being a lawyer for a person? or its more than that?
i hate lawyers anyways

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Nothing is impossible (dispite what everyone says). As long as you try your best you will succeed. Why don't you use the UAI cutoffs to your advantage - if you look at them saying its too difficult, ofcourse it will be. But tell yourself, its achievable, you can make the cutoff, you just need to work harder.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it adds extra stress on what i'm trying to achoeve, though i'll try it as motivation to do well in my half yearlys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)