Jobs and Salaries (1 Viewer)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
We all compare different jobs working out which occupation pays the most and everything associated with working for big companies for big money but what are the realistic expectations of all of you people once you graduate and make your way out into the work force. Just to keep some order in the thread, post what you realistically expect to be doing as a job and the realistic money you would be earning, because not everyone can become the Managing Director of an Investment bank on the first day or become a foreign diplomat during the first week.

I'm most likely to end up working for a federal government department, most likely one of these:
Department for Industry, Tourism and Resources
Department for Environment and Heritage
Department for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Productivity Commission

earning roughly between 38-39k for the first year.

What about you? Remember this isn't a dream job thread but a realistic view of where you'll be starting on the job ladder.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Private consultant or a government employee within the environmental management or social justice field... $27k to $38k seems to be the range. I would be seeking experience and connections rather than financial gain for some time (if I do not take off overseas once I get the degree/s, that is).

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
junior architect- 32k
theatre designer- less than that probably.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
occupational therapist, on rouglhy 37-38k for the first year, with a pay rise every year for seven years, then it depends on what grade i get to (ie, how many people im in charge of) after that as to how much i earn.

santaslayer

HSC
Legal Practicioner?

1) Starting salary: 38-40K (although it says something like 47K in the UoW guide, I have my doubts :p)

2) Work for 5-8 years and then move on to practice on the the Bar?

3) Would like to do Corporate or Criminal Law :uhhuh:

4) Be rich because you are getting people off murder, trafficking and other criminal activities. :p

(OK the last point is more suited to a "dreams thread" :D)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Depends on what I end up graduating in.

If it's medicine, then I'll obviously be starting off around $35,000 to $50,000.

If it's nutrition, then around $40,000 to $50,000

If it's lecturing then around $30,000 to $40,000

Or maybe something computerish, and that will then totally vary.

Ribbon

I'll follow santaslayer... 38 - 40k

I want to at least earn 80k a year before I die :p

alman

Sometimes i feel that the whole money thing is totally irrelevant but the food and bills do have to be paid.

I'll probably want to be starting off as an Equities Analyst - probably around $40K-ish

The law degree probably wont be used much until i get into the special situations/mergers and acquisitions type of thing.

As has been noted by a few people, they'd rather pay for the job they're in at the moment (look at all the entrepreneurs)..Also, its not the amount of money that you earn per year, its how you use that money (those coffees every day dont help, either ;) )

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'll probably be a cadet/junior journalist, and earn about $30000 first year out I think, with that increasing.... average journo salary is about $47000

Or I might decide to work in a media department of a company or something like that... dunno yet

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
pharmacy graduate (pre reg) 28-70k depending on hours and employer
registered pharmacist (1 year after grad) 54-110k depending on location, hours and people im in charge of.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
newly graduated vets ear approx $36,000 first year out, increasing with experience
what are the frickin teachers whinging about with their $46,000 starting salary and 10 weeks holidays a year. GET BACK TO WORK YOU DICKHEADS!!!!!!

note that by the time i graduate i will have spent 6 hard years at uni studying really hard stuff, compared to teachers who will have spent 4 years, with only like 20 hours a week.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Don't be dissing teachers, they go through a lot more than you realise.... do you know how much of a drain it can be on a person to teach a solid day of classes comprised of students who can honestly be classified under 'utter little shits', having to have a lunch break while watching a playground of kids run around, stop fights and enforce the school rules to kids who don't seem to understand the word respect in any sense or form, before finishing off with helping HSC students in the afternoon before coming home and marking homework or assignments for the 2 english classes they teach. Some days they begin at 7am and don't end up finishing school-work related activities until 9-10pm at night. And I haven't even started on the need for teachers to use their own time to prepare class activities and teaching aids... teaching isn't just a 8-3 job where they go home and forget about everything they did that day, a quality which many jobs have the benefit of having.

They earn their money and if the life was so cruisy, wouldn't everyone be doing it... no, because it's a hard job, with limited job promotion prospects and there's a lot of people not cut out for it.... so don't be jumping on that 'teachers are slackers' bandwagon, because you don't realise how much work they do until you witness it first hand. Especially first and second year teachers where they have to develop all their teaching programs and the like for all their classes because they start from scratch and the resources they can scrounge off other teachers while other jobs walk into a role in which they immediately start.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm realistically,

Graduate accountant on rotation (tax, audit, legal, financial)
$30-40k depending where I end up

or

back on youth allowance doing Graduate Law

study budd[Y]

Reformist Nerd
HSC
I will most likely end up working as a fully registered physiotherapist in some hospital in my 1st year out of uni. I'd be expecting to earn around 37-40K

But, if all goes well, i might end up in a private practice physio clinic, working for some hot shot physio boss...then in this case i'd be expecting 45K (i saw an add in d paper for this position d other day)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
Don't be dissing teachers, they go through a lot more than you realise.... do you know how much of a drain it can be on a person to teach a solid day of classes comprised of students who can honestly be classified under 'utter little shits', having to have a lunch break while watching a playground of kids run around, stop fights and enforce the school rules to kids who don't seem to understand the word respect in any sense or form, before finishing off with helping HSC students in the afternoon before coming home and marking homework or assignments for the 2 english classes they teach. Some days they begin at 7am and don't end up finishing school-work related activities until 9-10pm at night. And I haven't even started on the need for teachers to use their own time to prepare class activities and teaching aids... teaching isn't just a 8-3 job where they go home and forget about everything they did that day, a quality which many jobs have the benefit of having.

They earn their money and if the life was so cruisy, wouldn't everyone be doing it... no, because it's a hard job, with limited job promotion prospects and there's a lot of people not cut out for it.... so don't be jumping on that 'teachers are slackers' bandwagon, because you don't realise how much work they do until you witness it first hand. Especially first and second year teachers where they have to develop all their teaching programs and the like for all their classes because they start from scratch and the resources they can scrounge off other teachers while other jobs walk into a role in which they immediately start.
:uhhuh:From someone who actually shares a flat with a teacher :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)