• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Jobs and Salaries (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Originally posted by Ribbon
I'll follow santaslayer... 38 - 40k

I want to at least earn 80k a year before I die :p
You'll probably get that anyway from inflation alone. :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by laney
civil engineers get around $66k starting sallary, which is very sweet for me :D
I'm sorry, my friends brother has a civil engineering degree and works at woolworths.... I think you're employment prospect bubble is taking a beating dear friend. :D

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
I'm sorry, my friends brother has a civil engineering degree and works at woolworths.... I think you're employment prospect bubble is taking a beating dear friend. :D
Yeah, good luck trying to find a civil engineering job starting off at that sort of money. Its not impossible, although its one of those "special stories" you hear about to get people interested. I certainly have heard the story of the one student who completed their degree with high distinction averages and started in a job with $68 000. So its not impossible, just very difficult.

Raiks, how much experience does your friends brother have in the field, work experience wise, and how were their marks? If they keep looking to gain experience, local councils are good to approach, im sure that they should be able to get a foot in the door, so to speak. It seems there's going to be a demand for civil engineers in the coming years, so if they can get the experience now, it would be an advantage.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It's hard to ge experience when people aren't willing to take you on board... it's a catch 22. He wasn't anything outstanding, just your average credit average graduate.... you need experience to get the job but without the job you don't get the experience.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah thats the case with engineering and building/construction jobs, its the old case of "its not what you know, its who you know". Experience doesnt necessarily have to mean, paid work. Has he approached local council about some work experience, becuase if he has, I find it hard to believe that they could have turned him away. Work experience is required in most, if not all building construction and engineering degrees now, so im wondering, where did he get experience from when he was completing his degree?

I will eat my hat if this guy has exhausted all possible chances of securing un-paid work experience with either a small engineering firm, or local council. You dont get apples unless you shake the tree.

Last edited:

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
how much does WAM / university medal / records matter in your starting salary.. do yous think? Im curious as to what people say about this..

some say, getting 80+ WAM will mean employers basically looking to hire you. What about 90+? 95+? 100??!?

</fantasising>

laney

HSC
Originally posted by redslert
sorry to pop your bubble but try find a job when you graduate, then you will realise the truth
i have 2 very close friends who have a civil degree from unsw, they are both very talented, but yet can't seem to find a descend job
eh, i know finding a job is hard. someone was saying it's about 'who' you know and that's very true and it's really unfair, but that's life i guess...

hey, the degree i'm doing is civil eng/mining eng and there's no way i won't get a job as soon as i get out, particularly in the mining field. they pay about the same amount starting sallary. :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
mining engineering from what the guides say, is a nice little earner....

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
how much does WAM / university medal / records matter in your starting salary.. do yous think? Im curious as to what people say about this..

some say, getting 80+ WAM will mean employers basically looking to hire you. What about 90+? 95+? 100??!?

</fantasising>
The prospect of gaining employment is probably only concerning at the two ends of the spectrum. If you are a student with extremely low marks, your employment probability is near zero. On the other hand, if you are a medal winner, or a high WAM acheiver, I would believe that you would be put into the circumstance whereby jobs would be looking for you, rather than the opposite situation where you would need to seek a job yourself. :D Job salaries would be very 'generous' in comparison to other graduates

This happened to three family friends I know of. :uhhuh:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
The prospect of gaining employment is probably only concerning at the two ends of the spectrum. If you are a student with extremely low marks, your employment probability is near zero. On the other hand, if you are a medal winner, or a high WAM acheiver, I would believe that you would be put into the circumstance whereby jobs would be looking for you, rather than the opposite situation where you would need to seek a job yourself. :D Job salaries would be very 'generous' in comparison to other graduates

This happened to three family friends I know of. :uhhuh:
So it's actually worth getting good marks in uni? :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, apparently... a friend topped the merit list for USYD and had MQ Bank and Deutsche Bank outbidding each other for his services...

If marks weren't relevent, everything would be P/F. But I wouldn't say it's overly important.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Originally posted by enak
So it's actually worth getting good marks in uni? :p
or you could just have rich, well connected parents... :D

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
OMG...Do employers actually ask the uni for students' WAM? lol

Generator

HSC
N/A
They would in all likelihood just look at your transcript... There would be no need to provide your WAM when the employer could easily work it out for themselves.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Raiks
Yeah, apparently... a friend topped the merit list for USYD and had MQ Bank and Deutsche Bank outbidding each other for his services...

If marks weren't relevent, everything would be P/F. But I wouldn't say it's overly important.
Considering there won't be many of those graduating from each uni, suppose you graduated in the top 20% of your candidature, that SHOULD guarantee you a solid offer from a company? I hope :D
Originally posted by jay2000
or you could just have rich, well connected parents... :D
That could also help :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
They would in all likelihood just look at your transcript... There would be no need to provide your WAM when the employer could easily work it out for themselves.
Sorry, I'm a first yearer...what's a transcript? Do I have one?? :confused:

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's just an official statement outlining your results throughout your degree. Just picture your HSC summary sheet.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
It's just an official statement outlining your results throughout your degree. Just picture your HSC summary sheet.
Does your uni send this to you via mail after two semesters?

Generator

HSC
N/A
(At USyd) You are given a copy or two for free when you graduate. After (or before) that you have to pay.
You should get a copy of your results for each semester sent out after the exam period, though (either in an email or via the standard postal service).

Given the number of posts in the UNSW forum I am sure that someone else should have a proper answer for you. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)