Jamie Oliver's Eat to Save Your Life (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Aplus said:
There was nothing special about the dissection of the 25 stone corpse, and by the end of the show, there was nothing that I didn't know that I learnt.
I'll admit, it wasn't Gunther von Hagens's best autopsy, how often do you see a post-mortem dissection of a 160 kilo man? Just because you learnt something once, doesn't mean you can't learn it again either.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i watched it and i reckon some of the 'experiments' were abit pretentious and pointless. i mean filling that bathtub with oil while a woman sits in it? wtf is the point of that?

bawd

HSC
angmor said:
i watched it and i reckon some of the 'experiments' were abit pretentious and pointless. i mean filling that bathtub with oil while a woman sits in it? wtf is the point of that?
He just wanted to show her how much oil she was consuming by having the extra snacks or something. And he probably wanted to see a woman covered in oil. ;)

He purposely chose eighteen really ignorant people. And remember, this show supposedly shocked the UK. I guess Australia really is the smart country.

forkyspoony18

HSC
bawd said:
He just wanted to show her how much oil she was consuming by having the extra snacks or something. And he probably wanted to see a woman covered in oil. ;)

He purposely chose eighteen really ignorant people. And remember, this show supposedly shocked the UK. I guess Australia really is the smart country.
lol and we are now the most obese nation in the world. Yeah, we must be smart...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
"The show that shocked the UK." What a lie that was by channel 10 lol.

bawd

HSC
Aplus said:
"The show that shocked the UK." What a lie that was by channel 10 lol.
Obviously to hype it up. Ten's been on a losing streak after being forced to axe Big Brother. Feigning mendacity about a show is an example of one such technique. Just like how most channels show you the best part of a certain TV show or movie to get you to keep following the episodes, and when you do watch it, you're disappointed because you've already seen the best bit.

forkyspoony18 said:
lol and we are now the most obese nation in the world. Yeah, we must be smart...
Umm ... No. Nauru is the world's fattest country; 94.5% of the adult population (15+) is overweight. Australia is 21st on the list.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
Obviously to hype it up. Ten's been on a losing streak after being forced to axe Big Brother. Feigning mendacity about a show is an example of one such technique. Just like how most channels show you the best part of a certain TV show or movie to get you to keep following the episodes, and when you do watch it, you're disappointed because you've already seen the best bit.

Umm ... No. Nauru is the world's fattest country; 94.5% of the adult population (15+) is overweight. Australia is 21st on the list.
I don't think it is 94.5%. I remember reading that article from the 2008 Guiness Book. It's more like 80%.

I am glad that Australia is only 21st.

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
I don't think it is 94.5%. I remember reading that article from the 2008 Guiness Book. It's more like 80%.

I am glad that Australia is only 21st.
As of 2007, it is 94.5%.
Source? Forbes Magazine.

I keep finding websites that state Australia is the fattest country though, so I'm thoroughly confused. Perhaps they use an alternate methodology to measure fatness? Not surprising considering the national foods of Australia are meat pies, sausage rolls, bacon and eggs and VB.

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
There was nothing special about the dissection of the 25 stone corpse, and by the end of the show, there was nothing that I didn't know that I learnt.
Ughhh.. I was so moved by that corpse! It was absolutely revolting. He had leaves of fat spilling out .. ughhh.

bawd

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Ughhh.. I was so moved by that corpse! It was absolutely revolting. He had leaves of fat spilling out .. ughhh.
Gunther von Hagens has had better autopsies; in one he skinned the body and tugged at certain larger muscles to show how the other smaller muscles moved. He also completely dissected the nerve fiber from the CNS right down to the nerve ending in the toe and demonstrated how long it was. :)

I don't know where you'll find them though, but I think you can get DVDs from some place.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
bawd said:
Gunther von Hagens has had better autopsies; in one he skinned the body and tugged at certain larger muscles to show how the other smaller muscles moved. He also completely dissected the nerve fiber from the CNS right down to the nerve ending in the toe and demonstrated how long it was. :)

I don't know where you'll find them though, but I think you can get DVDs from some place.
OMG!! That's horrible! I think I might've been walking past one of my siblings one day when they were watching tv, and I saw a guy (it could've been Gunther von Hagens) saw open a dead woman's head and her skull and started to wobble her brain. And you could see it wobble in it's jelly like state ... :eek:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I thought it was good viewing, but then I love food/lifestyle type shows.

Made me worried about hidden fat, though. Maybe I'm secretly fat on the inside...

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Watched most of it. Pretty much everything is common sense, however seeing the corpse amongst other examples provided a pretty good illustration of what they were talking about.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah there was lots of seemly common sense stuff, but there was some new info.

Like most of those people were obese. Not just slightly overweight. OBESE. I had no idea that obesity looked like that, you know.

It's scary to think that we've accepted overweight as the norm.

quik.

HSC
scarybunny said:
Yeah there was lots of seemly common sense stuff, but there was some new info.

Like most of those people were obese. Not just slightly overweight. OBESE. I had no idea that obesity looked like that, you know.

It's scary to think that we've accepted overweight as the norm.
That is the only worthwhile thing that was on the whole program, to be honest.

Most people simply equate skinny to being lean / healthy, and it's not the case. Those skinny people who eat like shit, don't exercise and go on about their fast metabolism? Probably have a lot of internal fat, most have laughable amounts of muscle tissue. I see canteen lady arms in their future.

The show wasn't executed nearly as well as it could have been, and by next week everyone will have forgotten about it.

jazzbaby

HSC
that was sooooo gross but i still dont think it will affect some people. They'll be like oh i will be a healthy eater and that will last for about a week and then b4 you know it they are back to their old ways again.

but still that was a really good show.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It was perhaps more of a wakeup call for the skinny people than anything.

And people wonder why I slog it out at the gym.

bawd

HSC
quik. said:
Most people simply equate skinny to being lean / healthy, and it's not the case. Those skinny people who eat like shit, don't exercise and go on about their fast metabolism? Probably have a lot of internal fat, most have laughable amounts of muscle tissue. I see canteen lady arms in their future.
QFT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)