Jaguar reveals ‘virtual windscreen’ (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if any of you have seen this but Jaguar is currently developing a virtual windscreen concept to take HUDs to a whole new level. Looks pretty impressive but reminds me of a video game (NFS Most Wanted meets Gran Turismo).

Jaguar is developing a ‘virtual windscreen concept'. In short, it is an excellent thing that allows you to pretend you are actually in Gran Turismo.

Sure, Jaguar highlights the practical, road-going aspects of this ‘virtual windscreen': high quality virtual imagery displaying hazard, speed and navigation icons onto the screen so you never have to take your eyes off the road.

But, "for performance drivers" on a race circuit, the benefits include virtual racing lines and brake guidance projected onto the windscreen, ‘ghost car' racing - where your previous lap is ‘ghosted' so you can better your times - and virtual cones for driver training

"Showing virtual images that allow the driver to accurately judge speed and distance will enable better decision-making and offer real benefits for everyday driving on the road or the track," explains Dr Wolfgang Epple, research and technology director at Jaguar.

Not only is Jag working on a videogame windscreen, but also a gesture control system so the driver need never again reach for a pesky button. It uses something called ‘e-field' sensing, based on ‘capacitive discharge touch screens'; it can detect the proximity of a user's hand up to around 15cm (a smartphone recognizes a user's finger from 5mm away), meaning it can track gestures. Just be careful what you gesture.

"Gesture control has become an accepted form of controlling anything from TV sets to games consoles," explains Dr Epple. "The system is currently being tested on a number of features including sunblinds, rear wipers and sat nav maps. It has the potential to be on sale within the next few years."

Then there's the tech that will soon replace rear view and external mirrors with virtual displays and cameras using a 3D instrument cluster for better depth perception.

Sounds exciting, no? Just remember though, the virtual windscreen isn't actually a videogame, and so crashing into a barrier and using other cars to slow yourself down on a track isn't advisable.

Link: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jaguar-virtual-windscreen-concept-2014-07-11

Attachments

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Reminds me of the add Will.I.Am was in for the voice

Either way it's amazing to think that they're managing to integrate the highest calibre of technology wherever they can

I want one now :3

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I like the idea. Would actually venture into some more innovative auto braking concepts and plus I'd be excited to get a chance to work on something like that as an EE possibly one day.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
what if it got distracting to the driver?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The question is whether this will ever be used in the mainstream or if it'll be really reserved for performance oriented drivers, or track use. I see it coming in at the same time as autonomous driving but challenge whether the information overload will actually just make things more dangerous.

I actually got into a discussion with someone on this on FB when I saw this article- having driven a car with projected HUD, they're cool but I don't know if they could pull off doing the whole windscreen like this and obstructing real vision. I liked having my speedo/tacho and GPS projected up so I didn't have to lower my head so much to see the instructions, but having full information overload might get a bit annoying. I could see the uses in some applications whether it be motorsport or police (Robocar anyone?).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
what if it got distracting to the driver?
If too mic information information got displayed, it would be distracting ~ maybe the user has the option of disable some information?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Very innovative, i like it.

I don't see it being used by the mass but in some instances i believe it could be useful like driver training lessons.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I live my life one slide at a time, nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not the store, not the team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less.... I'm free
You just had to :p

Nah lets just say I saw some cray stuff go on which you would have laughed your head off as much as I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)