is ur atar enough for usyd merit scholarship? (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You get that 6k, and use it for whatever purpose you want.

akatsukisan

HSC
so they gave out first round offers already/.?

congrats!
Thanks!

and also, my mark is not near 99.8 :(
sigh!
That doesn't mean you still don't have a chance. Just hang in there. Also USYD offers many other scholarships and prizes throughout the academic year to undergrads (you have to work for them though).

And no the money doesn't go towards HECs - what you do with the money is up to you, though many people use it to pay off HECs or purchase uni books etc.

pearling

HSC
N/A
I got shortlisted for Facultyof Eco/Business merit/entry scholarship and today I got a package offering me a "Faculty of Eco/Bus scholarship with distinction for all round excellence" worth $10 000 pa!! I was so stoked since I was praying for the 6k merit one!! From previous posts, people with 99.7-.8 ATARs got entry ones and I dont know why I was offered a different one (my ATAR = 99.8) but I'm soo happy! Has anyone hear dof this or is it new this year, it says a max of 10 such scholarships is offered each year. Also a condition is that I've to maintian a distinction average - do merit ones have this condition too? Sorry for long post!

Last edited:

tjo176

HSC
It's hard not to feel frusturated when people mid 98's get an Art Offer where I know people who get 99+ with strong personal statements and don't.
Have the offers pretty much stopped now?

Jcc Lin

HSC
I got shortlisted for Facultyof Eco/Business merit/entry scholarship and today I got a package offering me a "Faculty of Eco/Bus scholarship with distinction for all round excellence" worth $10 000 pa!! I was so stoked since I was praying for the 6k merit one!! From previous posts, people with 99.7-.8 ATARs got entry ones and I dont know why I was offered a different one (my ATAR = 99.8) but I'm soo happy! Has anyone hear dof this or is it new this year, it says a max of 10 such scholarships is offered each year. Also a condition is that I've to maintian a distinction average - do merit ones have this condition too? Sorry for long post!
wow!congrats!$10 000!! i know ppl get one when they are over 99.9.but what scholarship is that?

i guess theyve given out the first round offer already, - -
no hope for me.><

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's hard not to feel frusturated when people mid 98's get an Art Offer where I know people who get 99+ with strong personal statements and don't.
Have the offers pretty much stopped now?
So what if someone 'only' got mid 98s? The person I know was heavily involved in all aspects of school life - played State-level sport, was involved in State-level SRC etc etc.

You do realise that there's more to life than a number and the ability to bullshit, right?

tjo176

HSC
I never said 'only mid 98's' as if that was a bad thing, your the one elevating it. I just said it was fusturating for people who got great marks and also had the personal statements to back it up, including achievements like the one you mentioned.

Edit...

I'm not trying to label people as undesrving, I'm simply highlighting that a lot of deserving and needy people who've applied for Arts have got nothing yet and I feel frusturated for them.

Did you get an offer aerath?

Last edited:

micuzzo

HSC
wat does a merit scholarship give u, other than the money... i got 1 but im prob gonna go to uts coop for mech eng? [not including $$ wat is better coop at uts for merit at usyd]

just in case ne1 interested as i see u ppl are talking bout atars.. i got 95.85 n got merit so yer

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
abbreviation/tiredness/i dont care its the net...

can u please just answer the question...
Do you want to be forced into slave labour for at least 24 weeks per year or take (a fairly substantial sum of) free money with the freedom to do summer internships at your own discretion?

micuzzo

HSC
Y is every1 reading more into the question... it was NOT a criticism.. I honestly dont know what the scholarship gives you [other than the money]... I applied for it but didnt read too much into the details... To make it clearer... Does a merit scholarship give you interships, would you have some kind of sponsor, do you get some kind of leadership training...? et cetera

@Aerath: Wouldnt mind a car... but thats not what i meant...

superdan7

HSC
Why are people getting early offers for university when main round offers haven't even been released?

Plus, have they finished releasing the USYD scholarship's for the Art's faculty?

This is fustrating :( :( :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Plus, have they finished releasing the USYD scholarship's for the Art's faculty?

This is fustrating :( :( :(
My friend has received a Merit scholarship for Arts. I haven't received any notification at all (but I don't think we do, if we didn't get a first round offer...not until Feb anyway).

Jcc Lin

HSC
My friend has received a Merit scholarship for Arts. I haven't received any notification at all (but I don't think we do, if we didn't get a first round offer...not until Feb anyway).
Ahm, do you mean the first round offer for all courses are officially finished?
:)

pearling

HSC
N/A
On my letter congratulating and offering me the faculty scholarship, it says the uni closedown period is from the close of business day of 18 Dec 09 and reopens on 4 Jan 2010. So if you've not received anything, its highly unlikely that you will get a 1st round offer now because they would have all been mailed/emailed last friday. Don't lose hope since not everyone is going to accept theirs! best of luck.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ahm, do you mean the first round offer for all courses are officially finished?
:)
Yeah, best guess would be that if you haven't received a letter yet, you haven't been offered a first round offer. Unless you moved address or something and mail hasn't found its way to you yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)