Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

WannaBang?

HSC
BigPole said:
You're welcome! :) .

If you choose applied humnaties or humanities as your Key program (like how I chose Psych as mine) you choose one of these subjects to major in (with Psychology however, you don't choose a major), then you choose one to submajor in:
  • Art History and Cinema Studies
  • Asian Studies and International Relations
  • Cultural and Social Analysis
  • English, Text and Writing
  • History, Politics and Philosophy
According to the UWS website:

Art History and Cinema Studies
The Art History and Cinema Studies major is intended to introduce students to the broad tenets of art history and cinema studies. Program units examine aspects of art history and visual culture from the Renaissance to the present day and topics in film history and theory. In particular, units are offered that cover key aspects of European and Australian art and architecture, art theory, photography, Australian and Asian cinema, museum studies, and digital media. Themes and topics within these units include: the development of the avant-garde, aesthetics, modernism and postmodernism in the visual arts, cinema and gender, national cinema, and the creation of art audiences.

Asian Studies and International Relations
This major has been designed to meet the needs of Australian government, business and society to engage the states and peoples of Asia at all levels in pursuit of national interests and as part of the globalisation process. It provides students with the opportunity to study modern and contemporary Asia, the rich and diverse histories, politics, cultures and languages of Asian countries and the international issues affecting Australia's interests and role in the region and in the world at large. The major area has a strong international flavour, with a range of units concerned with the United States, Europe and Australia as well as with Asia itself, and units in international relations. It seeks to produce graduates with a broad, liberal education with the skills to mediate between Australia and the world in general and Asia in particular through political, economic, commercial, cultural, diplomatic and strategic links. Asian language study may be undertaken in conjunction with the major. Employment opportunities may be found in the State and Commonwealth public service, overseas organisations, trade and tourist organisations, business and industry, education and research.
The 40 credit point submajor area in the Humanities may be replaced with a 40 credit point submajor in an Asian language as offered at UWS, or Arabic as offered at UWS. Please note that the Asian and Arabic language units are available only at Bankstown campus.

Cultural and Social Analysis
Cultural and Social Analysis is an interdisciplinary major aimed at developing knowledge, research skills and analytic capacities relevant to understanding and interpreting landscapes of cultural diversity and social difference in our contemporary world, both in terms of the broad contours, as well as specific micro-social environments. A key starting point is the idea that our individual identities are not created by us alone, but are formed within specific cultural, social, material and spatial environments.
This major provides a grounding in contemporary debates and methodologies in cultural studies and social theory, and draws on various disciplines including history, sociology, communications, and linguistics. Topics include globalisation, popular culture (including film and literature), everyday urban life, cultural and social impacts of scientific theories and new technologies, multiculturalism, contemporary spirituality, the body in culture, and theories of feminism, postmodernism and postcolonialism.
Study in this area is relevant for work involving commentary and analysis of contemporary social issues and cultural practices (e.g. journalism, teaching, activism) and fields concerned with designing, delivering and evaluating cultural and artistic productions, and education, communication, welfare or health services, in culturally diverse communities.

English, Text and Writing
The English, Text and Writing major invites students to explore contemporary approaches to language, literary study and writing, including literary criticism and theory, linguistic analysis, genre and textual study, and creative writing. English, Text and Writing focuses on the imaginative workings of language, and students can study a wide selection of modern and classic literature, as well as the relationships between written texts and other media such as film, television, performance, the visual arts and information technology. Students also have the opportunity to produce their own creative writing and to edit and publish their work. Career prospects include publishing, editing, teaching, writing, arts administration and advertising.
The 40 credit point submajor area in the Humanities may be replaced with a 40 credit point submajor in English Linguistics. Please note that the English Linguistics units are available only at Bankstown campus.

History, Politics and Philosophy
Since the revival of humanist studies in Renaissance Europe in the fifteenth century, universities have placed History, Politics and Philosophy at the heart of studies in the Humanities. These studies focus upon humankind as the central object of study. Their aim is to better understand ourselves and others. It has been said that every society is the sum of its past. History is the study of humankind in its past. This program offers opportunities to study Australian, European and Asian History. Politics is the study of how societies organise to resolve key issues of governance, such as sovereignty, power, opportunity, property, civic freedom and social justice. Philosophy is the study of the general principles and purposes underlying human action. All the units in this Key Program also offer opportunities for the development of the key skills essential to study in the humanities, the skills of information gathering, methodical research, critical evaluation, and effective communication.
Nah, humanities isn't really my thing. I was just wondering, do you know anything about the 5 point scheme UWS run that gives 5 extra UAI points to those people living is the Western suburbs of Sydney? Is it automatic? (ie. do you recieve the points off the bat granted you live in the western areas?)

Thanks!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
http://future.uws.edu.au/applynow/hsc_ug/pathways/triple_advantage said:
]Advantage 1 You get UAI bonus points
UWS Regional Bonus Scheme (RBS)
If you currently live or study in the Greater Western Sydney region and you are eligible for a UAI, you will get an automatic 5 point bonus added to your UAI when you apply via UAC.
To be eligible you must:
• Be sitting the NSW HSC or IB in 2007 and qualify for a UAI or IB Diploma.
• Achieve a UAI (or equivalent) of 60 or above.
• Live in OR attend a high school in the Greater Western Sydney region.

The RBS is applicable to all UWS courses except those with additional selection criteria.
UWS Subject Bonus Scheme
Bonus points may also be awarded on the basis of outstanding performance in a nominated range of HSC or IB subjects, within a specified band.

To be eligible you must meet the criteria of the RBS as well as complete subject/s in the NSW HSC or the IB relevant to the UWS course/s listed in your preferences.

These extra points can open up a range of course options and opportunities that might not otherwise be available to you. They also strengthen your chances of getting into the course you want first up.

Please note that the maximum bonus than any one applicant can receive is 10 points. This includes bonuses for Educational Access Scheme (EAS), Regional Bonus Scheme (RBS) and Subject Bonus Scheme. No separate application is required.

Advantage 2 You get an early offer of entry

After your HSC trials in August, and on the basis of a predicted UAI from your high school principal, we'll give you a conditional Early Offer of Entry before you get your UAI results. You should apply through the UAC in the normal way and make sure that you list your preferred UWS course or courses in your top three preferences.

However, you are expected to do your best in the exams, so this generous offer is subject to your final UAI matching or exceeding the previous years UAI cut off. This way you actually know what the cut off is in advance, and what you need to do to get it. And remember, you also have the 5 bonus points added to your UAI.

The Early Offer is designed to take the stress out of whether or not you'll get an offer. It also gives you the added reassurance of knowing what UAI level you have to hit, well ahead of getting your final results, which is a great advantage in an environment where the UAI cut-offs vary each year.
Advantage 3 You qualify for a scholarship
If you make UWS your first preference and you successfully enrol in the course of your choice, you will automatically be considered for a SmartStart scholarship worth $2,000.These scholarships are specifically designed to take the some of the pain and strain out of going to university by providing financial support for things like books and travel.

As well as being able to afford the essentials a little more easily, it also means that you don’t have to work as much outside of class time to support yourself and are able to spend more time on your study.
ROFL this is why uws is continually discredited.

and like i have said earlier, you dont just get 5 uai points just like that. you have to be in the catchment area.

fuck man, the third advantage....when do uws offer a new car as the scholarship for students to actually attend the uni? if thats the case, i want to be on the bandwagon.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
I know plenty of people (including myself) who have the chance and marks to transfer out of UWS to another Uni, but instead choose to stay. My reason is that UWS offers me a major that the other Uni's don't have and also it's close -takes me 30 minutes to get to. Travelling becomes a pain in the arse after a few months. Any travelling over an hour gets fustrating and cuts back on precious studying/sleeping time.

Also a degree is a degree. In 5 years time, employers don't care about Uni or grades, it's all based on experience. So the main concern would be to graduate ASAP, get the experience and climb the corporate ladder. And if you're good at what you do then all your hard work would pay off.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
id have to agree with you on that to a certain extent. but im sorry, the fact is that the scheme-well isnt the best idea. i remember when i finished high school, uws was somewhat credible. however after reading this scheme, im not so sure anymore.

the previous post was not really meant to pay out the students who attend uws but was aimed at the fact that the entrance scheme seems rediculous. and i do a agree that if there is a uni which is close and the major problem you have is travel issues, then by all means go to it. however, if you really want to attend a prestigious (not sure about the spelling) uni, then go to one.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
handy1234 said:
i'm still in year 12, but i went there for footy, and wasn't impressed. it looks so shit.
it looked small and like everyone was spread out.
i took it off my list of possible uni's after the first day of games lol.
Probably not the best way to judge a uni...

Conspirocy

HSC
Much of this thread seems to be law dominated. In the end when picking a course you should go to the uni with the best reputation in it's field. For whatever reason UWS doesn't have the title of a top university in NSW in a lot of fields.

Using law as an example, from what I understand there is even a large gap, apparent or made up, between UTS and Mac and the top two of UNSW and USYD.

The way I see it is if you have the opportunity to go to the top perceived uni's then you really have no incentive to deviate from them and go to a 'lesser uni'. The exception to this would be scholarships etc, but then again they are an incentive.

Again with the law example, there are graduate programs and you can transfer. This applies for a lot of courses. There are alternative paths. The people who study law at uws are getting a UAI of around mid to low 90s. Perhaps a lot of them would be better off studying something else at another uni, and then transferring into their desired degree or entering a graduate program after competition of their first degree.

monzi

HSC
One of the partners at Mallesons attained his law degree from UWS, don't be so snotty.

I know another girl who attained her economics and finance degree from UWS and now works at Macquarie Bank.

It's not all about where you attained your degree, you need personality and a great job application as well.

What use is a degree from a 'prestigious' university if the person who attained it has no personality, social skills or a poor job application?

monzi

HSC
dodgyv said:
UWS..well depends which subjects your going to do. its full of dum kunts who couldnt get into the top uni's. but later on they study and become smart kunts and transfer. but its a shit hole. some of me mates go there aint the end of the world...
Haha I attend UTS, and there are people I know who go there who should NOT be at university at all. Just because you go to UWS doesn't make you a 'dumb kunt'.

monzi

HSC
WannaBang? said:
When a firm advertises a job they may have available, 100s of people apply. The firm collects all resumes from all applicants and starts the sifting process. As soon as the firm spots that you went to UWS, your resume will be put straight into the circular file (the bin), and the USyd and UNSW graduate's resumes will actually be read. Seems a little unfair huh? It's a dog-eat-dog world i suppose.
Your doing your HSC this year aren't you? I don't think your really qualified to make those assumptions.

Like I said in my previous posts, one of the partners at Mallesons attended UWS. Don't be so snotty, you remind me of the first year law students at Uni.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
monzi said:
One of the partners at Mallesons attained his law degree from UWS, don't be so snotty.

I know another girl who attained her economics and finance degree from UWS and now works at Macquarie Bank.

It's not all about where you attained your degree, you need personality and a great job application as well.

What use is a degree from a 'prestigious' university if the person who attained it has no personality, social skills or a poor job application?
One of the top lawyers at Keddies claimed his law degree was from Usyd, but he was exxxposed and it was from UWS, lol.

smh said:
A time ledger of the Keddies solicitor David Marocchi's work for one client, seen by the Herald, shows that on one day in November 2005, he recorded 22 hours of his time and charged $2175 "to review" a file transferred from a colleague, a further $2610 "to peruse" it, $1740 "to consider" it, $1087.50 for "drafting" and another $1087.50 for further "considering". That day's work appeared to total $9500. Mr Marocchi has denied inflating fees or recording excessive hours.

In Ms Chen's complaint against him for "overservicing and misleading conduct with respect to costs", which was lodged before the former staff were sacked, Mr Marocchi acknowledged that his ledger and "my individual day recording entries contained errors, wrong entries and duplicate entries". He blamed typing mistakes, among other reasons, for his errors.

Mr Marocchi, the vice-president of the Liverpool branch of the Law Society of NSW, was recorded for several years on the Keddies' website as having a law degree from the University of Sydney.

After the Herald asked him about his qualifications, the page dedicated to his expertise was amended to record a degree from the University of Western Sydney.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...e/2008/06/12/1212863836622.html?page=fullpage

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Not at all.
I know people who started at Sydney uni but transfered to UWS because they got sick of the travel. So yeah.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
zdzislaw said:
Not at all.
I know people who started at Sydney uni but transfered to UWS because they got sick of the travel. So yeah.
Travelling is a biatch but I know some lazy people who only live 20 minutes away who've decided to live on campus.

Some of mates spend 5 hours of travelling getting to and from uni each day. Some people who live at Newcastle or down South actually live out of the computer labs for 2-3 days during the week at UWS Bankstown.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
monzi said:
Your doing your HSC this year aren't you? I don't think your really qualified to make those assumptions.

Like I said in my previous posts, one of the partners at Mallesons attended UWS. Don't be so snotty, you remind me of the first year law students at Uni.
I'm far from being snotty. I was merely stating what I have heard about potential employers when it comes to employment and what uni an applicant attained their degree from.

I want to get into UWS for law because I'm more than certain I won't be able to attain the marks required to enter other, so-called "prestigious" usiversities.

Before you shoot your mouth off, just take a second to think about what has been said.

By the way, I'm Wannabang?

HSC
monzi said:

what uni u go to does make a difference if you are going for an elitist job/industry and ultimately as Consp pointed out if you have an opp to go to a better rep uni which has a similar or better quality course for what you want to do then why wouldn't u go for the better repn.

Also the Mallesons point is redundant simply because there always will be exceptions and just because someone got in from "x" university doesn't mean it was easy to get there/possible to mimic by someone else. Not to say someone from UWS can't but it may be more difficult to get into a top firm . As ultimately if 2 candidates had similar experience and similar marks- one went to USYD other from UWS you'd prob find the USYD candidate would get a preference at least to get to the int stage.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Aren't the extension subjects counted as their ownsubjects these days? That's lame. Should be to do with workload.

in answer to the question, the answer is yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)