Is taking three sciences too much? Pointer please (1 Viewer)

saysesame

HSC
Title says it all :) What does it entail? Seeking advice from everyone, and especially those who have had experience with all three sciences (Bio, Chem and Physics)!
Thanks!

kfnmpah

HSC
why do people ask this?
a subject is a subject is a subject. If you like science then just do it, you big stiffy.

I did bio and chem in year 12 and it was fine. Bio is a piece of piss.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
The workload is moderate. It is practically 3 different subjects so the workload of 3 sciences would be the same as a combination of 3 different subjects.
If you enjoy science I would recommend doing them :)

kfnmpah

HSC
The workload is moderate. It is practically 3 different subjects so the workload of 3 sciences would be the same as a combination of 3 different subjects.
If you enjoy science I would recommend doing them :)
you did a really great job at saying exactly what I just said.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I find it pretty good actually, some parts of a topic overlaps with another science so you have a broader and more detailed understanding, which makes it easier to understand. I know that people say the teacher doesn't matter, but find out who's going to teach those subjects because if you don't get along you're better off not taking that subject, unless you really like it or really talented at it.
First hand experience, my bio teacher is a nightmare ---> makes me lose interest in the subject as I tune out in class ---> try even harder to get good marks ---> basically goes downhill.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I do all three at its fine, especially if you like science as has been stated before. However I think you want to choose carefully as the workload is NOT a problem however if you do all sciences insteed of 2 sciences and Economics or Modern History you may regret it. I don't lose sleep over doing all three but sometimes I think oh Eco or MH seems cool.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Friend of mine did three sciences in 2010 HSC.

Ended up with the three Sciences on three consecutive exam days. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed.

ashtheawesome

HSC
Hey I do Bio, Physics and Chem
I don't find it that hard all you have to do is moderate your study between the subjects. Though probably the biggest pain is doing summaries for all the subjects.

animerocker

HSC
If you have good time management skills. Any subject you take will be easy but if you're lazy and have a HUGE tendency to procrastinate then that's where most of the problems start occurring. However, if you like science then choose them. I did 16 units at the beginning of year 12 and I still top the year all thanks to time management.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Coming from a guy that did all 3:
PROS
1.Year 11 - I'd definitely recommend it. The subjects interlink well in some areas. (Chem/phys) (Chem/bio) so it's definitely a bonus to sometimes learn from the other sciences.
2. Similar assessment tasks. Say one of the tasks were speeches. Since the sciences have the same task format, being able to do it 3 times helps you familiarise with the test conditions.
3. Similar questions/skills. Stuff like reliability/validity is handy if you do all 3 sciences since they pretty much require the same thing and gives you better practice.
4. Same structure. Structure of the exams is the same so you can familiarise yourself with the structure.
MAJOR CON
1. The exams for science happen at around the same time (for my school at least). It was impossible to study all 3 when they were spaced so close together and it was ultimately too overwhelming for me so I ended up dropping bio. Sciences have their exams clumped in the same week while the humanities have it clumped in another week. Best to just do 2 or mix it up. This, of course, depends on how your school sets it out.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Remember that in Year 11, you're given some leeway to chop and change the subjects you will end up doing for your HSC.

I'd recommend picking the three sciences and then assessing how you cope along the way.

QuantumIllusion

HSC
Title says it all :) What does it entail? Seeking advice from everyone, and especially those who have had experience with all three sciences (Bio, Chem and Physics)!
Thanks!
Are you gonna do 4 unit maths?
If so, then chem and phys are enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)