Is rote learning really necessary for HSC. (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

As the title states, do you need to have the ability to rote learn to succeed in year 12? Like, applying your knowledge to paper is crucial but from the way I see it - this can't be done without memorising the content first. So yeah, people what are you suggestions as to how to rote learn even you may have crap memory (like me lol). I do 3U English, 3U Maths, Music 1, Legal Studies and Economics.

astroman

HSC
don't rote subjects that require understanding, i.e. maths, physics, chem... rote is helpful but not recommended in subjects particularly humanities such as business

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
3U English: Yes
3U Maths + 2U Maths: No
Music: I think you have a performance for the HSC so Yes.
Legal Studies: Yes
Economics: Must

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
No point in rote learning the sciences and math subjects

The problem with the above is that if you come across a question you have never seen before you're screwed as you would not know how to apply your knowledge to that question.

So gain a solid understanding of all the concepts then start memorising them, so when a question pops up you should be able to apply the information as determined by the number of marks or directive term.

Besides I find that I remember the content much better if I understand it :D

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The HSC is basically a rote learning contest for the most part.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Red - no
Green - maybe
3U English, 3U Maths, Music 1, Legal Studies and Economics.

3U English - yes, of course you have to memorise/rote learn stuff
Economics, Legal - yes, essay content, some understanding required
Maths - no, practice is better
Music 1 - only for theory content, better doing past hsc, and practicising for performance.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

The problem with the above is that if you come across a question you have never seen before you're screwed as you would not know how to apply your knowledge to that question.

So gain a solid understanding of all the concepts then start memorising them, so when a question pops up you should be able to apply the information as determined by the number of marks or directive term.

Biology is all about memorizing.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Yer, nah. I think i missed 11 marks for this years 5/6 markers in physics out of the 18 marks i missed. There are specific things that the criteria want you to mention that you just can't think of on the spot for the social science questions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)