Is Post-grad dentistry worth it? (1 Viewer)

x3Reii

HSC
I'm planning to do a B of Diagnostic Radiography at USYD and then try to get into post-grad dentistry. This will take me about 7 years and I'm wondering if its worth it? Could I possible get a weekend/part time job for radiography whilst studying dentistry?

Are these two courses a good combination? Alternatively, I could try getting into B of Medical Science or B of Health Science at USYD. Which path would be better?

Also, is it hard to get a 5.5 GPA? and does anyone know the cutoff for dentistry for GAMSAT?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you really wanted to do Dentistry, you shouldn't even be asking this question.

Do something else, you're clearly not passionate about it.

Ryan_T90

HSC
It's worth it if you want to do it. If you want to do it just for the money, then no, it's not worth it.

hkx92

HSC
N/A
GAMSAT cut off to get an interview for 2012 entry was 60, for 2011 it was 62.

Its best for you to get an dental assisting job on weekends, now to see how a dental practice works and keep doing that during dentisty. This may allow you to see if its worth doing dentistry.

Dental course have very long hours because of the amount of hours spent in the clinics and labs, (you have to go to the labs to make your bridges, dentures ect). You would be looking at 8-6 days plus assignments and study.

You also wont have much of a summer holiday as the course usually starts in late Jan.

hkx92

HSC
N/A
btw i mentioned the amount of hours in dent in the post above just to suggest that i will be pretty hard to keep a part time job that involves working on week days while doing dentistry. not impossible but very hard and tiring.

also don't you need to do a professional year after finishing radiography to be a qualified radiographer? this would mean if you want to do dentistry immediately after finishing radiography, you cant use it at all even for a part time job while doing dentistry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)