Is it worth doing extra curricular activities in year 12? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Can anyone suggest to me what the advantages of doing extra curricular activities are in year 12. Do people only do them for increased scholarship chances and too look good on resume's and if so, what are some popular activities? I am looking into joining school sports teams, maybe zone rep, school clubs, helping at open days...
I also want to know if they are time consuming and can affect school performance because most of my school's sports clubs have games during full school days.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. EC's are a great way to foster intergrade bonds and you'll feel more integrated in the community (so good feels!) and yes some people do them for scholarship resumes, but even if you do, it's a win-win situation because you're benefitting both yourself and the community
2. Popular activities - usually school organised sport (i.e. basketball, touch footy, netball, etc.)
3. Not really time consuming. Its a really great break from academia. You'll be fine if you manage your time well.

D94

HSC
N/A
They are only time consuming if you make it out to be. They can be relaxing, stimulating, fun, competitive, good for self-growth etc. They don't need to be done for the sake of increasing scholarship chances.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why is this even a thread, of course they help with everything.

But don't be the type to do EC's "just so you can have a good cv" or something like that.

Have fun with them. They are a really important part of your study, health and life well being about things.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
They are only time consuming if you make it out to be. They can be relaxing, stimulating, fun, competitive, good for self-growth etc. They don't need to be done for the sake of increasing scholarship chances.
Took the words right out of my mouth:

Why is this even a thread, of course they help with everything.

But don't be the type to do EC's "just so you can have a good cv" or something like that.

Have fun with them. They are a really important part of your study, health and life well being about things.

Reactions: D94

EasyA

HSC
For Scholarships and medicine yes, for anything else, probably not.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
For Scholarships and medicine yes, for anything else, probably not.
Good Luck with that balance in lifestyle.

If it wasn't for my EC's I would be so bored with myself, and probably end up yet another gaming addict.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well doing a team sport was a good way of forcing myself to do exercise ...

You need to have some kind of break... and music/sport is meant to be good for your overall mental well being..

senorceepa

HSC
It's fun and relaxing! I've been going to the gym every day, participate in volunteer work and I always make sure I schedule some 5 to 10 minutes worth of "extra curricular" time in my bedroom every night at around 11:30 when I know every one is asleep...

wagig

HSC
Can anyone suggest to me what the advantages of doing extra curricular activities are in year 12. Do people only do them for increased scholarship chances and too look good on resume's and if so, what are some popular activities? I am looking into joining school sports teams, maybe zone rep, school clubs, helping at open days...
I also want to know if they are time consuming and can affect school performance because most of my school's sports clubs have games during full school days.
Depends on your definition of "time"

Hopp

HSC
Depends on your ability in school, accessibility to events and future goals.
Like obviously it will assist in your qualifications and early entry programs but there is the discernible negative of the time consumption. I'm currently in year 12 and am competing in debating, rugby and athletics (through school), as well as work. But dropped off league, basketball and athletic training from the previous year. Honestly doing EC activities hasn't affected my school work, but just remember to prioritize school and you'll be fine in doing anything.

enoilgam

HSC
Doing ECs can actually help with your school work, because it can act as a healthy distraction. You dont want to be consumed with HSC/school work 24/7, it's important to do other activities. Think of it as an investment - you are investing time in order to get more out of yourself during your study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)