Is it still possible for me to get 90+ ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Foxyq

HSC
So far, for my 1st assessment in physics I got 61% and 1st assessment in standard english I got 50%.

I know, it's really bad. I just didn't focus due to personal issues.
My subjects are:
Physics - 61%
Chemistry
2unit Math
Business Studies
Standard English - 50%
Biology

So far, is it still possible to get a 90+ atar? If so, what assessment average would I need for the subjects? Thanks.

Aysce

HSC
May I ask what rank your school is and cohort size? The assessment average depends on the quality of your cohort and also how difficult your school marks in comparison to other schools.

Foxyq

HSC
How would I find my school rank and cohort size? Sorry I just moved here and still have to get used to all the terminology :S

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Cohort size is the amount of people in your class. It would also help if you stated your rank in the classes.

Aysce

HSC
Cohort size is the amount of people in your class. It would also help if you stated your rank in the classes.
OP only stated doing 2 assessments so far so there will only be 2 ranks which provides little help I suppose..

How would I find my school rank and cohort size? Sorry I just moved here and still have to get used to all the terminology :S
You can ask teachers or just get a rough estimate. School rank can be found here: http://bettereducation.com.au/results/Hsc1Page.aspx

Foxyq

HSC
For year 11, I got the following ranks if that helps:

English Standard: Course average was 47% and I came my rank is 15th out of 151 people
2unit math: 61%, 30/38
Biology: 51%, 28/75
Chemistry: 55%, 17/44
Physics: 52% 27/42
Business Studies 62%, 14/88

Year 12:
The only rank I know is for physics, I got 61% and im 27th our of 42 people.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Definitley can still get 90+, its only the start theres a LONG way to go and make ground. You just have to pull your socks up for the remaining assessments

Aysce

HSC
It is still possible - I don't know the weighting of your assessment but you have many more to go to cover lost ground. As crazy_paki mentioned, try your best and you could hit 90+. It's too early to give up now.

enoilgam

HSC
It's early in the year and there is plenty of time to turn things around - not only do you have several small assessments to go, but you also have the trials which are worth a considerable portion of your marks in each subject. So things can change a great deal from here on out. Just focus on the future and the next lot of assessments.

Foxyq

HSC
I am really confident that I can get 90+ in Biology, 2unit Math, Business Studies and Physics. I just didn't try a single bit in year 11 and during the last assessment. Those were the last assessments for the year so I have all of the summer holidays and the remainder of the school to prepare. It's just English Standard and Chemistry. If I get 90+ in Bio, Math, Business and physics and manage a 75% in English and Chemistry, is it still possible then to get a 90+ ATAR?

Both the physics and english were worth 15%..

Aysce

HSC
I am really confident that I can get 90+ in Biology, 2unit Math, Business Studies and Physics. I just didn't try a single bit in year 11 and during the last assessment. Those were the last assessments for the year so I have all of the summer holidays and the remainder of the school to prepare. It's just English Standard and Chemistry. If I get 90+ in Bio, Math, Business and physics and manage a 75% in English and Chemistry, is it still possible then to get a 90+ ATAR?

Both the physics and english were worth 15%..
I assume you're talking about HSC marks - in my opinion, no. You will probably end up in the mid to high 80s though. 15% for phys and english isn't that much, you're lucky that you can still turn things around. I remember at my school my first assessment which was an exam for 3 and 4 unit maths were both 40% (luckily I didn't do badly) so that should provide you with some sort of consolation since you'd obviously rather do poorly in something weighed less than something large.

Foxyq

HSC
I'm talking about the course average or the average assessment mark for all assignments and exams done over the year..the HSC mark is the mark you get after you sit the actual HSC exam, am I correct?

Aysce

HSC
I'm talking about the course average or the average assessment mark for all assignments and exams done over the year..the HSC mark is the mark you get after you sit the actual HSC exam, am I correct?
Specify then...

The HSC mark is made up of your assessment mark and your examination mark. More can be found here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html

About the course average, you'll probably reach 90 but it is dependent upon how hard your actual school marks.

Foxyq

HSC
Oh then yes I was talking about the HSC mark. Oh no :'( I need at least a 90 atar mark for the course I want to do in uni. How do I achieve this? What subjects would I have to focus on?

enoilgam

HSC
Oh then yes I was talking about the HSC mark. Oh no :'( I need at least a 90 atar mark for the course I want to do in uni. How do I achieve this? What subjects would I have to focus on?
You should try and focus on all your subjects, but you should give a little more attention to the subjects which you are struggling in. Consistency is key with the HSC and you should be aiming to do well across all of your subjects.

Aysce

HSC
Maybe focus a little more on 2 unit and physics in addition to what enoil said.

Foxyq

HSC
Okay, thank you and everyone so much for all the help. :)

funstudy

HSC
It's still early days. Just try your best, study hard. Seek help from teachers or tutors if necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)