Interested in becoming a paramedic (1 Viewer)

Sonesful

HSC
So I'm in my first year at uni doing a science course at USYD. Right now, I really do not know what I want to do, but I'm pretty sure it won't being staying in the course I'm in currently. I know I want to do something health related, but I don't want to be stuck in an office or a lab for the rest of my life, so I thought about maybe choosing to become a paramedic.

I've done a tiny bit of research on this and have found out that there aren't many places that offer a paramedicine degree near Sydney, theres UWS but its in Campbelltown, and theres CSU in Port Macquarie. Both alot farther than Redfern for me.

So here are my questions:
- Are there any places that offer a paramedicine degree near Sydney?
- Is it worth it to become a paramedic?
- What are the job prospects for paramedics?

I think I have more questions, but they haven't made their way to the front of my brain yet. If there are any paramedics here, or people doing a paramedicine course, or really anyone who may be able to give me some insight on choosing paramedics as a career, your input will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
Programs with Full Accreditation:

Auckland University of Technology NZ - Bachelor of Health Science (Paramedicine)
Charles Sturt University NSW - Bachelor of Clinical Practice (Paramedic)
Edith Cowan University WA - Bachelor of Science (Paramedical Science)
Flinders University SA - Bachelor of Science (Paramedic)
Monash University VIC - Bachelor of Emergency Health(Paramedic)
Monash University VIC - Bachelor of Nursing/Emergency Health (Paramedic)
Queensland University of Technology - Bachelor of Paramedic Science
Queensland University of Technology - Bachelor of Paramedic Science Graduate Entry
Victoria University - Bachelor of Health Science (Paramedic)
Paramedic programs with Provisional Accreditation:

Australian Catholic University - Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Paramedicine
Central Queensland University - Bachelor of Paramedic Science
Charles Sturt University NSW - Graduate Diploma Clinical Practice (Paramedic)
University of Tasmania - Bachelor of Paramedic Practice
Whitireia New Zealand - Bachelor of Health Science ( Paramedic)
Paramedic programs with Preliminary Accreditation Approval:

Australian Catholic University - Bachelor of Paramedicine
Curtin University – Bachelor of Science (Health Sciences)
University of Queensland – Bachelor of Paramedic Science
University of Western Sydney - Bachelor of Health Sciences (Paramedicine)
Evaluation for Provisional Accreditation:

Queensland University of Technology – Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Paramedic Science
University of the Sunshine Coast - Bachelor of Paramedic Science
Universities applying for Paramedic program Accreditation:

Federation University – Graduate Diploma of Paramedicine
LaTrobe University – Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Paramedic Practice

Sonesful

HSC
Yeah I saw that, I need more "insight" though :D Sorry for being a bit vague... but yeah. I need more insight.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So I'm in my first year at uni doing a science course at USYD. Right now, I really do not know what I want to do, but I'm pretty sure it won't being staying in the course I'm in currently. I know I want to do something health related, but I don't want to be stuck in an office or a lab for the rest of my life, so I thought about maybe choosing to become a paramedic.

I've done a tiny bit of research on this and have found out that there aren't many places that offer a paramedicine degree near Sydney, theres UWS but its in Campbelltown, and theres CSU in Port Macquarie. Both alot farther than Redfern for me.

So here are my questions:
- Are there any places that offer a paramedicine degree near Sydney?
- Is it worth it to become a paramedic?
- What are the job prospects for paramedics?

I think I have more questions, but they haven't made their way to the front of my brain yet. If there are any paramedics here, or people doing a paramedicine course, or really anyone who may be able to give me some insight on choosing paramedics as a career, your input will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you
Well sorry

It's actually a good course

DLMisme

HSC
My stepfather is an intensive care paramedic and he's been in the service for 21 years now. In answer to your question is it worth it, you definitely need a strong passion for the job. You will encounter abuse and see some terrible things as a paramedic. It is a physically and mentally demanding job, but in the long run my stepfather has always found it to be a rewarding career. To know you saved a life is a pretty amazing feeling.

Sonesful

HSC
Yeah, I've already contacted St. John and am planning to start volunteering with them. I guess I'll put UTAS, UWS and CSU on my preferences since theyre the closest.

@DLMisme I don't think I'd have a problem with the confronting things I might see, I like to think I have a strong stomach. And I also believe I want to do it for the right reasons... you know, to help people. But I am worried about the difficulty of finding employment after graduation, since I've done some more research and found that the field is very competitive, is that true?

96rush

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry this is really late but if you haven't realised already UTAS offers a course in Rozelle. Its said to be one of the best paramedicine courses in NSW alongside CSU's. This is because many of the lecturers are on road paramedics lecturing part time. They also learn NSW ambulance protocols from day one increasing the chances of employment in NSW ambulance. So if you want to work in NSW then even better. As far as career opportunities go there are so many. Antarctic expedition, yacht races, sports matches, easter show, the army, mining industry..What do they have in common? You will be part of an industry whose work involves pretty much everyone at one point or another. More specific to NSW ambulance you start as a trainee (baby paramedic in a ambulance) and you can move up to intensive care or even a new role extended care paramedic (has to do extra training later on with med students). You can also go into the motorcycle squat or SCAT paramedic jumping out of helicopters or working as a flight crew for care flight. Thats if you are an adrenaline junky. Sorry if this is late and no longer relevant. Either way someone might read it and yes we see some messed up stuff but at the end of the day its a great job and who else can say they work less than half the year? (4 days on 5 days off roster)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)