inner journeys (1 Viewer)

jessikayo

HSC
hey.

i have an assesment on inner journeys and i need to find a cartoon on them.

any ideas would be helpful.

cheers..

jessikayo

HSC
thanks.

the one by leunig is really good.
i dont know if il be able to pull 5 techniques out of it though.
i havnt done much on techniques.

eliseliselise

HSC
for the leunig cartoon u can talk about techques like the salient image, vectors, the text [rhyme, repetition] etc

Olly606

HSC
HI
thats really good related text. I need two for my exams i was wondering if anyone had any other related texts for inner journeys-empire of the sun novel.

Any would be great
thanks

bored of sc

HSC
jessikayo said:
thanks.

the one by leunig is really good.
i dont know if il be able to pull 5 techniques out of it though.
i havnt done much on techniques.
For techniques, there are two categories for the cartoon (at least for me anyway) I would differentiate my techniques into:

> Visual techniques (for the image component):
- Objects: in the 'Let it Go' text the main object is the man and his walking track (his inner thoughts), the moon in the sky - the simplicity of the objects is important as it shows the nature of this particular inner journey: the end goal of a gratified spirituality is clear cut (it is simply understood) however achieving this goal is much more difficult (you have to look beyond the surface (of the images)) and find something much more difficult to comprehend (not clear cut) but ultimately infinitely more rewarding.
- Size and placement: man is the focal point due to his relatively large size within the image as well as the placement of him near the centre of the image, the moon is small and far away from the centre showing it is night but this fact is relatively insignificant, the written text takes up almost a quarter of the image and is situated in the top, right; this is vital as we as humans read from left to right, so the text is the last thing we read (thus, we reread/review it as it must be important)
- Colour: there is an absence of colour (black) or combinations of all the colours of the visible spectrum (white). The white within the image is reflective of the raw, internal energy pouring out of the man. The energy (white) is a combinations of all emotions (all colours as white is a mixture all colours) which represents the bigger picture (when the man looks at his life from a holistic perspective he can attain spiritual enlightenment and ultimate gratitude - thus he can let it all unravel). The black, on the other hand, is symbolic of lack of emotion and spiritual enlightenment. Perhaps the environmental setting (outdoors at night using blacks for the sky and ground) suggests society is cynical of and desensitised to spirituality as a result of materialism and selfishness.
- Body language: the man is slumped over (leaned forward) which could represent his mind-set: he wishes to push forward into the state of ultimate gratitude. But in order to achieve this he needs to pour out his deepest thoughts, find his true identity and accept that identity. Thus his journey along the path (the object symbolic of the spiritual/inner journey) can only continue when he uncovers, explores and accepts more of his emotions, thoughts, ideologies about life and stop fighting them. The action of the man is legs apart and walking. This resembles taking action, movement, the fact that he is discontent in his depressing, stagnant nature and needs to let go of the negative events of the past.
- Facial expression: a slight but clear grin is on the face of the man. Spiritual enlightenment (at least for this man) is a positive, life-changing experience.
- Clothing: no clothing reflects the lack of external influences (e.g. media) pulling him back from his path to spiritual gratification. He is naked. Therefore he is accepting his physical identity/appearance and as a result, is working closer and closer towards the end of his journey (ultimate satisfaction of his life).
- Lighting: shades of white to black show the radiance of that indescribable, supernatural high experienced through his inner journey towards undeniable, unconditional happiness (what I mean here is that far away from the man the environment is dark symbolising despair, pessimism, cynicism, well... negativity generally; however as you move closer to the man the shades become lighter which implies this spiritual journey radiates off intense positivity, like a star billions of light-years away).
- Angles: the man is at the responder's eye-level, eradicating social ideologies of superiority, status, dominance etc. The journey is free of a myriad of prejudices. The main obstacle/challenge/prejudice is that of man himself: his selfish, cynical tendencies can hold him back.
- Shots: wide-shot is definitely used to instil a sense of infinity and endlessness within the responder; although the journey may end (is finite) the consequences (both positive and negative) will transcend time and remain within his consciousness forever. The beginning or ending of the path is NOT shown, which suggests length of journey, possibly that this journey had no beginning or end but that the man is stuck on it with no escape.
- Foreground: the ground, the man and his path. The laws of nature (gravity, momentum etc) are holding him back in a way. The physical world still dominates. The path coming out of his head trails up into the sky, into infinite possibilities only to return back to the ground. This could suggest the domineering power of concepts like science, facts, logic and sense. Once the man can successfully defeat the tyranny of the physical world, spiritual enlightenment can be achieved.
- Background: the written text and sky. Representing possibility, endlessness, timelessness, and self-discovery - the end products of this journey.

> Language techniques (for the written text):
- didactic, relatively informal language (I don't think it's formal language)
- repetition
- verbs
- adjectives
- nouns
- syntax
- grammar
- rhyme/assonance (internal rhyme too)
- rhythm
- generalisations (maybe)
- conjunctions
- metaphors
- puns
- present tense
- third person narration (maybe)
- prepositions

Um, that was fun. I haven't explained the language techniques. Hopefully there's some decent techniques/ideas in the above waffle.

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
^^ 819 words of pure technique. How the hell do you do that lol.

bored of sc

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
^^ 819 words of pure technique. How the hell do you do that lol.
I have a whole folder with english techniques in there (I've been collecting sheets since year 7). When analysing texts I go to the appropriate category (in the case of the cartoon, visual and literary techniques).

As for the waffling, I try to link it all to the common concept - in this case the search for an identity through spiritual enlightenment. If I do off on a tangent (as I do heaps), just when I feel it's going beyond relevant I link it back to the main idea (or I try to).

So basically, I think like a weirdo (beyond the normal), cheat by stealing techniques off sheets and try to keep things as systematic (subheadings of techniques for example) as possible, never losing sight of the main notion.

kendyl

HSC
hey, i was just wanting to know more about the language techniques. I'm great with all of the things mentioned above about symbolism and such but its the language techniques that let me down.

it would be a huge help =]

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
kendyl said:
hey, i was just wanting to know more about the language techniques. I'm great with all of the things mentioned above about symbolism and such but its the language techniques that let me down.

it would be a huge help =]
There are entire threads in the English Advanced section dedication to techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)