In order to get a 90+ atar, what assessment marks do you need? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I know that the marks are also coming from your final exams, however in your assessments, what should you be aiming for every assessment, if this question can be answered that is.

I would be so happy by just getting a 90!

enoilgam

HSC
I know that the marks are also coming from your final exams, however in your assessments, what should you be aiming for every assessment, if this question can be answered that is.

I would be so happy by just getting a 90!
Its all about rankings, so just make sure they are as high as possible.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Obviously it depends on the criteria and standards your school sets for the assessments but from experience, I would say that anything above 80% will do.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Do school rankings make a difference btw?

And is it usually over 80% marks that will be a good indicator of a good atar? Or I guess we can not predict that, I never know :)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Do school rankings make a difference btw?

And is it usually over 80% marks that will be a good indicator of a good atar? Or I guess we can not predict that, I never know :)
I have a question too. With the comment above in consideration, and a school of say, 500 rank. How would that affect your atar in terms of scaling? If you get like 80% + and top 5 ranks, would you still get dragged down a lot due to a bad cohort?

Alkanes

HSC
Good idea is to try and top every single subject if your school is ranked in 500s or lower. If you can do this you don't have to worry about the rest of your cohort.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Good idea is to try and top every single subject if your school is ranked in 500s or lower. If you can do this you don't have to worry about the rest of your cohort.
This is the best aim for year 12 that i know of.

+ rep if i could (I spread to much :(

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
That's what everyone says xD It's just kinda hard sometimes to top it all the time.. in every subject...

Alkanes

HSC
Good challenge that you could try and accomplished. It'll pay off.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't really say "I got 90%, I'm going to get 90 in my HSC" since all schools are different. Just get your highest mark and generally if it's a decent school (Top 100 or so) then being in the top 25% in all your subjects should get you 90 overall ATAR.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
But how is it fair that you could get the best marks and still rank a little lower because of the rank of the school? Or am I getting this wrong?

Maybe I am thinking about this too much, I think the best thing is to do really well and then let the rest of the scoring, etc, do it's thing. I can't predict what I will get anyway.

D94

HSC
N/A
But how is it fair that you could get the best marks and still rank a little lower because of the rank of the school? Or am I getting this wrong?
If you get the best marks, and do well in the HSC, you will do well. But getting the best marks at your school might be an average mark at another school. So the HSC attempts to put everything into perspective and mark you as a whole.

Official

Bring it on
HSC

Maybe I am thinking about this too much, I think the best thing is to do really well and then let the rest of the scoring, etc, do it's thing. I can't predict what I will get anyway.
You don't have to worry about this, it can be assured that school ranks etc will have no impact on you if you try ur best
BOS is fair in that sense, you have the same chance as anyone in the highest ranked school to achieve a high atar

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

subject scaling matters more, an 85 all up in modern translates to 90 something, while an 85 in SOC = 82-83 and if you get an 80 in soc it goes down to about 70, though how they scale differs every year, it is fairly consistent

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Aim for like 60% in exams. Be in the middle of the school.
EDIT: Oh wait, lol. Depends on which school. If you're not in the 100s then try and aim to be in top 10% of the school I guess.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)