If you fail a half yearly? (1 Viewer)

themayday

HSC
If you fail a half yearly exam or do not do that well in one that weighs like 40%, do you think there is still a chance to do well in that subject? How about if you just generally do not do that well in most of the half yearly exams? Is there still a chance to do well in those subjects/get a good ATAR overall?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The marks are not used, its only the ranks. As a result, if your whole cohort performing similarly, this wouldn't really have much of an impact as you're still in the cluster.

Moral of the story, look at ranks and not marks.

itoki228

HSC
N/A
But then again, if you mean fail as in relation to your cohort, it does influence your rank a lot

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Depends on a number of factors such as your cohort(usually seen by school rank),your ranks as mentioned relative to others, and of course how well you do in the HSC exams. Note internal is 50%, so it's not all doom and gloom, that being said most people who are low/average ranks usually stay that way(unless you have a pump to really excel and really do push yourself). I heard the trials sort out alot of the cluster though, so if trials are anything like your mid-years of 40% you could still have a good chance to come up at least above average which should get you a decent atar.

D94

HSC
N/A
The marks are not used, its only the ranks. As a result, if your whole cohort performing similarly, this wouldn't really have much of an impact as you're still in the cluster.

Moral of the story, look at ranks and not marks.
No, this is a grave misconception.

Ranks are definitely not considered, marks are very much considered, especially the gaps between marks. Coming 5th by 2% puts you in a better position than coming 5th by 20%.

There have been many explanations in numerous threads, so I'll refer you to the BOS document: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

enoilgam

HSC
No, this is a grave misconception.

Ranks are definitely not considered, marks are very much considered, especially the gaps between marks. Coming 5th by 2% puts you in a better position than coming 5th by 20%.

There have been many explanations in numerous threads, so I'll refer you to the BOS document: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
Your rank still matters though, but the mark itself matters more than most think. When I explain it, I usually say it's your position which is used in the moderation process (position being your rank and the relative gaps between you and everyone else).

The reason people on BoS say that marks dont matter is in response to the FAQ "I have a raw percentage of 65%, can I still get a band 6". In that case, the scale of the mark is irrelevant, because 65% could be enough for a 90 depending on the specific circumstances. Overall though, it isnt correct to assume that raw marks dont matter in their entirety.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your rank still matters though, but the mark itself matters more than most think. When I explain it, I usually say it's your position which is used in the moderation process (position being your rank and the relative gaps between you and everyone else).

The reason people on BoS say that marks dont matter is in response to the FAQ "I have a raw percentage of 65%, can I still get a band 6". In that case, the scale of the mark is irrelevant, because 65% could be enough for a 90 depending on the specific circumstances. Overall though, it isnt correct to assume that raw marks dont matter in their entirety.
Yes, all fair points. I guess the problem is that there is a lack of understanding of moderation, ill-informed teachers, too much focus on rank, BOS and UAC's use of moderation/aligning/scaling etc. and students thinking since they are top 5 rank, they can just breeze through the HSC exams. The BOS website should be sufficient in understanding, but a few more likely scenarios would be better, i.e. examples with more than 5 students in a class, and examples where marks are stretched apart and where marks are clustered.

But at the end of the day, the marks in the HSC exams matter the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)