i no this sounds vain but... (1 Viewer)

cko

HSC
y am i paying 590 for LAMINATED PAPER (for fk sake) when everybody is getting credit card plastic student ID cards for round 300?

Generator

HSC
N/A
$481 plus a one-off joining/'building contribution' fee of $109. Though our fees (for three organisations, not a laminated student card) are quite high, it isn't as though we are the only students in the state being slugged with such high fees each year.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The money isn't just going towards your student card, but political protests (of which you might hold a directly opposing stance) and a lovely variety of things like subsidised fat, for those who feel the need to eat chips each day, the keeping of the ovals in their top green condition and providing free tea and coffee for the majority of the students (ie women) and a few select other minority groups. Also a very small part goes towards student services (such as legal aid, subsidised child care etc).

That is, multiple things.

thebach

HSC
Yeh it really sucks even western sydney students are getting good looking plastic student ID cards and we get some shit paper card. It's gave me the impression sydney Uni is pretty tight on stuff like this!!!!!

alien

HSC
yeah it stings to pay that much. i don't think it's compulsory to pay union fees though, people have been talking about refusing to pay it and ranting about unionism or something... don't know if there's any validity in it though
i like my laminated paper :p

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
thebach said:
Yeh it really sucks even western sydney students are getting good looking plastic student ID cards and we get some shit paper card. It's gave me the impression sydney Uni is pretty tight on stuff like this!!!!!
head over to UWS then, if it's so great.

For fucks sake, it's your student card, dry those eyes.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Apparently there is a way to avoid it but you still pay the fees, not 100% sure. But what most people have been talking about is Voluntary Student Unionism which will be put through although not sure in which form if it is like Victoria's it is pointless as it just says you must pay but you can direct it to go towards buildings etc instead of political campaigns (in which case they just take a larger % of those who do allow it to be spent on whatever to pay for that) or like Western Australias, which saw the diminish in services (due to marketing factors) the joining rate to 25% and fees drop 50%, of course it meant political protests that directly opposed students beliefs were held.

More than likely if the Liberals dont bow to pressure from the Universitys Vice-Chancellors, it will make it illegal for a university to collect fees for non-academic reasons.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Supposedly it is voluntary, yet if you do not pay your enrolment will not be finalised, so for all intents and purposes it is compulsary. That's what I have read/been told, anyway.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
haha nice call dipshit. you're the one saying how great uws seems to be.

it's a fucking student i.d. card, i honestly don't care what it looks like.. why the fuck are you so worked up over a peice of plastic?

and you're right, everyone does have the right to voice their opinion, watch me go!

Generator

HSC
N/A
thebach said:
I hoped you do sadcunt and also i didnt say how good UWS is cos its a shit hole.
Note to all UWS students: This isn't a topic that needs your input, so try and ignore the above quote :).

Last edited:

thebach

HSC
Yeh Blame It On Espo He Just Stuffed Up The Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebach

HSC
Apology to all UWS students, i was saying that your student card is pretty good.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
settle down kids, you're arguing over a small thing like a student card jeez, there are more important things in uni than worrying about such things.

tennille

HSC
The student card isn't that bad. ;)

Are the more things to worry about stuff related to passing exams, etc? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
Where one may find a clean toilet, how to avoid the EU (the christian group), etc.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Tennille said:
The student card isn't that bad. ;)

Are the more things to worry about stuff related to passing exams, etc? :p
That is definitely something to worry about, also managing to stay awake in some uni lectures :)

LazyBoy

HSC
Generator said:
Note to all UWS students: This isn't a topic that needs your input, so try and ignore the above quote :).
haha good call generator. i think i know exactly whom your talking about. a certain 2nd year student who places his/her opinion especially when its not wanted.

a little lost

relationships pfft
Generator said:
i know u've asked not to comment but i'm this is just something that i have to say. As a former UWS student who has recently transfered to sydney i do find it amazing. For everyone reading this and who feels the urge to bash UWS have any of you ever been to uws? Have any of you experienced the culture at UWS? it has a wonderful environment were everyone is comfortable with each other and people don't go around belitting other educational institutions.

Why do people always feel the urge to bash UWS for when they know absoultely nothing about UWS.

For the record i'm glad i was able to study a yr at UWS because i was able to learn a lot not just academically but to learn about life experiences as well.
Although it does have it draw backs. But then so does every other institution.

Former UWS student and proud of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)