i need to cry for a little while about standard (1 Viewer)

jacqui-xo

HSC
I am not allowed to do english advanced because I got my first ever C this semester which apparently reflects my ability to succeed in advanced. I am told I am not good enough for the higher class because I flunked 2 exams, yet they took into absolutely NO consideration my class participation, class work or passion for the subject. I have literally never been more upset with my school at the moment. Ugh my english coordinator is an absolute -.
What should I do? Write her an essay on why I believe I am capable? Or just continue crying and give up?
ugh.
:(

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can't persuade her , then you should just be get on with it and do your best at standard. Though you should still try and persuade her to let you :)

Last edited:

SuperMike96

HSC
If you can't persuade her , then you should just be get on with it and do your best at standard. Though you should still try and persuade her to let you :)
What this guy said. Also, if you desperately want to do Advanced then consider moving schools to a school that will let you (this shouldn't be done lightly though).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How many times have you discussed the issue with the coordinator?

Perhaps you could negotiate a compromise? Year 11 marks don't count for the HSC so there is definitely some leeway which should be available if you push the right buttons.

Aysce

HSC
Consider what your aims are post HSC and what ATAR cut-off you need for a certain course at a certain university. English Standard is well known to impede one's ATAR due to it's poor aligning in contrast to that of English Advanced. I advise that you keep trying to fight for your right to do English Advanced - DO NOT GIVE UP and DO NOT do English Standard! If you a desperate enough, yes you can move schools.

Although one thing to take into consideration is that if the ATAR cut-off is relatively low, then it is possible to achieve that aim with standard english. In my opinion, this may range from 75-97 considering you do relatively well in English standard. However, achieving 98-99+ with English Standard is quite difficult. Regardless, do English Advanced at ALL COSTS.

jacqui-xo

HSC
Aaaaand I spoke to her. She blatantly refused to sign it when she found out I got a C. I explained my case, regardless of her shitty attitude and finally she loosened up a little. She said she would reconsider after my next english assessment - but we both know she is just trying to let me down easy. Ugh. I hate people.

jacqui-xo

HSC
Valid point. Stuff was happening at the time, but still, I shouldn't have let my personal life intrude. I definitely understand where you are coming from but unfortunately I can't change how I handled it. And I was a little over exaggerating: 11/20 for S1, 12/15 for S2, either way, it landed me with a C I can't change. :( thanks all for your input and what not XXX

Emily Howard

HSC
I am not allowed to do english advanced because I got my first ever C this semester which apparently reflects my ability to succeed in advanced. I am told I am not good enough for the higher class because I flunked 2 exams, yet they took into absolutely NO consideration my class participation, class work or passion for the subject. I have literally never been more upset with my school at the moment. Ugh my english coordinator is an absolute -.
What should I do? Write her an essay on why I believe I am capable? Or just continue crying and give up?
ugh.
tru story

neva bothered in junior highschool, did occasionally do well in english or tasks but was a massive bludger

in year 9-10 my english teacher - who gave me C's - told me i cldnt do advanced english, advised me to do standard

n u noe wat? i learned to write essays better n i got a band 6/6 in english advanced HS, high band 3/4 for ext 1

my first essay fo advanced i got 10/15, top of da grade got 13/15, n i got better

i went to uni, finished an essay based degree which i got heaps of D's in n even HD's fo sum of my essays

teachers cnt deny u entry into advanced english, if dey do, u can take it up wif BOS

tigerian

HSC
N/A
im an English teacher . we can only recommend . if you want to do advanced the school cannot prevent you . The Board of studies will help u if you really want to do advanced . speak to your coordinator and get your parents involved then ask to speak to a rep from BOS .

HSC
Your coordinator does not have the right to restrict you from having the education you desire, the board of studies says this. If she insists, you call the board of studies! This happened to me and my friends, the teachers wanted to drop a whole class to standard, and we complained, yet the english teachers made it look like we have no choice (remember; english teachers have persuasive skills, dont be fooled). One of my friends called the board of studies, they called our year advisor, and our head teacher HAD to let us to advanced :) Persist, and trust me, standard will hurt ur atar bad if you want to get in the 90's. Don't be scared, just do it.
YOU DON'T NEED TO WRITE A DAMN ESSAY R U SRS, that's a waste of time and effort, teachers are cold and ruthless, they only care about the amount of band 6s' they can collect.

Last edited:

onelife1chance

HSC
yet they took into absolutely NO consideration my class participation, class work or passion for the subject.
Sorry to hear, she mustn't have realised that these factors contributed to your English mark and ATAR...

JBee

HSC
I'm really sorry honey, its clear you have a passion for english but advanced is a lot more demanding than standard. If you flunked two assessment tasks in standard she probably assumes that you're going to flunk them in advanced and reduce the mean (and hence everyone else's marks, ultimately, which makes her look bad). All I can say is work really hard, you want to scrape a high B at least in your next standard task and then work you're butt of in advanced if she lets you in :)

MissyL

HSC
You still got the rest of the year to prove that you're good enough for english you know? So start working for english now!

User5555555

HSC
Now let's apply a bit of logic into this.

If your teacher restricts you from choosing Advanced English as part of your preliminary course, they're in the wrong. They have no right to do this, and the BOS will side with you on this one.

Although, I do admit to doing VERY bad in my Year 9 and 10 courses, I never gave up. I never listened to what the teachers have told me.

'You won't do well in Senior school'

'Our school only offers advanced english so if you don't do well, that's a problem'

If you didn't do as well as you thought you did in year 10, don't fret. Year 11 is a fresh start. Although it does not count towards your HSC, it is time to develop good study habits to carry on into year 12.

This is coming from someone who goes to a selective school and used to come last or close to last in almost every subject, but has improved within half a year.

simplyinsanity

HSC
I personally love the idea of writing an essay about why you're passionate about English and what you'll do to improve/why you deserve to be in the harder course. It would show passion and drive and become much harder for her to ignore.
In a slightly similar case, someone in my school wrote a very creative letter to convince the english HT to let them do English Extension 2.

It worked. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)