I Need Some Advice (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Ill begin by saying I'll rep anything that is helpful

This is a question my friend asked me "if im gonna transfer after a year, u reckon i should do a single course and then tranfser into science/law or should i do a combined course like engineering/science and then transfer into science/law"

My friend wants to do science law obviously but he wants to know if he should just do science and then transfer into science/law
Could someone explain which would be better?

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Well it depends, if you want to transfer into a course like Law at Usyd or UNSW, your probably better off doing a degree which will boost your gpa. In this case, a single degree with a smaller workload is probably best (like arts). Also, I think with arts you can do law units, meaning this will reduce your courseload on transfer (not 100% on this, clarification someone)

michaeljennings

HSC
Well it depends, if you want to transfer into a course like Law at Usyd or UNSW, your probably better off doing a degree which will boost your gpa. In this case, a single degree with a smaller workload is probably best (like arts). Also, I think with arts you can do law units, meaning this will reduce your courseload on transfer (not 100% on this, clarification someone)
thanks =) repped

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
To the best of my knowledge, usyd and unsw combined law transfers consider your GPA and ATAR in second year. they dont consider what units you have previously studied or degree for that matter... but the benefit of doing the degree you want to combine with law is the possibility of speeding up the degree by a semester or two

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
depends on
- what you think you can do well in GPA wise (probs single degree)
- likelihood of transferring (ATAR + GPA - if unlikely, better to do something you would like to stick it out with, maybe double degree)
- prereq units (science law probs requires some science prereqs, so it would save time to do science instead of like arts) + less time to catch up

HSC
Uni Grad
Ill begin by saying I'll rep anything that is helpful

This is a question my friend asked me "if im gonna transfer after a year, u reckon i should do a single course and then tranfser into science/law or should i do a combined course like engineering/science and then transfer into science/law"

My friend wants to do science law obviously but he wants to know if he should just do science and then transfer into science/law
Could someone explain which would be better?
I reckon doing Arts/Science would be a better option than simply doing Science. Arts is extremely flexible, and you can choose many subjects, even commerce and law units. Science on itself only allows you to choose science related subjects.
Where does the person want to do Science/Law?

D94

HSC
N/A
In this situation, at least at UNSW, you will be completing more Engineering units than science, so it's essentially wasting a semester worth of units, when doing science straight, will at least get your first year covered, and being technically ahead of the science/law cohort in the science stream. I reckon doing science by itself will help establish which path s/he will take, and if there is a genuine interest in science, you can focus on them, attaining a good gpa or wam, making transfer relatively easier. Because engineering will most likely be the main stream, if there isn't interest there, their gpa/wam may be affected, reducing his/her ability to successfully transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)