HSC is just the externals (1 Viewer)

monsta4lyfe

HSC
Personally, I have never believed it is a 50/50 weighting of school assessment mark and HSC exam external mark.

To me it just seems like whatever mark you get in the actual HSC exam is either lowered or brought up by a couple of marks depending on whether your internal mark was higher or lower than your exam mark and that is your final HSC mark for that particular subject.

For example, for legal studies, a friend of mine got a mark of 64 for school assessment, and then a mark of 89 in externals somehow equates to a mark of 84. And for Studies of Religion, an internal of 65 and an exam mark of 92 is equal to a final mark of 91.

In that case it matters very little about ATAR estimates as there is no true way of telling how a certain student will perform on the day, right?

Lets hear BOS thoughts on this, if I am completely right or you disagree?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Lets hear BOS thoughts on this, if I am completely right or you agree?
You haven't given us much choice, eh?

But it's a no on both counts. The link enoilgam provided explains the process of moderation for which is the gap in your understanding.

michaeljennings

HSC
Personally, I have never believed it is a 50/50 weighting of school assessment mark and HSC exam external mark.

To me it just seems like whatever mark you get in the actual HSC exam is either lowered or brought up by a couple of marks depending on whether your internal mark was higher or lower than your exam mark and that is your final HSC mark for that particular subject.

For example, for legal studies, a friend of mine got a mark of 64 for school assessment, and then a mark of 89 in externals somehow equates to a mark of 84. And for Studies of Religion, an internal of 65 and an exam mark of 92 is equal to a final mark of 91.

In that case it matters very little about ATAR estimates as there is no true way of telling how a certain student will perform on the day, right?

Lets hear BOS thoughts on this, if I am completely right or you disagree?

Yep you have no idea what youre talking about haha

ultimatecricker

HSC
You're on the right path. Whilst most are under the impression that the Board Of Studies uses a highly sophisticated mechanism to calculate marks, they are sadly misinformed. In fact, they get your raw exam mark and the six overlords of the BOS committee take turns rolling a six-sided dice. They then add or subtract the avg of the rolls to your raw mark to obtain your HSC mark.

The internal mark has nothing to do with it.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
For me personally,unless my understanding of the system is totally wrong (and it could very well be) I can't see internals playing a huge role. I am quite intelligent by my school's (rural comprehensive) standards. I arm quite easily topping all of my subjects and I dare say it will be the same for the externals. If I'm first internally and externally in everything, I think it will be that my external mark is my internal mark so externals are essentially 100%. But like I said, I could have the wrong impression, I never quite got the whole system.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
For me personally,unless my understanding of the system is totally wrong (and it could very well be) I can't see internals playing a huge role. I am quite intelligent by my school's (rural comprehensive) standards. I arm quite easily topping all of my subjects and I dare say it will be the same for the externals. If I'm first internally and externally in everything, I think it will be that my external mark is my internal mark so externals are essentially 100%. But like I said, I could have the wrong impression, I never quite got the whole system.
If you're first internally and you get the highest externally, that highest external becomes your internal, and therefore your final mark. That's how you remain uninfluenced by a shit cohort. The problem is, at some schools, there are a few people battling for first, and 20 kids who don't care.

braintic

HSC
N/A
You're on the right path. Whilst most are under the impression that the Board Of Studies uses a highly sophisticated mechanism to calculate marks, they are sadly misinformed. In fact, they get your raw exam mark and the six overlords of the BOS committee take turns rolling a six-sided dice. They then add or subtract the avg of the rolls to your raw mark to obtain your HSC mark.

The internal mark has nothing to do with it.
Goes to show that Hurlstone isn't quite as selective as the other selective schools.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you're first internally and you get the highest externally, that highest external becomes your internal, and therefore your final mark. That's how you remain uninfluenced by a shit cohort. The problem is, at some schools, there are a few people battling for first, and 20 kids who don't care.
That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. At least if I have to go to a shit school it's not a shit school with a couple of people smarter than me in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)