HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

A stick of some length L is split into two smaller sticks (not necessarily equal). The larger of these two are split into two more sticks at some arbitrary point. As a result, there are three sticks in total.

Show that the probability that the three sticks form a triangle is 3ln(2) - 2.

God damn it Sy123, your dp confuses me (but my Santa hat > your top hat).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

There you go Sy123

Well for i, I managed to simply brute force my way through it by:

Then just doing loads of algebra eventually yielding me the answer. However if this is the only way to do this question (by letting z=x+iy), then I will be a bit disappointed heh. So is there a good/clever way to do this?

I will try the geometric means later.

But as for part b. As k approaches l, the circle will become the perpendicular bisector of z_1 and z_2.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

A stick of some length L is split into two smaller sticks (not necessarily equal). The larger of these two are split into two more sticks at some arbitrary point. As a result, there are three sticks in total.

Can the sticks cross over each other, or must the sticks make a perfect triangle without any extra bits sticking out?

(Also my slowpoke is more classy (and manly)) than yours :s)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Nice question, I'm giving it a go and have an idea what to do, but let me make a variation question:

A stick of some length L is split into two smaller sticks (not necessarily equal). The smaller of these two are split into two more sticks at some arbitrary point. As a result, there are three sticks in total.

Find the probability that the sticks form a triangle.

RealiseNothing

HSC

By Triangle Inequality yes?
Yes. It's how you do carrot's question I think. Basically what's the probability that the sum of the two shorter sides cut is larger than the longest side.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yes. It's how you do carrot's question I think. Basically what's the probability that the sum of the two shorter sides cut is larger than the longest side.
That is what I originally thought, however I was not able to do much with the 3 inequalities that I had and no numbers.

RealiseNothing

HSC

That is what I originally thought, however I was not able to do much with the 3 inequalities that I had and no numbers.
Same, I got stuck doing it that way. I'll try it again tomorrow if no one has got it by then, I really need to get back to my chemistry assignment lol.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC

Same, I got stuck doing it that way. I'll try it again tomorrow if no one has got it by then, I really need to get back to my chemistry assignment lol.
A clue: We simplify the problem by considering the triangle OAB, where O is the origin and A and B are the x and y intercepts, respectively, of the line x+y=k. The set of all possible trisections into triangles exists in triangle OAB. Generally, questions such as these are done using geometric probability, which usually involves finding the area between a curve and a line or possibly the ratio between the area of a shape that lies entirely within another area representing the total set.

Last edited:

jyu

HSC

3ln2-2 is small. One would think the prob is higher.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Damn these Slowpokes everywhere...

seanieg89

HSC

Hmmm...I got 2*log(2)-1. Are you sure your answer is correct?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Who needs integration by parts when you have this :s

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Well for i, I managed to simply brute force my way through it by:

Then just doing loads of algebra eventually yielding me the answer. However if this is the only way to do this question (by letting z=x+iy), then I will be a bit disappointed heh. So is there a good/clever way to do this?
Maybe you can use the fact that |z|^2 = z zbar...

jyu

HSC

3ln2-2 is correct. I worked it out just then.
What you have worked out is not the answer to the question. Your answer is for forming a right angled triangle. Now I see why the probability is so low.

RealiseNothing

HSC

3ln2-2 is correct. I worked it out just then.
Hmmm...I got 2*log(2)-1. Are you sure your answer is correct?
What you have worked out is not the answer to the question. Your answer is for forming a right angled triangle. Now I see why the probability is so low.
This is going to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)