How would you rate my subjects in a "scaling" perspective? (1 Viewer)

Hopp

HSC
I have a general idea of how they scale form calculators and what not, but was just want comments from people who have actually done the courses or have had friends who have done them in previous years.

Adv. English
Ex.1 English
Ex.2 English
Biology
Geography
Earth and Enviro Science
Ancient History
Hix.

I'm considering dropping Hix though.Thanks for any help!

Candidate

HSC
Pretty good. Earth/Enviro is not scaled too well I think, but drop your worst subject regardless of scaling.

P.S. Biology scaled better than Eng. Ex1 in 2013 :p

Hopp

HSC
Pretty good. Earth/Enviro is not scaled too well I think, but drop your worst subject regardless of scaling.

P.S. Biology scaled better than Eng. Ex1 in 2013 :p
Biology higher than Ex.1?? Wow, that's crazy. How do you know that?

Candidate

HSC
Biology higher than Ex.1?? Wow, that's crazy. How do you know that?
I got 46/50 (=92/100) for EE1 and 91/100 for Biology, yet EE1 was the subject that was not counted towards my ATAR. The Bio exam was pretty difficult though.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Shit but not quite "my parents won't let me drop out" like society and tourism or whatever.

HSC
Scaling depends on the exam. 2U maths doesn't usually scale as well as ex 1 and ext 2 but in 2013 it did and that was because the exam was pretty difficult compared to previous years'. Out of all your subjects I think Earth and Enviro Science wouldn't scale as well generally speaking. Not many schools offer such a course so there would be less people doing it than say something like Biology or Histories.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Scaling depends on the exam. 2U maths doesn't usually scale as well as ex 1 and ext 2 but in 2013 it did and that was because the exam was pretty difficult compared to previous years'. Out of all your subjects I think Earth and Enviro Science wouldn't scale as well generally speaking. Not many schools offer such a course so there would be less people doing it than say something like Biology or Histories.
Are you sure? Link?

madharris

HSC
N/A
I got 46/50 (=92/100) for EE1 and 91/100 for Biology, yet EE1 was the subject that was not counted towards my ATAR. The Bio exam was pretty difficult though.
I thought the '13 bio exam was a lot easier than '11 and '12 :p But that's just what I gathered from skimming through it :p

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I thought the '13 bio exam was a lot easier than '11 and '12 :p But that's just what I gathered from skimming through it :p
But scaling does not involve the exam difficulty. It only involves comparing how well the Biology cohort (or other subjects cohort) did in 2-unit English. This is the reason why English is compulsory.

More so aligning does factor in the exam difficulty. This year I think the B6 cut-off was around 86/100 raw, which is very high in comparison to other years, justifying your claim :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a general idea of how they scale form calculators and what not, but was just want comments from people who have actually done the courses or have had friends who have done them in previous years.

Adv. English
Ex.1 English
Ex.2 English
Biology
Geography
Earth and Enviro Science
Ancient History
Hix.

Decently, esp the Exts. Any ATAR is in your grasp with the combo anyway.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A

Adv. English
Ex.1 English
Ex.2 English
Biology
Geography
Earth and Enviro Science
Ancient History
Hix.

Adv. English- good
Ext 1 English- good
Ext 2 English- good
Bio- Average
Geo- poor/average
Earth/ Enviro- poor
Ancient History- Average
History Ext. - Good - don't drop it unless u are doing badly

You probably can get 99.95 but u need to have good rankings AND be in a top 20 ranked school.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Adv. English- good
Ext 1 English- good
Ext 2 English- good
Bio- Average
Geo- poor/average
Earth/ Enviro- poor
Ancient History- Average
History Ext. - Good - don't drop it unless u are doing badly

You probably can get 99.95 but u need to have good rankings AND be in a top 20 ranked school.
Not necessarily in the top 20 ranked schools because there are dux in other schools that achieve 99.95 as well remember? but if your school ranges from 100-150, being top 15-20 should suffice depending on your cohort + a strong external.

enoilgam

HSC
A person could potentially achieve this ATAR at a low ranking school provided that they came first across the board and did extremely well in the final exams.

To the OP, you have a pretty decent combination of subjects from a scaling standpoint. If you enjoy them and do well in them, you will be rewarded with a solid ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)