How to handle uni group assignments???? (1 Viewer)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
So I have this group and they are not doing anything. I've tried to engage them by asking question's on facebook about their opinion on how we should approach the project but ALL they have done is just "like" my posts and have given no actual commentary or something I can work with. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Anyone have any group assignment horror stories they want to share? + some tips would be appreciated as well. :D

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Well this will vary but I can think of a few reasons why they aren't responding. If you are the brightest/studious in the group they may feel timid in talking so it's best if you try to talk in a non-condescending way, the second reason is maybe they have other assignments (due quite soon) that they need to do.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Well this will vary but I can think of a few reasons why they aren't responding. If you are the brightest/studious in the group they may feel timid in talking so it's best if you try to talk in a non-condescending way, the second reason is maybe they have other assignments (due quite soon) that they need to do.
I don't think I'm being condescending in my posts? I'm just saying stuff like 'Hey who would be interested in doing causes/treatment etc' and I wouldn't mind if they didn't answer for a couple of days but its been a week already!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I don't think I'm being condescending in my posts? I'm just saying stuff like 'Hey who would be interested in doing causes/treatment etc' and I wouldn't mind if they didn't answer for a couple of days but its been a week already!
Didn't say you were, just making sure...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If people aren't answering maybe to suggest XYZ to a certain part of the assignment?

D94

HSC
N/A
Just give people direct tasks to do and go from there (obviously depends on the assignment).

hungry

HSC
lol i know the feel, we have a group chat and I messaged them about it, they saw it but never replied :/

enoilgam

HSC
My solution to large and important assignments was to pretty much take control from the get go and go from there. First, I'd test out my partners by delegating minor tasks to them in order to assess their skills. If they were rubbish, I just gave them minor jobs (i.e. a power point presentation, editing or research). If they were decent, I gave them tasks I wasn't good at doing. For smaller assignments, I just let go a bit, but I always made sure that responsibilities/deadlines were established from the beginning. I also established deadlines which were realistic but quite removed from the due date. This approach was pretty effective and I never had any major issues/conflicts.

That being said, it's not a habit to get into. If you want to get into management at work, you need to learn to establish trust with people and delegate. I guess at uni, you dont have much time and you just want the assignment done, but it doesnt help you much in the workplace by being controlling.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Also, if your group is doing nothing, then maybe that is a sign that you need to take initiative and do it yourself. My philosophy was always that as long as I got good marks, I could careless if others did nothing and profited off my work. I also never reported lazy teammates because the process was a massive pain and that isn't really my way at all.

mreditor16

HSC
My solution to large and important assignments was to pretty much take control from the get go and go from there. First, I'd test out my partners by delegating minor tasks to them in order to assess their skills. If they were rubbish, I just gave them minor jobs (i.e. a power point presentation, editing or research). If they were decent, I gave them tasks I wasn't good at doing. For smaller assignments, I just let go a bit, but I always made sure that responsibilities/deadlines were established from the beginning. I also established deadlines which were realistic but quite removed from the due date. This approach was pretty effective and I never had any major issues/conflicts.

That being said, it's not a habit to get into. If you want to get into management at work, you need to learn to establish trust with people and delegate. I guess at uni, you dont have much time and you just want the assignment done, but it doesnt help you much in the workplace by being controlling.
Also, if your group is doing nothing, then maybe that is a sign that you need to take initiative and do it yourself. My philosophy was always that as long as I got good marks, I could careless if others did nothing and profited off my work. I also never reported lazy teammates because the process was a massive pain and that isn't really my way at all.
WOW this is pretty much me!! Yep absolutely second these posts. Literally mirror my approach

Ethicks

HSC
You need to stop being a soft cock and bluntly tell them what they MUST do then make threats if need be. People in my group do what they're told I don't put up with nonsense.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Some uni assignments have a peer rating score for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)