How much will poor cohorts and a low ranking school drag down your ATAR ? (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
I goto a 500+ ranked school and the cohorts are average/below average.

I'm ranked fairly good in all my subjects and I was wondering since i have a high rank, will their performance still drag down my ATAR ?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Because you're not first, yes.

You have to be as close to first as possible, and they have to be good, not comparable to the rest of the 'shit' cohort.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
To be frank, high achievers at low ranking schools may be a little disadvantaged because of the system, while average achievers at high ranking schools may benefit a little.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Does bos ever scale down your marks ?
They always scale your marks down unless if you get ~100 aligned marks in certain subjects, MX2 is the only subject iirc that scales up without the need of getting extremely high marks.

kietkiet

HSC
Everyone gets scaled and aligned fairly like the whole state. They don't say "OH JAMES RUSE, ALIGN 30 EXAM MARK TO 98", no.
That's good I suppose. It just really bugs me that my HSC year don't give a dam about their results, majority of then are going HSC subjects but aren't going for an ATAR and they aren't even studying. Freaking anchors man ....

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, not really. After all, what you did would've gotten you into the place where you are. The scaling is designed to account for all that stuff.

Honestly, the environment that you work in such as going to a better school with a stronger cohort makes you work harder would probably have a bigger net effect on your marks than the scaling due to your school because that ultimately is a result of your work ethic throughout the year.

czhuu

HSC
It shouldn't matter so long as you get the top marks needed

braintic

HSC
N/A
Assume that you are dead on average in your cohort. However everyone in the cohort (other than you) underperforms by 10 marks due to slackness. So yes, the school average is dragged down by 10 marks. But you are now 10 marks above average. So you get the same mark.

Unlike what some other people say, your cohort does not affect your result. It is true that the system is not perfect, but the errors are random and not systemic.

People who argue otherwise don't understand the system as well they they believe they do.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, not really. After all, what you did would've gotten you into the place where you are. The scaling is designed to account for all that stuff.

Honestly, the environment that you work in such as going to a better school with a stronger cohort makes you work harder would probably have a bigger net effect on your marks than the scaling due to your school because that ultimately is a result of your work ethic throughout the year.
It depends on the person I think, it doesn't work for everyone.

D94

HSC
N/A
Assume that you are dead on average in your cohort. However everyone in the cohort (other than you) underperforms by 10 marks due to slackness. So yes, the school average is dragged down by 10 marks. But you are now 10 marks above average. So you get the same mark.
I must be misunderstanding your scenario:

A = {90, 89, 88, 87, 86, 85, 84, 83, 82, 81, 80} - Average = 85
B = {80, 79, 78, 77, 76, 85, 74, 73, 72, 71, 70} - Average = 75.91, which means the difference is less than 10.

Based on this, the process of moderation will take into account the higher relative average, which will (apparently) affect your mark.

Elaborate on your point.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
wont affect you if you're topping all of you're subjects meaning all 1st. the highest mark in your subject will be setting your marks to be aggregated in externals with internal marks so being in a shit school, unless the particular year is full of possible 90 atars, you'll have to pretty much set the standard
for everyone in your class during internals and externals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)