How much study do you do per day in Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

HSC
The thing is; whenever I start an assignment/homework, when I start it, I just do it and don't look back, taking breaks in between. But just the thought of getting out of my seat and getting the stuff out of my bag, I just get so lazy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just develop study habits so you can start doing the real work in the HSC year.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
So I started Year 11 this year, and at least year our teachers continously said that it is a major step between Year 10 and Year 11, and I think it is actually.
In Year 10, I was completely leniant with my studies. I couldn't care less.
But once I hit Year 11, it had struck me how much work I should be doing to get good marks.

Basically, if you are willing to take advice from a student who is about to finish Year 11, take this time to realise your best study habits, how you work (individually or in a group) and your strongest and weakest points.
Don't make a goal to get ranked 1, or to get the top marks, because honestly, like everyone else has said, doesn't count.
But! If you learn what works for you and which ways you study best, you can place all your time into learning your subjects in Year 12, than struggling on how to study.

All in all, used Year 11 to gain study skills, not to gain marks.

pinupgirl

HSC
Sigh, after reading this I really wished I hadn't put in as much effort for year 11...
my school has this weird policy with ext subjects so basically I have been struggling to finish one assessment after another =.=

Atm, i'm topping quite a few subjects. >< expecting a bunch of randoms to kill me next yr now...
):

caelynne

HSC
Hmmm my Prelims start tomorrow and there's nothing that I would really re-do in Year 11. I do agree with developing study habits and also gathering resources. It's important that you have a good idea of what you want to do next year and start really refining your skills (for me, it's refining my essay technique so I won't need to worry about expression and all that stuff next year, and also consistently doing maths homework so I won't feel overloaded when Ext 2 comes next year!). You don't need exceptional marks for Year 11, just passable to good marks will do, but make sure you know everything by the end so you won't spend Year 12 revising what basic foundation stuff are! :)

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed with everyone who said about study habits. Year 11 is the year where you find what's comfortable with studying and it's the base of Year 12, the wood of a boat. If you find a good way to study then Year 12 will be a walk in a park.

horsefreak

HSC
Random comment
But does anyone have the 2011 independent trial paper for legal ?

horsefreak

HSC
lol; slightly
i need to just to the essay questions on family and world order.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Wait... what?

I'm in year 10, and I'm doing advanced english, biology, chemistry, blah blah.. here I am stressing over the fact that I need a really good ATAR to become a doctor, and that I'd have to get 90%+ in every assignment and exam in year 11 and 12.. and you say year 11 doesn't COUNT?

I'm confused. I've been mislead. :( Is the ATAR calculated with year 11 + 12 results, or are the year 12 assignments and exams the only ones that count towards the ATAR?

If only year 12 counts.. thank god. I don't think I'd last two years of 2-3 hours a day studying (which was my plan). I'll be able to take it easy in year 11, do light study, understand everything. Then do heavy study, memorize and perfect the subjects for year 12. If that makes sense. D:
Only Year 12 counts to your final ATAR and HSC mark.
Don't worry, I got mislead to when I was in Year 10.

And, yes, use Year 11 to gain study skills, and take it easy. Allow the subjects you have chosen to sink in, I suppose.
The moment you transition from Year 11 to Year 12, is where it starts to count (ranking, assignment marks etc)
but when you are Year 11, although teachers say to study hard and get good marks, you should be much rather concentrating on ways in which you study the best, rather than cramming to get the best mark/

Trust me, if i got told this in the beginning of the year when I was going into Year 11, i wouldn't have as many sleepless nights trying to study ;)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Wait... what?

I'm in year 10, and I'm doing advanced english, biology, chemistry, blah blah.. here I am stressing over the fact that I need a really good ATAR to become a doctor, and that I'd have to get 90%+ in every assignment and exam in year 11 and 12.. and you say year 11 doesn't COUNT?

I'm confused. I've been mislead. :( Is the ATAR calculated with year 11 + 12 results, or are the year 12 assignments and exams the only ones that count towards the ATAR?

If only year 12 counts.. thank god. I don't think I'd last two years of 2-3 hours a day studying (which was my plan). I'll be able to take it easy in year 11, do light study, understand everything. Then do heavy study, memorize and perfect the subjects for year 12. If that makes sense. D:
:rotfl: OMFG that whole post was brilliant. If you're a troll then good work. If not then take it easy man, no need to stress out so much.

Lucas_

HSC
Year 11 is definitely a big step up from Year 10. In Year 10 I did more or less no homework, and only did my assignments the night before. Somehow, I managed to get a school certificate of all band 5's and 6's with a few mid range 90's. Now i'm in Year 11 with less than a week to go until our prelims, and I can vouch that year 11 is MUCH harder. This year I completely changed my game plan, doing 2 hours + of homework a night and Year 11 has been incredibly tough. Even though I only do mid range subjects such as Chemistry, Physics, Adv English, Economics, Mathmatics etc, I am still finding the workload grueling.

Bottem line:
Stuff around in year 10 and you still get a good school certificate because its a joke.
Do 2 hrs + of homework a night in Year 11 should get you pretty right, and don't do assessments the night before :p

frebbb

HSC
I don't find Year 11 to be that different from Year 10. I rarely start my assignments early, and only ever do enough homework each night to make sure the teachers don't get annoyed at me. I have been doing this all year, and I've been getting good reports. There is more work and it's a little bit harder, but a lot of it is more interesting than your bland Year 10 subjects, and generally people at this age are able to handle the work quite easily. Because Year 11 doesn't affect your ATAR, I would say to just do all the necessary homework and don't bother stressing about it. Depending on your subjects/whether any important assignments are due, you really don't need to do more than 1 hour a night.

HSC
Uni Grad
My school diary has like how much you need to do 'study' or homework. For Year 11 based on a 12 unit course it's about 2.5-3 hours per 2 unit subject and it's about 16 hours a week in total. For Year 12, per 2 unit based on a 12 unit course it's 3.5 hours which is about 21 hours a week in total.

exiled

HSC
No point doing 3 hours of study if you don't have 3 hours worth of things to study.

Take it easy and do as much as you have to. Also, be consistent with your note taking and start your assessments early so you can fine tune them before you have to hand them in.

Galvez

HSC
Year 11 is definitely a major stepping stone from Year 10. I wouldn't even bother trying for the School Certificate, because it is completely pointless unless you are dropping out which is at this point impossible since you have to be 17 years of age and have a full time job, or have an apprenticeship for something.

Every thing that you learn in Year 11, is vital information that you need to possess in mind for the HSC Course. Prelim is basically preparing you for the HSC, so its covering more of your courses, which you will indeed have to revisit for Year 12.

My advice - Do your homework & revise before exams. It definitely pays off, and you will see great results.

PhysicsGirl

HSC
Try in Year 11. It's not quite a big transition from Yr 10. It is basically just a practice run; just preparing you for the HSC. And there's no need to study 3+ hours, just make sure you understand the concepts taught in class, do your homework, build up good study habits and you should be fine. Don't feel compelled to study overloads, if you do that, you'll have no energy left for the HSC. Don't stress about the results as nothing really counts, but build up good study habits so you don't make another issue for yourself to deal with in the HSC.

Zeroes

HSC
I wouldn't set a specific number, just do what you need to do to understand the course and learn what you need to. Also this is assuming homework is included in study. I never did any actual revision/note-making study except before tests and things went okay.
Practice questions > making notes

theycallmebob

HSC
dude. i have done 0 hours of study all year for yr 11. except for assessments in which i have left it to the night before and done all-nighters and failed 2 of them. other than that i am doing great.

so what i would say to you is; don't worry too much about studying unless you have an assessment coming up. in that case, get it done as soon as you can, at least a few days before its due so you have time to send you teachers drafts.

if you pay attention in class and take notes, you really don't need to study. although it can't hurt - 30min to 1 hour would be more than enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)