How much study do you do per day in Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

HSC
About half an hour a day, or maybe an hour?

I'm in year 10 and a few months ago, we had this study skills program where this woman said that Year 11 is so much work, and like 3+ hours, and those who are really motivated, its like 4+ hours. Is there really need for you to burn yourself out like that before the HSC?

I also want to know; is Year 11 a big step from Year 10? Because, in Yr 10, a lot of students complain about homework, but I don't find it a big deal, and frankly think it's a joke.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
About half an hour a day, or maybe an hour?

I'm in year 10 and a few months ago, we had this study skills program where this woman said that Year 11 is so much work, and like 3+ hours, and those who are really motivated, its like 4+ hours. Is there really need for you to burn yourself out like that before the HSC?

I also want to know; is Year 11 a big step from Year 10? Because, in Yr 10, a lot of students complain about homework, but I don't find it a big deal, and frankly think it's a joke.
1-3 hours should suffice in Preliminary. But it depends on your quality of work.

HSC
Okay, but it is for surely not 3+ hours a day or more? Why burn yourself out like that when nothing in Year 11 counts?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Okay, but it is for surely not 3+ hours a day or more? Why burn yourself out like that when nothing in Year 11 counts?
Yes. My strong recommendation to you, even if you are saving your energy for the HSC develop some study skills and try out different study methods. Also understand all concepts.

Alkanes

HSC
True. Don't go too overboard or else you'll run outta gas. For me just completing most of my homework is study for the day. I study when exam periods are closer such as the prelims which is next week! omg..

Gigacube

HSC
There are some contents in the preliminary course that may be tested in the HSC. E.g. Mathematics.

What subjects are you planning on doing?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
So 1 and a hour should suffice? Just revising of notes?
Please please please please please. Even if it's not going to be tested in the HSC. Some content might build on others. Hence, you do not want to put a strenuously load on yourself and not learn a topic but then having to revise on it later in the year. Please please please ask your teacher for help early if you are struggling. Please please please be consistent with your study.

enoilgam

HSC
Dont get caught in the trap of saying "I want to do X hours per day", because sometimes you will end up doing pointless work just for the sake of working for a certain amount of time. Just make sure you do enough to understand the concepts and make sure you are doing quality work (because quality>quantity). However, with study, its mostly about what works for you. So you really need to find out what study strategies are most effective for you personally.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
lol. prelim is such a joke. no one who topped a prelim subject at my skool is topping that same subject this year.
the guy who topped chem this year at my skool wasnt even in the top 20 in prelim. so dont even bother studying bcuz its a waste of time cuz no one else is actually trying in prelim.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Even if it's for nothing, it's good to understand and build habits.

HSC
LOL, of course I plan to do that; I will try to deal with all my "issues" in year 11 and rectify them so I don't have to deal with them in HSC time.

enoilgam

HSC
lol. prelim is such a joke. no one who topped a prelim subject at my skool is topping that same subject this year.
the guy who topped chem this year at my skool wasnt even in the top 20 in prelim. so dont even bother studying bcuz its a waste of time cuz no one else is actually trying in prelim.
You need to develop good study habits and strategies though. I remember in year 12, we had what me and my mate called "one term/one semester wonders". They were smart guys who hadnt done jack in the previous years of high school and at the begining of year 12 decided to go all out with study. They only lasted one term/semester and by trial time, they were burned out because they had no experience with how to study and how to avoid burn out. Now, I'm not saying this is the case for all students, but for most, you need to have developed good study habits/strategies BEFORE entering year 12 .

HSC
It is not good for me to be stressing so much about this right know; I need to be just enjoying Year 10 before everything starts.

thoth1

Banned
HSC
You need to develop good study habits and strategies though. I remember in year 12, we had what me and my mate called "one term/one semester wonders". They were smart guys who hadnt done jack in the previous years of high school and at the begining of year 12 decided to go all out with study. They only lasted one term/semester and by trial time, they were burned out because they had no experience with how to study and how to avoid burn out. Now, I'm not saying this is the case for all students, but for most, you need to have developed good study habits/strategies BEFORE entering year 12 .
yeh but i no kids from my skool who studied hard in yr 11 and thought they were doing well but now are fuked in yr 12. theres this one guy who was ranked 18th in english last year and this year hes struggling to make the top 150.

enoilgam

HSC
yeh but i no kids from my skool who studied hard in yr 11 and thought they were doing well but now are fuked in yr 12. theres this one guy who was ranked 18th in english last year and this year hes struggling to make the top 150.
That happened at my school as well, some studied hard in year 11 and burned out by year 12. What I'm trying to say is forming good study habits in year 11 and to a lesser extent the earlier years of high school helps prepare most people for year 12. However, in saying that, you shouldnt over do it in year 11 and stress to much about results because you dont want to burn out before year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)