How many hours a year for Maths Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Ideally, how many hours a year should a student put inside and outside for Maths Extension 1? What would be a rough estimate in terms of the workload of study.

leehuan

HSC
This question is ambiguous.

Past papers till you grasp all the concepts is also an ambiguous answer, but that's all I can say.

Textbook -> Formula sheet (opt.) -> Harder textbook questions -> Past papers all the way from there

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I dont study for extension 1
ok big boi

In all seriousness though it depends on the person

You will personally find some topics more difficult to grasp than others, hence having to spend more time on these topics

Then there will be those topics which you will find easier to grasp, hence having to spend less time on these topics

Don't quantify the amount of hours of study, just spend as much time as you need to grasp a certain concept before moving on because there is a high chance that this topic (The four most important to conceptually understand are probably algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus) will be used in other topics. For instance, I've seen many questions where they combine trigonometry with polynomials.

Good Luck :)

Revitalize

HSC
Ideally, you just want to spend as much time as needed to understand the concept. However, some people spend their whole nights doing 3U work and end up dropping due to stress.

You just have to remember to balance all of your subjects out and put aside maybe 1-2 hours a night to do homework and revise/study.
You can get away with less study time, but 3U is on-off. The beginning of the topics require less time, while* the harder end of the topic will require more time to fully grasp the concept.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I read somewhere that a minimum of 190 hours study workload (and yes I know it depends on the person) is a required workload for this subject in 1 year.

I feel like that's about right for a HSC and Prelim level year.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Don't study with the aim getting in hours, study task-based. With the first approach, you true goal is to get x amount of hours, do you think focus levels will be concentrated enough for those hours? Unlikely. On the latter approach, your goals are clearly defined and you have a more convincing reason to why you're studying.

At the end of the day, you can ask yourself if you have studied enough. But let's look at it from two differing perspectives.

1) Heavy hours: you just blasted through 12 hours (including breaks) and feel satisfied. But did you do much? Was all the time spent directed to studying and did you it efficiently?

2) Task-based: teared through three chapters of extension 1 maths and did one ext1 math Sydney Grammar past papers, that's a lot of work

Hours of studying is different for everyone and you shouldn't be concerned by the number of hours you are studying.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Well looking at the HSC year

There 7 main topics: Induction, Iterative methods, Integration techniques, Inverse functions, Binomial theorem, Probability, Applications of Calculus in the real world

My thinking is obviously you need someone good to explain all those concepts, looking at say 20 hours x 7=140, with about 50 hours to do the questions ranging from textbooks, exam papers. It's a very rough estimate but in a HSC year, every hour counts and balancing time with other subjects its always good to plan ahead I guess.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I've always been a person very time conscious and I think maths more than other subjects can be a time consuming subject if you don't have the right people or good preparation .

taco_26

HSC
Textbook -> Formula sheet (opt.) -> Harder textbook questions -> Past papers all the way from there
I'd avoid relying on the formula sheet at all. If one is dependent on the formula sheet, one does not truly understand the concept. As a result, one is screwed.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I think the formula sheet is imperative. I mean I have Warlick Marlin's two formula books, and its a test in itself to remember about 80 pages worth of formulae. Memorizing is not how I go about things, but there are some things in this unit you just have to know before you even twelve into certain questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)