How hard is it to get a 90+ mark in English? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Pre-planned essays will only get you a ~17 at most if you do not answer the question. Best advice I can give you is to practice your prepared essay in a time limit (say 40 mins) to a question. Try to adapt your essay to answer the question. You might have excellent content and analysis, but your probably lacking the higher marks because you don't integrate the question into your response. It's not good enough to answer the Q in the topic+concluding sentences if you want that 20/20.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Pre-planned essays will only get you a ~17 at most if you do not answer the question. Best advice I can give you is to practice your prepared essay in a time limit (say 40 mins) to a question. Try to adapt your essay to answer the question. You might have excellent content and analysis, but your probably lacking the higher marks because you don't integrate the question into your response. It's not good enough to answer the Q in the topic+concluding sentences if you want that 20/20.
Yeah, that's probably the reason why. I don't really have time to adapt it that much. I just change the thesis/topic sentences and go from there. But that's because I'm writing 1000+ words in 40 minutes which really doesn't leave me much time to think. And I never have the time to sit down and do a practice exam because I don't like having my hand half-dead before the exam. Maybe I should do a draft instead and type it on the computer to save time =/ As long as I get to have the chance to adapt my essays.

bmacks

HSC
N/A
Make sure you genuinely answer the question rather than write out a prepared essay, answer/relate back to the question in the intro, each topic sentence for each paragraph and each concluding sentence for each paragraph, and the conclusion. Understand the syllabus for each module and write conceptually in each essay rather than textually. Don't write about the texts, write about the concepts of each module, using the texts as evidence.

yours

HSC
Make sure you genuinely answer the question rather than write out a prepared essay, answer/relate back to the question in the intro, each topic sentence for each paragraph and each concluding sentence for each paragraph, and the conclusion. Understand the syllabus for each module and write conceptually in each essay rather than textually. Don't write about the texts, write about the concepts of each module, using the texts as evidence.
Though different texts often demonstrate different points. It's fine to do text by text paragraphs if you make significant links in the topic sentences. One problem with integrating all the texts in every paragraph is that people tend to cherry-pick quotes, which leads to a superficial understanding of the text that isn't particularly convincing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)